Ashley Westwood

Nabby

A Westwood through ball is a rare sight.

It is pretty rare, although I think it's less rare than a through ball from Cleverley, Richardson, Delph, Bacuna, etc.

I'm not saying he's going to kick start our attack -- our attack was pretty blunt when Westwood was fit and playing. But I do think we miss his intelligence on the pitch. His set piece delivery's been much improved this season too, we've scored from two of them. He offers more than Cleverley and Bacuna in my opinion.

I think our strongest midfield would be Sanchez and Westwood sitting deep with Cole up ahead of them.

I've already answered this.

He actually passes forward from midfield and looks for the through ball.

Nobody else in our midfield does this. Even when we had Delph.

A Westwood through ball is a rare sight.

I don't think he does anything Sanchez didn't do today.

I think you should probably watch more closely then. You can never have too many decent passers of the ball and his passing variety is different and more incisive that Sanchez's.

• Like 1

Well Westwood didn't make much difference when he played so I'm not sure what difference he's going to make now.

I'd rather him play than cleverley though

He looks forward and passes forward.  That's the difference he makes.  If you're going to play a passing style of play, you need midfielders that actively look to get the ball forward.  Westwood is our best player for that.

• Like 1

And what did having him in the before his injury lead to?

It wasn't any different. I agree he's a good passer and I'd have him in the starting 11 next game if he was fit but I don't see him making a big difference to the team.

And what did having him in the before his injury lead to?

It wasn't any different. I agree he's a good passer and I'd have him in the starting 11 next game if he was fit but I don't see him making a big difference to the team.

I don't think it matters "what it lead to", the fact it happens is what makes him important.

Benteke hasn't scored in 3 games - do you drop him?  Hell no.

I really didn't mean to start all this fuss, all I asked is when is he back. Does anyone know?

It's clear to me that some supporters really rate Westwood (including me) and some just don't. No one on either side is going to convince the other.

They say you always become a better player when you are not playing.

Without trying to fall into this Westwood good or bad game we constantly play on VT, i am struggling to think of one goal he has created, apart from free kicks and corners in the last 2 years.

Now you can take that as a criticism of him if you like, but like many posters on here, i am struggling to see how he will improve the team.Joe Cole yes, not sure about Westwood.

January 10th I think.

Anyway. we need to change formation.

IMO, him and Sanchez need to play as the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation. With Sanchez now up to speed with the PL, they can be a very decent midfield partnership.

• Like 1

Westwood, Delph and Sanchez is a decent midfield.

Still little creativity though.

That was a good point though above, I'd be looking to implement 4-2-3-1 now....e.g Sanchez and Westwood as the base infront of our back 4 and then god knows what behind Benteke. 

It could be an easier way to integrate Grealish into the starting 11 although no doubt Lambert will shoe horn Gabby and Weimann into it somehow.

• Like 1

I think he will make a difference when is back.

A difference to what exactly? Our best possession stats (supposedly his greatest asset is keeping the ball) have come without him so we don't need him in the team to look after the ball.

We certainly aren't prolific in terms of goals/wins with him.

Again, he won't come back in and make things worse. But I don't see what difference hel make based on the previous 2 1/2 years.