General England thread

kurtsimonw

I must be the only person that is delighted that Gabby is being over looked by Woy.

I honestly couldn't give a monkeys about England any more, I'd rather we are involved in the tournaments in the summers than not but ultimately I'm not all that bothered because we aren't capable of doing anything when we get there.

So I'd personally prefer it if Gabby isn't involved in England games because when the meaningless friendlies come around and the players for the top clubs are 'injured' or rested he will be one of the ones called up.

I would rather he be fit for us and resting when we aren't playing rather than filling in for people when they can't be arsed.

The impact Gabby had last season when he returned from injury showed how important he can be for us and that takes priority for me over him being England's 5th or 6th striker.

So I'm delighted Woy ignores him, I hope it continues.

• Like 2

Woy on about replacements after Welbeck's suspension...

"I suppose one would, if there were very obvious candidates,"

No call-ups for Gabby again whilst he's still manager then  :wacko: 

its up there with his comments about lambert starting because he cant find anyone better...

the mans a clown

I must be the only person that is delighted that Gabby is being over looked by Woy.

I honestly couldn't give a monkeys about England any more, I'd rather we are involved in the tournaments in the summers than not but ultimately I'm not all that bothered because we aren't capable of doing anything when we get there.

So I'd personally prefer it if Gabby isn't involved in England games because when the meaningless friendlies come around and the players for the top clubs are 'injured' or rested he will be one of the ones called up.

I would rather he be fit for us and resting when we aren't playing rather than filling in for people when they can't be arsed.

The impact Gabby had last season when he returned from injury showed how important he can be for us and that takes priority for me over him being England's 5th or 6th striker.

So I'm delighted Woy ignores him, I hope it continues.

Personally, I couldn't give two shits about England, so I agree with you. However, I like to see Villa players do well and I like seeing them represent Villa on an International stage. I feel bad for Gabby as he could have scored a Hat-Trick in every game so far and still probably not get picked. It must be horrible for him to see comments from Hodgson saying there's no obvious replacement for Welbeck as he has been awesome so far and is a very obvious replacement.

I must be in a minority but i like Hodgson and think he's doing a good job given the circumstances. I think people have to realise that its easier said than done to pick players on form and that every manager will have their ' favourites' that they like to depend on.

I preferred him to 'Arry as he's arguably the better manager judging from their careers, and he's not done a terrible job either. The problem is, England are horrendous to watch (even when winning 4-0) and Hodgson is not sticking to his own mantra of picking form players. Yes managers will always have favourites that they will pick, but when you start to bemoan that you can't play those favourites as they haven't played all season and are unfit (Defoe), then it starts to get ridiculous. If they aren't fit or haven't played, then don't pick them as they don't deserve it. Don't come out and say you will pick players on form if it's a total lie. What Hodgson meant when he said that is he'll pick players from the "top 6" and occasionally give players like Lambert a few games when he needs to fill up the squad and the media are pushing for them to play. I can almost guarantee that no Villa player will play for England under Hodgson unless the media begin to question why they aren't playing for about a year, like Lambert.

Thanks a lot international break. A totally dull weekend because England had to play a pub team on a Friday night.Bring on next week.

Next season there will be games on every day from Thursday to Tuesday.

I assume the Rev is joking as I reckon that was the worst squad England took to a major tournament before last summer....and probably next summer.

Pretty sure Dennis Wise and Paul Ince were the central midfield partnership in one game, might have been Germany. Both were in their 30s and well past it on the international stage as were Keown and Adams at the back and Seaman in goal.

Phil Neville at left back aswell suggests a problem position.

Really the peak of that squad was at world cup 98 and pretty much soon after the likes of Gerrard, Ashley Cole and Ferdinand started to be first 11 regulars and England were actually interesting to watch in the next few years which included the 5-1 in Munich and a good showing in the 2002 world cup.

Â