Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Woodytom I swear your a undercover bluenose on the forums ;)

Nope. Just don't rate Westwood as much as other people. And so far, not one single person has offered any concrete evidence that I am incorrect and that he is indeed the 'class act' and 'quality player' people are saying he is.

Although I know your not serious with the bluenose claim - just because I am realistic (though people might see it as negative) about the skill level of our players it doesnt mean Im not a Villa fan. Its actually handy in situations like the current one. While it is by no means comfortable, it is much easier to accept our current predicament when   your NOT claiming our players are at a level they are clearly not at.

Honestly speaking Westwood doesn't do a lot.

A solid championship player I feel at present. Whether he can develop into a solid premier league player I'm not so sure but will not be writing him off.

Nope. Just don't rate Westwood as much as other people. And so far, not one single person has offered any concrete evidence that I am incorrect and that he is indeed the 'class act' and 'quality player' people are saying he is.

Given that it's all opinions, you're not going to get "concrete evidence" any more than you can offer any, proving your view.

Personally I don't share your opinion of him. I think he's a handy player - my perception is that he has the knack of playing simply and tidily - finding team mates with his passes, looking to have a bit of time on the ball, and generally looking at home in the Premiership.

He (like most of the players) is far from the finished article, but he has a great attitude, works hard and has talent. His touch is good and he's a good little player who can only get better.

He has to get used, still to the pace, sometimes, being a bit cannier at times in possession - he's had the ball stolen off him a bit too often, but overall I see a lot more good than bad, and a good future for him, hopefully at the Villa.

Thats a fair post Blandy

Im not so sure that concrete evidence is not available, however maybe the term 'concrete evidence' isnt quite the correct term. What I mean is there is clear evidence (in addition to opinion) that Benteke, Weimann and Guzan are performing better than other players. I appreciate that it is maybe easier to pin that evidence to strikers, defenders and GK's as oppose to midfielders who tend to offer a combination of all positions. 

As to your opinion of Westwood, I cant really argue too much against it. Its balanced and fair. There are some things I agree with such as him being tidy and who keeps it simple and then other things I don't agree with like 'looking at home in the prem'. I think most of the time he joins the majority of our team in looking a bit out of his depth.

I share the optimism that hopes he will have a great future at Villa FWIW.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

Given that it's all opinions, you're not going to get "concrete evidence" any more than you can offer any, proving your view.

Personally I don't share your opinion of him. I think he's a handy player - my perception is that he has the knack of playing simply and tidily - finding team mates with his passes, looking to have a bit of time on the ball, and generally looking at home in the Premiership.

He (like most of the players) is far from the finished article, but he has a great attitude, works hard and has talent. His touch is good and he's a good little player who can only get better.

He has to get used, still to the pace, sometimes, being a bit cannier at times in possession - he's had the ball stolen off him a bit too often, but overall I see a lot more good than bad, and a good future for him, hopefully at the Villa.

"good Little player"   Little being the operative word.

Not enough presence for me, but there again none of ours have.

Still a long way to go with him, so who knows.

Perhaps the likes of "Giles & Bremner" was exceptions.

Edited by TRO

A player in Westwood's position will be touted as a great player by keeping it simple and disciplined. Plenty of DM's have been terrible because they have absolutely no discipline and lose patience with the tidy, simple game.

It's what makes Carrick the best DM in the PL at the moment and who would have thought that 10 years ago? Give him time, he'll be great.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

A player in Westwood's position will be touted as a great player by keeping it simple and disciplined. Plenty of DM's have been terrible because they have absolutely no discipline and lose patience with the tidy, simple game.

It's what makes Carrick the best DM in the PL at the moment and who would have thought that 10 years ago? Give him time, he'll be great.

If Westwood is a Dm never-mind one that was going to be 'great' as you put it, why has the entire fan base spent the entire season whining about the lack of DM.

After all, if he is to be great - hes surely got to be at least half decent now hasnt he? If he is half decent - why the need for a DM in Jan?

If Westwood is a Dm never-mind one that was going to be 'great' as you put it, why has the entire fan base spent the entire season whining about the lack of DM.

After all, if he is to be great - hes surely got to be at least half decent now hasnt he? If he is half decent - why the need for a DM in Jan?

Don't know why you feel you have to ask this question when you already know the answer. Yes Westwood is sort of a defensive mdfielder, but he is a passer and not a tackler. We need a grifter who plays the ball short and just shows a lot of aggression in the middle, tacking and harrassing the opposition. Westwood is clearly not that player, and thus the need for a tackler is obvious. Those two players can play alongside each other, although the attacking bit is overlooked and you need a more attacking midfielder as well. Man Utd are the example of how this works, because they never play an out and out attacking midfielder in the middle. They utilize their wingers as make-shift cental midfielders when they attack, when players like Kagawa operate in the middle. They can do this because they have sublime players in every position, but it is ever so hard when we only have limited players in our team. We never create pressure and established passing outside their box with our midfielders, they aren't really good enough to do it and our wingers are always tired from running down to help in the defensive appartment.

