Media and punditry

BOF

16 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Tony Gale is a bad pundit who is totally biased, yet continues to get work.

His co-commentator today also seemed to be a Wet Spam fan. Terrible punditry.

He is part of that group of non descript 90s footballers who somehow seem to have sneaked into media roles for absolutely no reason aside from being from London.

See Tony Cottee, Clive Allen et al. 

Not only do they offer no insight, they can barely string a coherent sentence together. 

16 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Tony Gale is a bad pundit who is totally biased, yet continues to get work.

His co-commentator today also seemed to be a Wet Spam fan. Terrible punditry.

I don't mind have biased commentary as long as it's involved for both clubs.  Neville and Carragher covering Man Utd vs Liverpool - fine, you know it's there and you know both clubs have "their guy".

But against us, having Gale commentating was awful.

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't mind have biased commentary as long as it's involved for both clubs.  Neville and Carragher covering Man Utd vs Liverpool - fine, you know it's there and you know both clubs have "their guy".

Gale is awful, as is Gary Birtles.  Jim Beglin isn't much better.  But quite honestly, the worst anti-Villa commentary I've heard in the past year or so was from our former captain Andy Townsend.  It's like he was going out of his way to prove he hates the club.  

19 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Gale is awful, as is Gary Birtles.  Jim Beglin isn't much better.  But quite honestly, the worst anti-Villa commentary I've heard in the past year or so was from our former captain Andy Townsend.  It's like he was going out of his way to prove he hates the club.  

Beglin is the worst. He doesn't offer any interesting insights. He just describes the images we see in the replay using the most basic language available. Pointless commentator.

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hadn't heard him for a while,but within 5 minutes remembered what a plank he is.Used to co-commentate on us quite a bit.A former defender saying Benrahma should be doing better with his volley in the first half for example.🙄

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I always found Birtles quite positive towards us on commentary in the past.I thought it was a pro midlands thing.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I genuinely had never heard of Tony Gale before Sunday.

lol I thought it was Stuart Pierce . He had the knife in for Martinez didn’t he comments here and there about being full of himself. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I genuinely had never heard of Tony Gale before Sunday.

He's been round for donkey's, he used to be on Sky loads.  I wonder whether other fans think the same thing when we have Lee Hendrie commentating on our games.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's been round for donkey's, he used to be on Sky loads.  I wonder whether other fans think the same thing when we have Lee Hendrie commentating on our games.

It’s a few things, main one being I don’t have Sky (or ever have had it). 

Age is going to come into play too. When Hendrie was breaking through, Gale appears to be have been seeing out his career at Maidenhead. I’m just not going to know him from his playing career.

But yeah, Hendrie may well produce a similar indifferent reaction in opposition supporters. Although it’s probably more like the one that happens when Noel Whelan gives his opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tony Gale does somehow have a Premier League winners medal

Which is why I’m not really having a dig in a “…and who the **** are you?” way (which was my initial reaction, until I noted that he had 15 appearances for Blackburn in the title winning year).

But I simply didn’t know him, but then I’m only going to allow myself a certain allocation of memory cells for former premier league winners from the mid 90’s. If I bang my head and subsequently forget Jason Wilcox, maybe there will be a place for Gale.

made me laugh in the match thread how many people thought it was another londoner commentating on the game like Townsend or Hoddle or pierce and they were cursing them instead 🤣 Tony Gayle is a proper hammer though as i have heard him commentate on many games on usa network when hammers are playing and he is usually quite partial. He took it to another level in this match though

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

made me laugh in the match thread how many people thought it was another londoner commentating on the game like Townsend or Hoddle or pierce and they were cursing them instead 🤣 Tony Gayle is a proper hammer though as i have heard him commentate on many games on usa network when hammers are playing and he is usually quite partial. He took it to another level in this match though

It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Gayle and Hendrie get used to keep costs down in terms of petrol expenses!  They're mainly used for the international feed so they probably think the casual fan wouldn't be all that bothered.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

I always found Birtles quite positive towards us on commentary in the past.I thought it was a pro midlands thing.

I agree, he's not blatantly biased like some, but his base knowledge of the game is horrendous and he gets overtly emotional over simple things.

• Like 1

Â