January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

What is our current wage policy?

Nobody knows. That includes yourself yet you seem convinced that Lambert could have signed these players, the point Lockstock is making and that several people including myself have made is that perhaps we couldn't sign them, perhaps we couldn't afford the wages.

You are being critical of Lambert for not signing these players but the point people are trying to get over to you and seemingly failing to get you to even consider is that it may never have been an option.

Nobody knows what the exact wage limitations are, there will obviously be a limit. It certainly appeared that we needed to shift Collins before we could bring Vlaar in so I think it is fairly reasonable to assume that Lambert didn't really have all that much excess capacity to play with.

Regardless though we know you would have liked these players, everyone knows. But they've gone elsewhere now so rather than us going round and round and round in circles about them and the last window how about we stick to talking about players we could or might sign this coming window? It would be a little more productive and certainly more relevant to a topic about the January transfer window.

You can't criticise Lambert for the summer. With what he was given, how it had to be conducted and how much he needed it was going to be a difficult task.

Only one man you can criticise IMO.

I agree. Over the summer we needed both quantity and quality. With a net spend of 17 mill and what appears to be a very tight wage structure we were never going to achieve both.

I still maintain that in January we desperately need 2 or 3 players of proven quality at this level and that will undoubtedly cost in both fees and wages.

• Like 1

I agree. Over the summer we needed both quantity and quality. With a net spend of 17 mill and what appears to be a very tight wage structure we were never going to achieve both.

I still maintain that in January we desperately need 2 or 3 players of proven quality at this level and that will undoubtedly cost in both fees and wages.

I agree with you both.

Nobody knows. That includes yourself yet you seem convinced that Lambert could have signed these players, the point Lockstock is making and that several people including myself have made is that perhaps we couldn't sign them, perhaps we couldn't afford the wages.

You are being critical of Lambert for not signing these players but the point people are trying to get over to you and seemingly failing to get you to even consider is that it may never have been an option.

Nobody knows what the exact wage limitations are, there will obviously be a limit. It certainly appeared that we needed to shift Collins before we could bring Vlaar in so I think it is fairly reasonable to assume that Lambert didn't really have all that much excess capacity to play with.

Regardless though we know you would have liked these players, everyone knows. But they've gone elsewhere now so rather than us going round and round and round in circles about them and the last window how about we stick to talking about players we could or might sign this coming window? It would be a little more productive and certainly more relevant to a topic about the January transfer window.

The reason why i asked the poster the question was that he implied that there was a wage cap in place when no-one really knows if that is the case?

I would however argue that since we put in a bid for Clint Dempsey, then the right wages would be made available for the right players. I don't believe that the bid for Dempsey was a fake bid concerning the transfer of Benteke because what if Dempsey had actually said yes and then Lambert said no? Lambert would have been made to look a fool.

So you'll excuse me if i continue to believe that the players i have mentioned were actually an option but simply not considered by Lambert due to his own transfer policy and again Lambert has already stated that he didn't use all of his budget in the summer and again, Lambert has already stated that the chairman had made funds available for more experienced Premiership players but Lambert chose not to go down that route.

The reason why i asked the poster the question was that he implied that there was a wage cap in place when no-one really knows if that is the case?

Obviously there is a wage cap in place. Every single club in the country, seemingly even Man City due to their lack of summer activity and their managers bitching have a wage cap. Plus everything that has happened at the club over the last 24-30 months supports the idea that not only is one in place at Villa but that it is more restricted than in the O'Neill era.

As I've already said to you the circumstances surrounding the signing of Vlaar also support this belief as does every interview McLeish gave in his time at the club.

To try and argue otherwise, that there is no wage limitation or cap or budget, call it what you will, is utterly utterly ridiculous and anyone doing so can't really be taken seriously. To be honest it is beyond me how anyone can suggest one isn't in place.

I would however argue that since we put in a bid for Clint Dempsey, then the right wages would be made available for the right players. I don't believe that the bid for Dempsey was a fake bid concerning the transfer of Benteke because what if Dempsey had actually said yes and then Lambert said no? Lambert would have been made to look a fool.

Nobody thinks that was a fake bid, do they? We aren't living in the Ellis era any more. That said I fail to see how that means there isn't a limitation on wages or that Lambert isn't working with a budget. Had we signed Dempsey we probably wouldn't have signed some of the other players we signed.

So you'll excuse me if i continue to believe that the players i have mentioned were actually an option but simply not considered by Lambert due to his own transfer policy and again Lambert has already stated that he didn't use all of his budget in the summer and again, Lambert has already stated that the chairman had made funds available for more experienced Premiership players but Lambert chose not to go down that route.

