Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Think was probably a dig at Culverhouse and Karsa rather than Lambert

Not sure you can really separate them out like that, given that C & K were Lambert's personally picked right-hand men. He may also have had Mr Keane in mind. And maybe that fact that PL was apparently trying to do everything after all his team left or were sacked and not replaced.

I jsut said it because near the end I dont think Lambert had a backroom staff. At one stage it was Shay Given :P

Personally I can't help but think that if there is one position in a team that Sherwood is ideally experienced to asses it's CM.

I used to think that about Paul Lambert as well, and then we had the worst midfield in decades under him. 

Personally I can't help but think that if there is one position in a team that Sherwood is ideally experienced to asses it's CM.

I used to think that about Paul Lambert as well, and then we had the worst midfield in decades under him.

But he could judge a CM. Delph improved no end under him. He signed Westwood for £900k which was great business, tried to sign the likes of Ki and the Japanese lad plus he took Cleverley when everyone thought he was shit.

Whatever the limitations of the team and Lambert he could spot a CM.

As much as I wasn't a fan of PL ......It could be argued that it was money from his signings that has paved the way for this summers spree.

funny ole' game ..football.

• Like 1

But he could judge a CM. Delph improved no end under him. He signed Westwood for £900k which was great business, tried to sign the likes of Ki and the Japanese lad plus he took Cleverley when everyone thought he was shit.

Fair point. 

• Like 1

but he also sold Barry Bannan :(

• Like 1

As much as I wasn't a fan of PL ......It could be argued that it was money from his signings that has paved the way for this summers spree.

We seem to have been very wise/lucky with finding a replacement for PL. It could have worked out a lot worse, which was why I supported him probably for too long.

But, as you suggest, it's ironical that thanks to him we're now spending about three times as much per player and the squad is looking pretty good, and this makes him appear to have been incompetent in the transfer market (We're also able to offer proper wages to new signings because Lambert's signings aren't on high wages.) Closer to the truth is probably that he was just less competent at getting the owner to invest actual money in the squad.

Westwood is a typical example of a Lambert signing: Good value, but not a world-beater because world-beaters just do not cost less than three million pounds any more.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

We seem to have been very wise/lucky with finding a replacement for PL. It could have worked out a lot worse, which was why I supported him probably for too long.

But, as you suggest, it's ironical that thanks to him we're now spending about three times as much per player and the squad is looking pretty good, and this makes him appear to have been incompetent in the transfer market (We're also able to offer proper wages to new signings because Lambert's signings aren't on high wages.) Closer to the truth is probably that he was just less competent at getting the owner to invest actual money in the squad.

Westwood is a typical example of a Lambert signing: Good value, but not a world-beater because world-beaters just do not cost less than three million pounds any more.

I still thought that Lambert was good in the transfer window considering the limitations placed on him. Westwood, Okore, Bacuna, Benteke all good players, particularly considering the money spent. Of course he also got some absolute tripe aswell....

Lexicon you are confusing capable with eligible.

No, I'm not. I looked at what he said as a clause ('capable of being called up by England') rather than just a word. I know exactly what he meant but I chose to interpret it in a different way, which is easy to do when you write a sentence like that.

Godlike transfer:

Benteke

Very good:

Vlaar

Okore

Westwood

Gil

Cleverley

Sinclair

Good:

Senderos

Sanchez (potential to move up this list)

Bacuna

Average:

Cissokho

Cole

Richardson

Kozak (not enough time to know where he really stands, but certainly not a bad signing given his goal record)

El Ahmadi

Lowton

Bertrand

That's 17 of his 26 signings being at least average (in terms of transfer value and contribution to the team and not where they stand as players today). So yes, you can argue against your hyperbolic assertion that the majority of his signings were awful.

No, I'm not. I looked at what he said as a clause ('capable of being called up by England') rather than just a word. I know exactly what he meant but I chose to interpret it in a different way, which is easy to do when you write a sentence like that.

That clause literally means 'he has the ability or skill to be called up by England'

So your original statement is still wrong.

Godlike transfer:

Benteke

Very good:

Vlaar

Okore

Westwood

Gil

Cleverley

Sinclair

Good:

Senderos

Sanchez (potential to move up this list)

Bacuna

Average:

Cissokho

Cole

Richardson

Kozak (not enough time to know where he really stands, but certainly not a bad signing given his goal record)

El Ahmadi

Lowton

Bertrand

That's 17 of his 26 signings being at least average (in terms of transfer value and contribution to the team and not where they stand as players today). So yes, you can argue against your hyperbolic assertion that the majority of his signings were awful.

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind Cleverley (who did naff all under lambert), gil, Sinclair and okore all being very good?

Add to that Sanchez and sender's being good.

These players haven't done anything.

Out of lamberts signings I would say only benteke, Vlaar, Westwood and bacuna have contributed to the team in any worthwhile effect. The rest I think you'd struggle to highlight sustained contributions to the team.

Edited by Woodytom

I'd also be interested how so many signings are deemed at least good - 10 in fact. Yet we struggled to put any sort of form together and constantly battled the drop.

It just doesn't stack up. Sure you can have decent players In shit teams, but not 10.

For the money we had to spend they were very good.

The main issue was Lambert killing the offensive play and confidence. But that is for another thread.

Westwood is more than capable (he certainly has the ability, in case for some weird reason this isn't understood) to play for England.

• Like 1

That clause literally means 'he has the ability or skill to be called up by England'

So your original statement is still wrong.

It's not wrong because there are different ways what he said can be interpreted. There is nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise, so you may as well just give up.

I'd also be interested how so many signings are deemed at least good - 10 in fact. Yet we struggled to put any sort of form together and constantly battled the drop.

It just doesn't stack up. Sure you can have decent players In shit teams, but not 10.

Well for one, Lambert was very bad at getting the best out of the team so that's the main reason we struggled. I mean he only lost his job for it. But as I already pointed out, all of those players aren't necessarily good players but at the very least good signings for where we were at the time. Cleverley came in to replace KEA, which was an upgrade and therefore a good signing. The fact that he showed great form during Sherwood's reign supports that too. Senderos was a proverbial rock in defence during his short time there before his injury and was good value for a free transfer. But yeah I think we're getting a bit OT now