Nintendo Wii U

Si.

does anyone have one of these? walked past a game shop the other day and saw some good titles out was consideirng egtting one but i dont understand what it is? looks liek a gameboy you attach to the wii??

It's an entirely new console which happens to have a tablet-esque controller. It's roughly in line with the current generation consoles power wise, has backwards compatibility with the Wii and uses the Wiimote and nunchuk as well (the console can only use a single one of the tablet controllers, which has lead to a lot of asymmetrical gameplay ideas with one player on the tablet and others using wiimotes).

The controller can also, in some games run the game without the need for a TV, the screen in the controller replacing the TV. Otherwise the controller works like the touchscreen on a DS.

You'd be absolutely certifiable to buy one.

Edited by Chindie

that sounds absolutely ridiculous, very complicated for what it needs to be. such a shame as i loved super mario brothers wii, and i hear they are oding a new smash brothers u, my two top games

Don't mind Chindie, it's worth picking up. Not a huge amount of great games, but enough decent stuff to keep you going like New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD, Batman: Arkham Origins, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 (out next year), Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Yarn Yoshi, X, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros, Sonic: Lost World and Scribblenauts Unlimited

Keep an eye out for some price reductions around Chrimbo and pick one up then

Why do Nintendo lag so much beyond it's rivals power wise.  It wasn't so detrimental with the original Wii which was a novelty in itself, but the Wii U doesn't even seem like a generation jump.

Nintendo believed that they found their niche though and their new console wasn't directed towards people looking for next gen power. They pretty much just wanted to upgrade the Wii, i.e a console for casuals, Nintendo fans who'll continue to purchase the same in house titles and for party/fitness/dance games where system specs weren't relevant and eight year old technology meant cheaper costs for components and profits on selling consoles. Sort of failed though as anyone could see that the novelty of the Wii had warn out and they never had any sort of hype or momentum going into the launch, it all just felt flat and outdated. I don't necessarily think it's a dead console, I actually think it might pick up over the next year or so but i'm not too sure where they'll go after this. It's a shame because a lot of people have a soft spot for Nintendo, including myself; they have some incredibly inventive and talented people working for them.

Edited by nobler

Don't mind Chindie, it's worth picking up. Not a huge amount of great games, but enough decent stuff to keep you going like New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD, Batman: Arkham Origins, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 (out next year), Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Yarn Yoshi, X, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros, Sonic: Lost World and Scribblenauts Unlimited

Keep an eye out for some price reductions around Chrimbo and pick one up then

Don't mind P3te, he'll have you believe Nintendoland isn't a mini game collection.

Also worth noting that in that list there only 6 are actually out (and of those, 1 is actually just an expansion of one of the other titles), and it is far from certain that all of those titles will be good - even the Nintendo first party ones, which are no longer guaranteed classics.

As said, unless you managed to get one for an absolute song, and were prepared to risk being disappointed with it, you'd be completely certifiable to buy one.

Why do Nintendo lag so much beyond it's rivals power wise. It wasn't so detrimental with the original Wii which was a novelty in itself, but the Wii U doesn't even seem like a generation jump.

Nintendo don't play the power game anymore. They decided that they were better off marketing themselves at the casual market and banking on the standard love for their franchises rather than go all out for power alongside Microsoft and Sony. So instead they make profitable hardware based on established architectures they can bring in more cheaply.

Hence the Wii U isn't a generational leap - its about as powerful as a 360 but appears to be weaker than that even in some respects.

what i dont get is that the gamecube which IMO wasnt that bad a machine suffered from lack of 3rd party support and a slow release of AAA exclusives (and lets be honest not being a DVD player) on the wii the AAA title releases got eve slower, now it seems to be a drought

you have a couple of remakes, a couple of mario games that are now up to number 8/9 in the series and bayonetta 2, pikmin 3 is probably the best exclusive...

far too many nintendo franchises have stopped, wheres the new zelda (i dont mean a gimmicky HD remake) wheres metroid, f zero, even a layton game

then where are the "bloody hell im going to have to buy one now" games such as twin snakes and RE4

Appears as though Dream fall Chapters is coming to Wii U as well. So there's that. Maybe. Even though you'd obviously play it/them on PC if you're already a fan.

• 4 months later...

I've now got a Wii U and am really enjoying it so far. I love the controller and it's nice to have a change from the PS4 (although I'm sure that will eat up most of my gaming time).

You can't go wrong with some good old Mario and Zelda gaming though. Plus there are new Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and Donkey Kong games coming in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Nintendo has slashed the number of Wii U and 3DS consoles it expects to sell by the end of the financial year, which has had a knock-on effect on its financial projections.

In an earnings release, president Satoru Iwata explained that the company now expects to sell 2.8 million Wii U consoles by the end of March, down from original estimates of 9 million, while 3DS projections have also been revised downwards from 18 million console sales to 13.5 million.

IGN

Inevitable that the Wii U has flopped. I don't really know what nintendo were thinking to be honest, it never really stood a chance.

Bring back Sega  Shenmue

fixed

dreamcast was a great console, certainly better than nintendo's last few efforts IMO, shame it didnt succeed, the games weren't that bad either 

id guess the difference between sega and nintendo is that the dreamcast was sega's 2nd or probably even 3rd flop on the trot, id guess nintendo cant be in that  bad a financial position after the DS and the Wii

• 6 months later...

Its sublime. I got one a couple of months ago on the cheap and its surprised me at just how good the console is. The gamepad is very good to use, it shouldn't be but it is.

Great console.

Â