Media and punditry

BOF

Stanley Victor Collymore will be doing to MotD2 work next season.  I know he is a dickhead, but still, it will be nice to have a pro Villa voice on the box for a change. 

• Like 4

With FOX having bought the rights to World Cup 2018 and 2022, and positioned an announcer with no understanding of the sport to be their number one man, the future is incredibly bleak in the US. 

As usual, FOX are completely tone deaf to what fans want. 

The Telegraph, Times, Guardian and Independent are all quality newspapers and not like the above.

Guardian lost a lot of credibility with their blockbuster announcement countdown a few seasons ago and all it was that Inter MIlan might bid for Bale in summer

• 2 weeks later...

Twelve years ago, the lead commentator for the World Cup on ESPN (technically, MLS (well, Phil Anschutz, really) bought the broadcast rights to the World Cup and then paid ESPN a few million dollars to get ESPN to broadcast it!) was Jack Edwards, whose main gig was presenting SportsCenter and working NHL and Little League World Series games and is now most known for being the voice of the Bruins.

The Telegraph, Times, Guardian and Independent are all quality newspapers and not like the above.

Guardian lost a lot of credibility with their blockbuster announcement countdown a few seasons ago and all it was that Inter MIlan might bid for Bale in summer

That wasn't The Guardian was it?

Fair enough, I remember it being the Daily Mail (understandably)

THat was hilarious though. "Big club interested in good player"

What a story

That's odd, I thought it was the independent.

They announced it on twitter iirc. Something like hold on to your hats, major major story breaking...

The story was obviously something like demba ba transfer or something Chelsea related that was surprising, only clearly they got cold feet over publishing it. So they changed it to real Madrid are interested in Gareth bale. Journo fail!

Jonathan Pearce had a bad day at the office today, didn't he?

Oh it was shocking, I was screaming at my TV, he was still going on about it 10 mins later.

I'm already looking forward to the Football Ramble after that game.

Seriously though, it was a prime example of a commentator not watching what he should be watching. He made a mass confusion out of nothing.

And he seemed to be desperate to make controversy out of everything after that, maybe to distract from his obvious balls up.

Lets not forget the goal that never was from Mr Pearce, there were other similar gaffs as well.

I actually wondered if he was drunk at one point it was that ban.

I don't think in all the years I've been watching the game I've ever seen a commentator get it so horrifically wrong, I mean he just didn't get it and despite Keown's best efforts wouldn't shut up.

It was bonkers stuff.

Lets not forget the goal that never was from Mr Pearce, there were other similar gaffs as well.

I actually wondered if he was drunk at one point it was that ban.

I don't think in all the years I've been watching the game I've ever seen a commentator get it so horrifically wrong, I mean he just didn't get it and despite Keown's best efforts wouldn't shut up.

It was bonkers stuff.

Like I said, I felt like he was desperately trying to find something controversial after he realised he may have been talking nonsense to maybe distract from his issue :D

It was both hilarious and frustrating though!

Â