Nintendo Wii U

Si.

So I'm able to move everything from the HD to USB stick with no problems, thought I'd free up some space by moving everything to the USB and then download DK to my console. Turns out I have 3500mb free and I need 3700mb to download it :lol: I'm never going to download this am I?

It's weird that I can move stuff to and from the USB, but as soon as I try to download something from the e-shop, the console crashes straight away. Nintendo need to move to the 21st century.

until this thread i never even realised there were issues with certain brands - i wonder how many christmases ive ruined over the past few years

Most flash storage is cheap shit that just about limps along because of lots of error correction and operating systems doing a decent job of helping out. You tend to get what you pay for and the big brands are generally OK because they have a name to uphold. (apart from Kingston, they just rebrand any old crap).

Flash storage needs some form of wear levelling otherwise it wears out very quickly if used in a way that is anything other than just external storage of photos etc. The type of random access that things like storing games requires will use up the write cycle pretty quickly. Anything that needs to access data in this way is either a spinning disk (PS3, PS4, XB etc), or has a special filesystem / IO code that ensures it wear levels (+ uses high-quality flash). e.g. SSD drives.

When using flash storage with a console such as a Wii U, you are asking a non wear-levelled, limited write cycle storage device to work like a spinning disk. It will fail quicker than other options, but you can at least hold that off for a while longer by using good quality stuff.

Sandisk are pretty good. Generally anything with Samsung chips is fine.

So I got the SanDisk one and everything worked fine. DK downloaded and played well. Metroid trilogy downloaded and started with no problems.

But once I click start single player on Metroid, it turns off my Remote instantly and the console freezes on the loading screen. This is so frustrating :angry:

I click start game, then my controller turns off and the red light on the USB turns off. The console is still running but the only way I can turn it off is by taking the plug out of the socket.

Everything else works fine.. :(

That's kind of a last resort, but I've just re-downloaded the game and it still does the same thing. I think it's the USB stick TBH, the light goes off as soon as I press start game but the console is still running. 

Is there not a cable I can buy so the console is not powering the USB?

That's kind of a last resort, but I've just re-downloaded the game and it still does the same thing. I think it's the USB stick TBH, the light goes off as soon as I press start game but the console is still running. 

Is there not a cable I can buy so the console is not powering the USB?

It's a USB stick, they take minimal amounts of power.

If you're using a spinning disk, you can get a Y cable that uses 2 USB sockets (about 500mA each) to power it, or just use a recommended external HDD with its own power supply such as this: http://www.tesco.com/direct/western-digital-1tb-book-essential-usb-30-external-hard-drive/210-9255.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=210-9255&ui=mercury&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Technology%20%26%20Gaming%20Accessories_210-9255kpid=210-9255&sc_cmp=tp1_ppc_g__&sc_cmp=tp1_ppc_g__&kpid=210-9255&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0aemBRC8p87zv_mc5qYBEiQAiEEMQafLydvXcGa5v6dy2YUAoPNDrDrl-1qZBqgR8Z9rUckaAt7G8P8HAQ

Personally I'm using an old 2.5" laptop hard drive I had lying about with a USB caddy I already had. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Enclosure-Tool-free-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00DW374W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422558660&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+caddyis a decent choice. If you know anyone who fiddles with computers they're likely to have an old laptop hard drive lying about you can snaffle. 160GB+ should be fine.

• 5 months later...
Â