Ashley Westwood

Nabby

10 hours ago, useless said:

I think he'll change a lot of people's minds this season, not just because we're playing against weaker opposition, but also because he'll be playing with better players, who'll be more tuned into his wavelength.

That's your big clue to let you know how good he is.

• Like 1

That manager's keeping playing him is a clue that he's at least good enough for us. The whole team will be playing against weaker opposition this season, is that a clue to let us know how good they are. Not even sure why people are questioning his ability.

25 minutes ago, useless said:

I've said this before, but I think midfield is the hardest position to understand for a lot of football fans. Seems midfielders don't get rated unless they're scoring goals, dribbling past players, or making lots of tackles in front of the defense. Players with Westwood's style only get attention if they happen to play for one of the 'big clubs'. Probably a British football thing.

Players with Westwood's `style', ie. ineffective and unnoticed, never play for `big clubs'.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't say you don't get football if you don't rate Westwood, (and I wouldn't say thing like that, because I'm sure there are heaps of things I don't get about football). Just that a lot of British fans haven't been educated to appreciate his style of play.

We don't need that sort of education.

I think you are seeing things that are not there.

• Like 1

And you make my point for me once again, with those last three words.

My point was that a lot of football fans just don't get players of Westwood's style. It was obviously not that he's ineffective and unnoticed, otherwise you wouldn't be disagreeing with me.

1 hour ago, mwj said:

What wavelength is that?

"Receive ball, look forward.. no no can't play a pass into feet, look sideways... dither... dither.. uh oh midfield has been closed down, need to play it back to centre half for a long ball upfield"

?

No, none of that.  It's already been disproven in this thread.

Again, lazy stereotype.

21 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Players with Westwood's `style', ie. ineffective and unnoticed, never play for `big clubs'.

I'm curious as to how he is "ineffective".  It's thrown around a lot, but what does this mean?  What affect should he be having on games?

I've already posted stats but apparently they don't count, so I'd like to know what makes him ineffective.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm curious as to how he is "ineffective".  It's thrown around a lot, but what does this mean?  What affect should he be having on games?

I've already posted stats but apparently they don't count, so I'd like to know what makes him ineffective.

If he was in a gearbox he would be a "jockey"gear as opposed to a driving gear.

For those that are unfamiliar with gearboxes its a cog that links driving gears/ cogs but does nothing on its own. 

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

If he was in a gearbox he would be a "jockey"gear as opposed to a driving gear.

For those that are unfamiliar with gearboxes its a cog that links driving gears/ cogs but does nothing on its own. 

Keeping things ticking over so to speak?

• Like 3

I'm not his biggest fan and ultimately he's probably not good enough for where we want to be.

That said, I think he has done OK this season. This is probably more down to the championship being his level but he has looked to get on the ball and keep the side moving forwards. 
If an offer of 5m+ came in for him then I might be tempted to sell but as things stand, he's certainly one we should look to keep unless we find a suitable replacement. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

And you make my point for me once again, with those last three words.

My point was that a lot of football fans just don't get players of Westwood's style. It was obviously not that he's ineffective and unnoticed, otherwise you wouldn't be disagreeing with me.

I agree with you, in that I do not get his style. That is my opinion, but I am happy to admit that I possibly do not know enough about football to appreciate the subtle nuances of his game.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

If Jedinak is as good as many expect him to be, you may see what I mean about being effective.

Pretty sure Michael Carrick was labelled as ineffective but what does Sir Alex Ferguson know. 

RDM has been pretty ruthless with our squad, yet Westwood has started every game... If RDM thinks he isn't useless that's good enough for me. 

• Like 4

"Pirlo clone"?

why is that people need to resort to ridiculous, condescending comments? 

All im seeing here is one side saying that Westwood has started well and is worth keeping  and the other side is adamant he's shit and making sarcastic remarks. 

If people were saying he's amazing, pirlo-esque etc I'd get the ridicule but literally nobody is. 

• Like 1