Media and punditry

BOF

Durham on talkshite just now saying the stones line clearance was clearly in, that in games like this the ref should give the goal as it was a millimetre from going in, and that goal line technology is worthless if it all does is show cartoon of the ball a millimetre away from being a goal. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Durham on talkshite just now saying the stones line clearance was clearly in, that in games like this the ref should give the goal as it was a millimetre from going in, and that goal line technology is worthless if it all does is show cartoon of the ball a millimetre away from being a goal. 

I mean, it's so **** stupid it makes me want to tear my eyes out.

But you just know, as rodders is suggesting, that thousands of people will phone in to tell him how stupid he's being.

I guarantee that's not his actual opinion. It just gets people calling.

It's a shame there isn't more decent stuff on Talkshite, but obviously as with other sports punditry, it's not necessarily intelligent discussion that will gather the most listeners and therefore make the most money.

I do quite like Hawksbee and Jacobs, but whenever I switch it on other than that (which is very rarely these days, so I could be mistaken!) it's just awful.

6 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Semi-interestingly, it did look in on the normal replay. I didn't see the normal touchline camera that they often show. Those goal-line tech replays can be incorrect if the calibration is even a few millimetres out. Maybe it was shown later on and I missed it.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Semi-interestingly, it did look in on the normal replay. I didn't see the normal touchline camera that they often show. Those goal-line tech replays can be incorrect if the calibration is even a few millimetres out. Maybe it was shown later on and I missed it.

It did look in on the normal replay which is exactly why we need the technology. From the touchline cam and the goal line tech replay it clearly wasn't in. It was marginal but it wasn't in.

Also semi-interestingly we were saved by a very similar decision back when we were in the prem. This was (correctly) judged to have not gone in

glt.gif?w=579&zoom=2

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know I've bought this up before but I will never be able to watch this and not howl with laughter at Jonathan Pearce's idiocy.

Martin Keown the voice of reason

• Like 2

can remember it, lowton off the line

what happened to holtby?

the interesting thing with talksport is what their revenue model is, whether its the listening numbers and the advertising or if its the muppets who phone in because they dont exactly jam it with callers so im leaning towards the former which makes it all the more frustrating that they could in theory put together a really good informative show that draws in listeners, i think there are 2 problems - 1) keeping people interested for 3 hours a day 5 days a week talking about sensible stuff (especially if its a slow news day) is far harder than talking shit and 2) I think drive in particular is actually trying to appeal to the shit day at work lets get that anger out before you get home shout at the radio crowd, they're not listening for insightful content they're after something different, same reason why people read the sun, its not for news or to be informed

thats why the H&J comparison is a good one, their show is seemingly for a completely different crowd to the rest of talksport, the topics, the off piste stuff, the quality of the guests, everything, its seems to be for a more well informed almost older more mature audience, they dont make money from callers

paul ince ladies and gentlemen

Let’s be honest, it couldn’t get any worse at Manchester United before Jose Mourinho left. There was a dark cloud over the entire club, the players, the fans and the staff. It was impacting performances on the pitch. Ole’s come in, a friendly face at the club with a calming influence and it seems as though the players have upped their effort as a result. The shackles are off, but that doesn’t mean that Ole is the right man for the job. I could have gone in and done the same thing, so could Steve Bruce. Anyone could have gone in and done what he has done, it wasn’t a hard thing to do to give those players freedom and improve the mood.The club shouldn’t be making rash decisions, picking a manager just because he’s had six wins on the bounce, all of which came against below-average sides bar one, if he gets the club into the top four, and into the final of the Champions League, then that would be the time when the board should be swayed. So, for the next few years what the club need to do is bring in a manager that can seriously get United competing with City and Liverpool and of the options available, Pochettino is the man to do that. I believe he should be Man United’s number one choice for the job and they should do whatever they can to get him.

• Haha 1

Might be a bit harsh but it's about time all these old "jobs for the boys" pundits either sailed off into the sunset to retire or died.

The worst thing about constant media coverage, and all the modern platforms is the overabundance of time and space they have to fill with these words removed.

• Like 1

its going to be a problem in the future of football, the reality is ince played before things got really daft, he probably needs to stay in the limelight in some way or another to keep his profile up to keep some sort of income, its been 24 years since he played for Utd, i would guess that he cut his ties with the club since, utd's corporate arm and global marketing team will have a long list of legends or ambassadors or whatever they call them who arent allowed to do soundbites for the media, they then also have several players who are already employed by other media outlets so probably cant give soundbites either, they will also have 10-15 years worth of players who earned huge sums of money from the club and dont need the cash and are happy in obscurity 

its the early to mid 90s ex players who will linger like a bad smell spouting off shit to whoever who throw them a bone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

its going to be a problem in the future of football, the reality is ince played before things got really daft, he probably needs to stay in the limelight in some way or another to keep his profile up to keep some sort of income, its been 24 years since he played for Utd, i would guess that he cut his ties with the club since, utd's corporate arm and global marketing team will have a long list of legends or ambassadors or whatever they call them who arent allowed to do soundbites for the media, they then also have several players who are already employed by other media outlets so probably cant give soundbites either, they will also have 10-15 years worth of players who earned huge sums of money from the club and dont need the cash and are happy in obscurity 

its the early to mid 90s ex players who will linger like a bad smell spouting off shit to whoever who throw them a bone

If MON succeeds at Forest it'll give them all at least 4 more years of cliches they'll trot out with no basis.

Danny Murphy just STFU, you knob, it was the right decission you muppet and it only took a min or 2, it took longer for the player sub after that injury you cockwobble, players milk the clock motre than VAR takes to come to the correct outcome....

Edited by MickeyC_UTV
fat finger typo
  • Like 2

Â