That may well be but the point is he still has his limitations in terms of wages and he is deciding how to get the most of them. Given the small squad he inherited it is hardly surprising that he seemingly tried to bring in a large number of players rather than a few on larger salaries. Personally, I have more faith in Lambert and his judge of players and what is needed than I do in yours, no offence intended, no personal slight, it is just a case of simple logic that I think he has better understanding and judgement. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, obviously you can, just don't be surprised if posters including myself don't agree with you.

Anyway you seem to have missed my point, the main point was that you have made it extremely clear which players you think he should have signed. This though is a thread about January not last summer so lets not keep going over the same names you think he could or should have signed, lets stick to talking about the ones he might do next month.

I'm glad he didn't either.

I think he realised we had 'enough' premier league experienced players on our books already without adding more.

He is the manager, it is his team and he should be left to his own devices to build the team he see's fit to get us where we want to be.

For me I am very happy in the new direction we are going in regards to building our new team.

We are desperate for a winger similar to Ashley young. We need someone who can run at players and create something from it. Really hope Lambert looks into this in January

I thought this type of player was a priority in the summer.

It really must be come january.

Talking of bearded Swedes, we should buy Nicklas Kronwall from the NHL while we're at it. He can just stand around the middle of the park and level anyone who goes forward! He's even harder than Benteke.

They just call him the Wall

You have just made me really sad about the lockout. Free my hockey.

Obviously there is a wage cap in place. Every single club in the country, seemingly even Man City due to their lack of summer activity and their managers bitching have a wage cap. Plus everything that has happened at the club over the last 24-30 months supports the idea that not only is one in place at Villa but that it is more restricted than in the O'Neill era.

As I've already said to you the circumstances surrounding the signing of Vlaar also support this belief as does every interview McLeish gave in his time at the club.

To try and argue otherwise, that there is no wage limitation or cap or budget, call it what you will, is utterly utterly ridiculous and anyone doing so can't really be taken seriously. To be honest it is beyond me how anyone can suggest one isn't in place.

Nobody thinks that was a fake bid, do they? We aren't living in the Ellis era any more. That said I fail to see how that means there isn't a limitation on wages or that Lambert isn't working with a budget. Had we signed Dempsey we probably wouldn't have signed some of the other players we signed.

That may well be but the point is he still has his limitations in terms of wages and he is deciding how to get the most of them. Given the small squad he inherited it is hardly surprising that he seemingly tried to bring in a large number of players rather than a few on larger salaries. Personally, I have more faith in Lambert and his judge of players and what is needed than I do in yours, no offence intended, no personal slight, it is just a case of simple logic that I think he has better understanding and judgement. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, obviously you can, just don't be surprised if posters including myself don't agree with you.

Anyway you seem to have missed my point, the main point was that you have made it extremely clear which players you think he should have signed. This though is a thread about January not last summer so lets not keep going over the same names you think he could or should have signed, lets stick to talking about the ones he might do next month.

The bid on Dempsey was put in towards the end of the transfer window so i don't see how it would have affected the rest of our transfer business in the summer.

I would also hazard a guess that Dempsey would have asked for wages on a par with Bent to sign for us and surely Lambert and Lerner would have both been aware of that so although there might very well be a wage cap, i don't think it would be as severe as some might think if the right players were available.

I also agree that Lambert is much more qualified to purchase players than any of us but even the very best managers have bought poorly so their position does not automatically make them infallible, much in the same way as any fan can judge a player too prematurely.

No i didn't miss your point concerning the last and most immediate window but just wanted to get my point across in which has been a very fair and enjoyable debate.

to be random, im really starting to dislike makoun more every day

what a huge waste of money he is, its like he never had any intention of really playing, just signed the contract for the money and fu ck ed off back home, so he could sit on the fat pay check every week

now obviously i dont know the full story but its like he was never interested in trying, considering the amount of money involved, he should of tried

but GENERALLY speaking, i dislike the signing of african players (not being racist before anyone plays the race card) we just never seem to get anything good from them

I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions there Andy, and i don't think it's fair to be against signing African players purely because of a few bad experiences (e.g. Makoun and Salifou). Benteke is originally from Africa as well.

We have a load of money tied up in players that are contributing sweet f a. Once these have been moved we will be able to buy some quality

We've heard the same for the past few years. The majority are gone now.

Guesstimates

Warnock 40k

Dunne 40k

Hutton 40k

Makoun 30k

Delph 30k

Delfouenso 15k

I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions there Andy, and i don't think it's fair to be against signing African players purely because of a few bad experiences (e.g. Makoun and Salifou). Benteke is originally from Africa as well.

Salifou? Not only is the man a legend on and off the pitch, but on a serious note he cost peanuts and never once let the club down in the way Makoun seems to have done.

The original poster needs to have a wee think about what he's saying before casting a suspicious eye over an entire race of people based on one silly clearing in the woods with an even sillier jumper.