Media and punditry

BOF

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's (obviously) harder to win the league than to finish in the top 4. 

I'm not disputing that it's harder to win the league - although I'd argue it has more to do with 'elite' levels of investment than a winning mentality these days - but the original post stated Danny Murphy said we wouldn't win the title OR finish top four based on the fact we'd not been in this position before. And Newcastle did just that, which Mr Murphy says is not possible, only last season.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's not remotely the same situation. In 15/16... At 21 gameweeks, Leicester were joint top, not two points off it. In the end the clubs that got closest to Leicester were Arsenal and Spurs, two other sides with no experience of winning a league. 

I'd say these points actually show that Murphy is talking nonsense and having that experience is crucial to winning a league. 

I'd argue the reason City have won it so much recently isn't because they have that experience, but more that they have better resources and larger/fuller squads. They're better placed for the tail end of the season as they'll have fresher players who are less burnt out due to better rotation.

You only need to look how we used to explode under MON at the end of each season to see how much this can affect teams.

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'm not disputing that it's harder to win the league - although I'd argue it has more to do with 'elite' levels of investment than a winning mentality these days - but the original post stated Danny Murphy said we wouldn't win the title OR finish top four based on the fact we'd not been in this position before. And Newcastle did just that, which Mr Murphy says is not possible, only last season.

Okay, fair enough, I hadn't seen the bit about top 4, and I think you're right that he's on weaker ground with that. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd say these points actually show that Murphy is talking nonsense and having that experience is crucial to winning a league. 

I'd argue the reason City have won it so much recently isn't because they have that experience, but more that they have better resources and larger/fuller squads. They're better placed for the tail end of the season as they'll have fresher players who are less burnt out due to better rotation.

You only need to look how we used to explode under MON at the end of each season to see how much this can affect teams.

It doesn't need to be either/or. Things can have multiple causes; no reason mentality and experience cannot be another factor alongside squad size or player quality. 

Eni Aluko as good as gone into hiding out the country, citing she may press charges against Barton, as she now don't feel safe in the UK. Apart from no one else really giving a f*** what Joey Barton says. She does know social media is all around the world, not just in the UK yeah?? 😆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Lucy Ward compared to Ally McCoist as ITV FA Cup pundits:

Albert_Einstein_Head.jpg.0bf729ae8fa5762599ccbd46cb4b051e.jpgdownload.jpeg.4ec0b5d1357828768ac53a62f5eebc55.jpeg

To be fair, McCoist is one of the better pundits, apart from his love affair with every player whos half decent.

If you can listen to Lucy Ward commentate on a football match, screaming everytime someone has a shot on goal, or scores, your a braver guy than I am. An that's no disrespect to women commentators, it's disrespect to her.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair, McCoist is one of the better pundits, apart from his love affair with every player whos half decent.

If you can listen to Lucy Ward commentate on a football match, screaming everytime someone has a shot on goal, or scores, your a braver guy than I am. An that's no disrespect to women commentators, it's disrespect to her.

We must have different TV audio feeds. McCoist only repeats what he has just seen or heard. Ward analyses tactics & provides insights 

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Eni Aluko as good as gone into hiding out the country, citing she may press charges against Barton, as she now don't feel safe in the UK. Apart from no one else really giving a f*** what Joey Barton says. She does know social media is all around the world, not just in the UK yeah?? 😆

she really is one of, if not the worst 'pundit' ever to grace the tv screens.

She doesn't need Joey Barton telling her she's rubbish, all of social media does that and with the comments and faux pas she comes out with she brings it on her self. 

She's the square root of useless.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

she really is one of, if not the worst 'pundit' ever to grace the tv screens.

She doesn't need Joey Barton telling her she's rubbish, all of social media does that and with the comments and faux pas she comes out with she brings it on her self. 

She's the square root of useless.

As harsh as it sounds, she has definately been brought in to tick the box, unless it's for sympathy, as she lost alot of close friends/players when she decided to sue the FA and Mark Sampson.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

As harsh as it sounds, she has definately been brought in to tick the box, unless it's for sympathy, as she lost alot of close friends/players when she decided to sue the FA and Mark Sampson.

yet the FA paid out compensation and apologised to how she was treated. a final investigation also indicates that she was right

probably not the type of friends you want in life

Just watched this, absolutely brilliant from nedum onuoha talking about punditry and how football is viewed 

Even calls joey Barton out for what he is as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

An unsurprising but disgraceful showing again from the media with Toney return

Absolutely and in the same week, they’ve all fawned over Henderson leaving Saudi with his tail between his legs and joining Ajax.

The media have their favourites and seem hellbent on pushing their rhetoric onto the masses. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Giro said:

Just watched this, absolutely brilliant from nedum onuoha talking about punditry and how football is viewed 

Even calls joey Barton out for what he is as well 

Onuoha's so far out in front of every other pundit it's embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He's only the media favourite because he's a good footballer. If he was an average striker nobody would care. 

Kevin De Bruyne is a better footballer and didnt get any news for his comeback especially considering Toney is a complete piece of shit and was banned for gambling against his team among others

Â