General England thread

kurtsimonw

its obvious. which player would have most to gain by his uncle Harry Redknapp getting the England job and him back in the team ;)

Dunno think everyone's knows now there is no chance HR would be appointed. Think it would be more likely a certain striker who could take offence to the comment and who plays for the same club as Townsend

Who wants to sign my petition that England are racist for playing in such a white kit? Until they play in a rainbow kit all England matches should be boycotted. 

I also think banning the words 'black and 'white' should be made a priority...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Who wants to sign my petition that England are racist for playing in such a white kit? Until they play in a rainbow kit all England matches should be boycotted.

I like it. Gay friendly, so that's another base covered. ;)

this to me is where kick it out should really step up and distinguish themselves from idiots like him at the justice league of black lawyers or whatever they are called, just come out and say nothing to see here lets focus on tackling actual problems rather than people crying wolf, things like this will just create apathy towards their cause

also see on twitter it hasn't taken the Liverpool fans long to bring up the 8 match ban...

Same goes with managers you either good enough or not doesn't matter about race.

No more than a couple of decades or so ago, we'd have been saying the same about any high-ranking job.

Affirmative action is bollocks, I have to say, but to say we should completely ignore any discrepancies when it comes to race/sex in well paying positions compared to the general population is wide of the mark, IMO.

Not that this has much to do with what Hodgson said.

Our media care more about a big story than the England team. Case proved was the Rooney prostitute story came out just before the 2010 World Cup for bigger headlines. They had that story for months. It clearly effected his form.

Same goes with managers you either good enough or not doesn't matter about race.

No more than a couple of decades or so ago, we'd have been saying the same about any high-ranking job.

Affirmative action is bollocks, I have to say, but to say we should completely ignore any discrepancies when it comes to race/sex in well paying positions compared to the general population is wide of the mark, IMO.

It depends what benchmark you use though.  I think there are 4 black managers in the league at the moment (Chris Hughton, Paul Ince, Chris Kiwomya, and Chris Powell) which doesn't look great, but 4/92 is about right when you consider that just under 4% of the general population are black.  

Some 30% of the players in the league are "non white" though (this means black, asian and oriental I guess) and the overwhelming majority of that group are black. Some people think the number of black people in senior positions in football should be similar to the number of black players in football.  The number will almost certainly increase as time goes by, but who is to say what the right number is?  Also what about Asians? There are a lot more people who are ethnically from the Indian subcontinent in the UK than there are black people but you almost never hear anything about their lack of presence in the game other than the usual lines that culturally those people are more likely to pour energy into cricket or academia. 

• Like 1

this to me is where kick it out should really step up and distinguish themselves from idiots like him at the justice league of black lawyers or whatever they are called, just come out and say nothing to see here lets focus on tackling actual problems rather than people crying wolf, things like this will just create apathy towards their cause

Why would they? Their funding and hence their roles and jobs are dependant upon making the impression that racism is prevalent, persistent and endemic in football. They will take any opportunity to raise their own profile, indeed, anyone would do the same in their situation when their funding depends on it. That is the problem with any 'awareness raising' campaign or organisation. 

Yes, racism is persistent in football but I still find it hard to believe that anyone who goes to games at any level in this country hasn't come to the conclusion that there's far, far more racism in society as a whole. There are just a lot of campaign bodies who want to use the high profile of football to promote their own cause. In some ways I find this okay but when we have the most inclusive, multicultural league in the world it can get a bit sickening. I mean, there was a story a few weeks ago that less than a third of playing time in the Premier League was played by English players. Quite literally it is the most inclusive, multicultural league in the world, you will quite inevitably encounter more racism working in any other industry, they should go worry about that for a change. 

Â