General England thread

kurtsimonw

The most damning statistic of the last few days is that Danny Welbeck gained his 20th England cap last evening.

An average player, not fully established in the first team of his club, and who scored one Premier League goal last season.

The future is definitely not bright.

People moaning about the England defence, remind me how many goals did England concede in the qualifiers again? Joint best defence in Europe with Greece and Spain.

and Belgium, but its against better sides where our defence may struggle. Against Poland we were lucky not to concede.

Edited by PaulC

People moaning about the England defence, remind me how many goals did England concede in the qualifiers again? Joint best defence in Europe with Greece and Spain.

and Belgium, but its against better sides where our defence may struggle. Against Poland we were lucky not to concede.

Poland had 2 shots on target.

Poland had 2 shots on target.

Yes but Lewandowski missed a couple of chances you would expect a player of his quality to put away. We won't be so fortunate against better teams. Our vunerability down the centre will be exposed.

If they were playing in a league format that would mean something, as they weren't it doesn't really.

yes but that defence wasn't a CB pairing of jones and smalling like that line up suggests....

hopefully walker has finally pushed out Johnson, id be happy with cole or baines and cahill / jagielka whilst not inspiring are probably as good as we'll get and both decent enough, same for hart

which again questions the journos in this country, why when we've had a good defence in qualifying would a journo suggest pairing 2 bit part players who both play RB every other week at utd at the WC? I often criticise the mentality of roy for naming them in the squad, but journos are obviously suggesting they deserve to play, which is ludicrous

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

yes but that defence wasn't a CB pairing of jones and smalling like that line up suggests....

hopefully walker has finally pushed out Johnson, id be happy with cole or baines and cahill / jagielka whilst not inspiring are probably as good as we'll get and both decent enough, same for hart

which again questions the journos in this country, why when we've had a good defence in qualifying would a journo suggest pairing 2 bit part players who both play RB every other week at utd at the WC? I often criticise the mentality of roy for naming them in the squad, but journos are obviously suggesting they deserve to play, which is ludicrous

Which centre backs would you pick ahead of Smalling and Jones in the squad? I don't agree with the article that Cahill and Jagielka should be dropped. I don't think either are top class internationally (especially Jagielka) but they've formed a relatively successful partnership and obviously shouldn't be dropped favour of two inexperienced players who are not even first choice for their club.

However, I can't think of any other centre backs I'd rather have in the squad than Smalling and Jones. These two look like the future pairing for England and integrating them into the squad seems like a good idea. They are both versatile players also.

There isn't an embarrassment of riches. After these four, it's the likes of Shawcross, Dawson, Caulker and Curtis Davies.

Â