General England thread

kurtsimonw

Its complete bollocks to try and force this minimum english player rule onto clubs. Forcing us to play marc Albrighton isn't going to make him good enough to play for England.

Maybe not Albrighton but players like Barkley, McEachran, Rose to name 3 would have had greater exposure earlier on and would now be better footballers closer to their potential than they are. And you can't even quantify the ones who now won't make it because they didn't get the chance. It's not all down to nature. Nurture; by which I mean opportunity and experience; makes a player into what he is too. Playing with and against better players makes you a better player. Limiting the opportunity limits the player. There is untold damage being done to your national team and it's not a simple fix.

didnt they try similar rule in scotland about 5-10 year ago and hasnt helped their team

That's irrelevant because the better Scottish players gravitated towards England anyway so it wouldn't have helped them. I think you knew this. Now the better Scottish players gravitate towards the lower leagues of England owing to the very same problem we're discussing :)

Sinclair and rodwell being the latest beneficiaries of a club trying to fill an English player quota...

it wont work, it will actually make the problem of decent English talents over priced and over paid worse more than anything else

Edited by villa4europe

The root of the problem probably is that young english players are not just good enough for the fee and salary they'd take compared to the foreign imports.

The root of the problem is coaching, that is just a symptom.

Yeah, that's what I meant (albeit not saying it straightly).

Do Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy and Belgium have any quotas on foreign nationals playing in their national leagues? No. It obviously hasn't hindered their national teams, it's just a convenient excuse created by the FA who'd rather pay themselves extra than to divert money to changing the grass roots of the English game. Also what would be wrong with the English managers choosing players further down from the top few clubs, for one some of these players are overrated, and also it would give extra incentives to English players further down the leagues to work hard at their games in the knowledge that it's form that matters, nothing else.

its come to something when were excited to see players like jack wilshire, now we are getting desperate, just as bad as trying to keep beckham and fat frank going

the premier league may be one of the biggest leagues in the world, but the level of expectation of english players is low, and this seems to be accepted, youre an alcoholic heroin junky? of course you can get into the english national side

i for one hate watching england and dont actually watch them anymore, not since mclaren took over, thats how long, pathetic excuse of a national side

theres many problems with english football, and capping clubs wont solve this

i prefer watching spain

Even playing so badly today (and all season so far) I still expect Young, Cleverley, Wellbeck, Smalling and Carrick to be selected for the WC Qualifiers next month.

The England squad is a joke (but a rather unfunny one) with the same faeces getting picked every squad, regardless of form.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope England lose, fail to qualify for the world cup, and Hodgson gets sacked.

I hope England win, qualify for the World Cup and then beat Brazil in the final.at the Maracana.

Arise Sir Roy Hodgson.

Dr_P's scenario seems more likely...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

I hope England lose, fail to qualify for the world cup, and Hodgson gets sacked.

Well that would be just fantastic  :rolleyes:

I'll never understand this mentality. International football will happen whether we like it or not. Surely having your country winning is better than losing. You may not feel like the England team are representing you, but they are. They are representing us all. So hoping for them to lose is just alien to me. Plus, I love watching football at the pub (don't know if you do Dr.P?) and when England play in the world cup there's always a great atmosphere, specially if we win. If we won a World Cup (0.01% chance of happening) the whole country would be on such a high. Why you'd prefer losing over that is just mad? 

• Like 1

I thought the same with the wally in charge, not so sure anymore, not convinced they sack him, not confident that they'd hire anyone better or that anything would improve, and I know for a fact that a shit England at the WC is better than no England at the WC

Â