Media and punditry

BOF

I hear the criticism about Spitty Carra and Red Nev but surely to god they're still much better options than most of the others.

I put the Real Madrid game on earlier and Steve McManaman was on, Clinton Morrison on Blues game on the weekend, Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves, Don Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe. I'm quite happy with JC and GN still at the minute until someone better comes through the ranks. 

I forget the name of the fella who works in Germany (I think) and runs a podcast (I think) - James someone? (I think?) - He's always been good value for proper punditry.

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I hear the criticism about Spitty Carra and Red Nev but surely to god they're still much better options than most of the others.

I put the Real Madrid game on earlier and Steve McManaman was on, Clinton Morrison on Blues game on the weekend, Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves, Don Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe. I'm quite happy with JC and GN still at the minute until someone better comes through the ranks. 

I forget the name of the fella who works in Germany (I think) and runs a podcast (I think) - James someone? (I think?) - He's always been good value for proper punditry.

James Horncastle? Expert in Italian & European football.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

James Horncastle? Expert in Italian & European football.

That's the one! 

Amazing how little coverage tonight's game is getting in any main media outlets - its as if it isn't happening 

Just bizarre!

29 minutes ago, alex7783 said:

Amazing how little coverage tonight's game is getting in any main media outlets - its as if it isn't happening 

Just bizarre!

It's the third rung of European football. Did you care about the conference last year? Cause I **** didn't.

Once again. It's not an anti Villa conspiracy.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

It's the third rung of European football. Did you care about the conference last year? Cause I **** didn't.

What are you talking about? I'm sure all villa fans followed West Hams Conference run religiously last season. 😜

25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No, but I distinctly remember reading and hearing a lot about West Ham’s run to the final but the same outlets are silent about Villas potential run to final - why media coverage for one and not the other?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

West Ham run was well reported and they werent last English club left in Europe

• Thanks 1

BBC running an article of teams going to US this summer. Not mentioned we are going but Palace, Wolves and Bournemouth confirmed

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

BBC running an article of teams going to US this summer. Not mentioned we are going but Palace, Wolves and Bournemouth confirmed

It’s getting seriously weird and happening too often for there not to be a collective reason - not enough villa fans in senior positions in the football media maybe?

I suspect there is plenty of ‘big six’ fan representation in content decision making roles - perhaps there is genuine fear that we could break the status quo and there is unconscious (or even conscious) bias to protect their clubs position in the current hierarchy?

1 minute ago, alex7783 said:

It’s getting seriously weird and happening too often for there not to be a collective reason - not enough villa fans in senior positions in the football media maybe?

I suspect there is plenty of ‘big six’ fan representation in content decision making roles - perhaps there is genuine fear that we could break the status quo and there is unconscious (or even conscious) bias to protect their clubs position in the current hierarchy?

There's your answer... 

The big 6 have a bigger market share, hence why they are big, they play to their crowd

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The story directly above our UECL game (20th story down on BBC football), and obviously more important, is about an on loan player at Manyoo ladies. But no bias against us at all.

Just now, villa4europe said:

There's your answer... 

The big 6 have a bigger market share, hence why they are big, they play to their crowd

I was referring to big six content decision makers not overall quantum of fans - completely get why Big six have more coverage than us due to audience but it’s weird that West Ham’s conf league exploits got more media coverage, despite competing with other English teams still in EL and UCL, and Palace Bournemouth and Wolves US tours promoted but ours ignored…

Listening to Lucy Ward on our game tonight, she never shuts up non stop all game, talking absolute rubbish, she’s the same on the 12:30 TnT games

• Like 1

Official Premier League page posted a tweet praising Lyle Foster from Burnley for opening up about his mental health struggles

Only issue is they got the name completely wrong and praised Lyle Taylor 

• Haha 2

Tuesday 10.00pm. Waiting for Gary Neville to turn up on Sky Sports News to claim that Manchester United deserved 4th place much more than Aston Villa...  10.08... Gary's connection from Jim Ratcliffe's paradise holiday island must be down...

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

Tuesday 10.00pm. Waiting for Gary Neville to turn up on Sky Sports News to claim that Manchester United deserved 4th place much more than Aston Villa...  10.08... Gary's connection from Jim Ratcliffe's paradise holiday island must be down...

Weird flex.

Neville has been on commentary tonight saying Villa fully deserve 4th place and what an achievement it is for us.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Weird flex.

Neville has been on commentary tonight saying Villa fully deserve 4th place and what an achievement it is for us.

Just goes to show how very slippery he really is.

• Like 1

Defo had a gagging order on the media. Not mentioned the Man City charges on any channels lately, never mind tonight after they are about to secure a 4th title.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Defo had a gagging order on the media. Not mentioned the Man City charges on any channels lately, never mind tonight after they are about to secure a 4th title.

I don't know about that. The media companies pay a shitload of cash to broadcast the Premier League. It's in their best interests not to tarnish it with talk of cheating. They want you to believe it's the best league in the world. They are quite happy to stick their head in the sand until they have to talk about it (punishment being handed out).

• Like 2

Â