Media and punditry

BOF

I just want the mainstream media to call out Southgate for what he is - an overhyped, lucky manager who doesn’t know how to utilise the assets available and doesn’t know how (or want) to integrate new players into the squad due to his stubborn attitude to pick his preferred players regardless of being out of position and/or form. 

They won’t do it as they’re in a comfy position and happy to toe the party line spoon fed to them by the FA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I just want the mainstream media to call out Southgate for what he is - an overhyped, lucky manager who doesn’t know how to utilise the assets available and doesn’t know how (or want) to integrate new players into the squad due to his stubborn attitude to pick his preferred players regardless of being out of position and/or form. 

They won’t do it as they’re in a comfy position and happy to toe the party line spoon fed to them by the FA. 

They also don't want to be seen as the villains. For years the English media has tore into various England players and managers. Southgate has turned that relationship around and now the media are stuck between telling the truth and maintaining the status quo where everyone is friends. 

• Like 1

I find it weird that so many people on this forum seem to *want* an antagonistic relationship between the England manager and the press. I guess it makes sense if you're not English or are but don't want the team to do well, but in reality we tried having two camps that hated each other for years and it was unsurprisingly a disaster. Improving that is a genuine achievement of Southgate's. 

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I find it weird that so many people on this forum seem to *want* an antagonistic relationship between the England manager and the press. I guess it makes sense if you're not English or are but don't want the team to do well, but in reality we tried having two camps that hated each other for years and it was unsurprisingly a disaster. Improving that is a genuine achievement of Southgate's. 

I don't think people want an antagonistic relationship but probably want fair and balanced criticism which Southgate doesn't get(its not just him can add a few other media pets into that too)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don't think people want an antagonistic relationship but probably want fair and balanced criticism which Southgate doesn't get(its not just him can add a few other media pets into that too)

I mean one person's 'fair and balanced criticism' might not be the same as everyone else's, but really what are we imagining this is going to look like? I've seen lots of critical comment in media outlets about England's performances in the last two games. Much of the actual antagonism in the relationship in the past involved intrusions into people's private lives, stings on the managers, cruel comments ('turnip', 'wally with a brolly' etc), not 'fair and balanced criticism'. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just as a side note, Communist China works in the same way, govt vs their "press", while the general feeling is good within the country, but trouble deep down is being ignored.

5 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Just as a side note, Communist China works in the same way, govt vs their "press", while the general feeling is good within the country, but trouble deep down is being ignored.

I would gently suggest that we perhaps have a way to go before our press is that supine. 

Some spunktrumpet on Radio 5 right now:

”Arsenal can be serious challengers , they just need a 25 goals per season striker and Douglas Luiz from Aston Villa”.

Just **** off and die.

• Like 2

The Athletic Football Podcast previewed our game with Spurs and surprisingly talked mostly about us. Apparently we were 'lucky' to have signed players like Diaby & Torres when they were wanted by other, bigger clubs. Why is there still this sense in the media that we've fluked our way into becoming a good team and that it is just a momentary blip? I'm desperate to take a couple of major scalps to have the journalists really scratching their heads!

• Like 2

On 21/11/2023 at 11:57, HanoiVillan said:

If everyone wants to credit Southgate 100% for this team having a laugh and joke playing a game of darts, then more fool you. Times have changed, there is no real hatred between teams now, everyone hugging one another after a Manchester derby, Everton and Liverpool were the same, there's not the rivalry there used to be, so it ain't hard for a bunch of 20 something milloiniares to have a bit of fun on a international break.

They also seem to pick and choose where they turn up, looking at the last 2 games, Southgate wanted perfomances, the team colldn't be arsed, or it that just how Southgate coaches??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

SSN poor today, female presnter, everything subdued, no banter, questions asked questions answered. Nothing wrong with the presenter, just how Sky thought it would work with 4 men and Sue Smith is beyond me.

It's happening everywhere, banter in the workplace as a whole is taboo now as you may offend someone... so Sky are probably just following the lead of most companies now. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I guess it all has to be because it's a women presenter yeah? Just to keep to the narrative on VT.

I think it's more because you could say the same about the majority of the male presenters, yet you've singled out the female. I do agree Sue Smith is rubbish, yet Clinton Morrison and Paul Merson are just as bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I think it's more because you could say the same about the majority of the male presenters, yet you've singled out the female. I do agree Sue Smith is rubbish, yet Clinton Morrison and Paul Merson are just as bad.

I've slagged many male presenters previous, it's just the narrative for women on here, it's getting ridiculous. 

Sue Smith actually knows her stuff.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I've slagged many male presenters previous, it's just the narrative for women on here, it's getting ridiculous. 

Why is she the one you're singling out then :D

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Fair enough, I don't know your post history, and I doubt everyone else does, which may explain the reaction.

Not a dig at you now, but I find many people don't often quantify their opinions, leading people to assume there may be a negative connotation. That may be at play too.

Edited by Jonesy7211
Their there

Â