As for Westwood, I think the appreciation for him has been over the top. He has been pretty average, and by that I mean average for a bottom five team in the Premier League. Not one of our best, not one of our worst. Would he get into any other Premier League-team at present? I highly doubt that, I don't think a single manager would say yes to swapping him with any of the players currently playing for any team. Could be a good player in the future, but that is the problem, he needs to learn from better players to develop and now he is a sure card whenever we play. Put 11 highly regarded talents in a team and they will lose a lot of games and they will not develop as much as they could. Put the talents together with a more experienced group and let them play once in a while, and they will learn and develop into much better players. Welbeck learned how to play through playing with Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere played under Cesc Fabregas and slotted in nicely when he left for Barcelona, Oscar gets his tips from Frank Lampard and so on. I know we cannot afford this luxury, but I am not happy with giving these youngsters the chance to play every week even though they sucked the last game. The slump we had when we let in 456 games in three games was a direct result of this, the youngsters were hiding their face and just looking miserable without any form of leadership around them.

• Like 1

I think Papillon's post is pretty much spot on - ever the optimist though I think that Westwood could, given time, prove to be an important player for us. Unfortunately, during the course of this season, with the lack of quality/performances throughout the team, we've not been able to give him the benefit of time.

Westwood is a tidy player. Likes to keep the ball moving. Similar to Joe Allen. By no means the finished article and can be very sloppy but potential is there but that potential will only turn into progression once we have players around him who can keep the ball for longer periods in games.

I think he's the most exciting prospect at the club (that's currently in and around the first team)

I don't have any concrete evidence though so not sure if I'm allowed to say that?

Of course your allowed to say it. I have already explained that the term 'concrete evidence' was probably the wrong thing to say - but don't let that get in your way.

If thats your opinion, fair enough, I have no problem with that. But whilst there is very little evidence to support your opinion it remains very very weak, which is why I find it a bit ironic that some people ridicule others for having the opposite opinion.

Edited by Woodytom

Don't know why you feel you have to ask this question when you already know the answer. Yes Westwood is sort of a defensive mdfielder, but he is a passer and not a tackler. We need a grifter who plays the ball short and just shows a lot of aggression in the middle, tacking and harrassing the opposition. Westwood is clearly not that player, and thus the need for a tackler is obvious. Those two players can play alongside each other, although the attacking bit is overlooked and you need a more attacking midfielder as well. Man Utd are the example of how this works, because they never play an out and out attacking midfielder in the middle. They utilize their wingers as make-shift cental midfielders when they attack, when players like Kagawa operate in the middle. They can do this because they have sublime players in every position, but it is ever so hard when we only have limited players in our team. We never create pressure and established passing outside their box with our midfielders, they aren't really good enough to do it and our wingers are always tired from running down to help in the defensive appartment.

As for Westwood, I think the appreciation for him has been over the top. He has been pretty average, and by that I mean average for a bottom five team in the Premier League. Not one of our best, not one of our worst. Would he get into any other Premier League-team at present? I highly doubt that, I don't think a single manager would say yes to swapping him with any of the players currently playing for any team. Could be a good player in the future, but that is the problem, he needs to learn from better players to develop and now he is a sure card whenever we play. Put 11 highly regarded talents in a team and they will lose a lot of games and they will not develop as much as they could. Put the talents together with a more experienced group and let them play once in a while, and they will learn and develop into much better players. Welbeck learned how to play through playing with Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere played under Cesc Fabregas and slotted in nicely when he left for Barcelona, Oscar gets his tips from Frank Lampard and so on. I know we cannot afford this luxury, but I am not happy with giving these youngsters the chance to play every week even though they sucked the last game. The slump we had when we let in 456 games in three games was a direct result of this, the youngsters were hiding their face and just looking miserable without any form of leadership around them.

No idea as to the reason behind your first sentence. Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post.

An improvement on Bannan and Delph, but similar to both, a bit too small, and lacks presence.Has a good pass on him, and is a busy player.Needs to play alongside a bigger player..Silla?, and he would be fine.

Still think if he is a 1st teamer next year, then we could be in trouble again as we lack presence in the centre of midfield.Get a "beast" in the middle of our midfield, and it would make a hell of a difference.

I think he's the most exciting prospect at the club (that's currently in and around the first team)

I don't have any concrete evidence though so not sure if I'm allowed to say that?

Of course your allowed to say it. I have already explained that the term 'concrete evidence' was probably the wrong thing to say - but don't let that get in your way.

If thats your opinion, fair enough, I have no problem with that. But whilst there is very little evidence to support your opinion it remains very very weak, which is why I find it a bit ironic that some people ridicule others for having the opposite opinion.

The same irony in you claiming my opinion is very very weak because I can't provide any evidence (what on earth I could provide as evidence, I don't know!) when I don't exactly see you filling these pages with evidence to the contrary?

The same irony in you claiming my opinion is very very weak because I can't provide any evidence (what on earth I could provide as evidence, I don't know!) when I don't exactly see you filling these pages with evidence to the contrary?

Well the fact that he statistically offers very little to the team. The fact he is part of a midfield that has been dominated all season. How many times has Westwood been mentioned as a star this season or even as a positive like Weimann, Benteke, Guzan, even Baker and Clark have by footballing experts?

People question why I have a low opinion of most of our players. Well, 3 seasons on the trot struggling to put any sort of form together tells me that we dont have many good players. Its pretty obvious who have been our strong players this season - and I just dont see how Westwood can possibly fall into that.

Note I said prospect. Far from the finshed article.

I don't think Sergo Busquets offers much statistically to Barcelona. Doesn' tstop him being one of the best midfielders in the world.

(and no, I'm not saying Westwood is as good as Busquets or will ever be anywhere near as good as him. But they do play a similar role, and that's an example of a player who I can't provide you with any evidence for being a very good player, yet he is excellent)