Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I like Westwood but him and Delph are too weak as a 2 IMO and both need competition as they look complacent and that goes for Weimann and Gabby aswell. A strong DM would benefit him immensely as he'd play that bit further forward. Big season for him.

Invisible yet created the 2nd most chances by an Englishman in the league.

Criminally underrated by our own fans.

I'm bemused by the amount of people that can't see how good a player Westwood is.  If we sign Sanchez then it will allow Westwood to sit further up in midfield beside Delph and concentrate on what he is good at, he is never a DMF.  When we play good attacking football he is always at the heart of it, his passing is brilliant and he was second only to Gerard in chances created by an English player last season.  It's not his fault he had the likes of Gabby and Weimann upfront who constantly made a balls-up of our good chances.  I look forward to him improving again this year and being one of our best players.

In the first quoted post, the words 'by an Englishman' are quite a qualification!

I'm bemused by the amount of people that can't see how good a player Westwood is.  If we sign Sanchez then it will allow Westwood to sit further up in midfield beside Delph and concentrate on what he is good at, he is never a DMF.  When we play good attacking football he is always at the heart of it, his passing is brilliant and he was second only to Gerard in chances created by an English player last season.  It's not his fault he had the likes of Gabby and Weimann upfront who constantly made a balls-up of our good chances.  I look forward to him improving again this year and being one of our best players.

In the first quoted post, the words 'by an Englishman' are quite a qualification!

Yeah I thought so to, thanks for your input!

They are... but that includes, say, Rooney, Barkley, Sterling, Wilshere, Henderson, Barry, Lampard, Carrick, Nolan etc. etc....

...and also for a team that was a "relegation battler" all season.  He IS underrated because he's not spectacular.

2nd edit:  He's also been deployed as our "holding midfielder" - not playing to his strengths at all.  Still managed to create plenty.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

What's the source of those stats?  It may well be true, but I'd be surprised if it was.

I don't want to piss on everyone's chips but that's probably because he takes our corners. I like Westwood, but he needs to influence games more if he wants to be a true guaranteed starter. He's very good at spreading the play, but if he does end up further forward he needs to be more direct and really make things happen. 

I don't want to piss on everyone's chips but that's probably because he takes our corners. I like Westwood, but he needs to influence games more if he wants to be a true guaranteed starter. He's very good at spreading the play, but if he does end up further forward he needs to be more direct and really make things happen. 

This is true, though I don't think we've seen the best of him since he spends so much time sitting back 'protecting' the back 4, with a proper defensive midfielder doing that job he should be able to cross the half way line and use his brilliant passing to get players away, plus he is pretty neat on the ball which should allow attackers a little bit more space, I think his ability to find a short pass is fairly wasted behind central midfield.

• Like 2

Except he's not very good at taking corners.

This is true, though I don't think we've seen the best of him since he spends so much time sitting back 'protecting' the back 4, with a proper defensive midfielder doing that job he should be able to cross the half way line and use his brilliant passing to get players away, plus he is pretty neat on the ball which should allow attackers a little bit more space, I think his ability to find a short pass is fairly wasted behind central midfield.

But when he signed he himself said that his role was to sit in front of the defence. Like Carrick

All these chances created yet zero assists from open play. Not sure why people keep rolling that stat out. Someone on here clarified that the statistical definition of a chance was just a pass leading to any attempt on goal no matter how far out or off target. His figure was clearly bumped up by the fact that he took all of our set-pieces and he is a poor set-piece taker at that.

So if you create a chance and that person doesn't score it's the creators fault? Westwood is the only decent passer we have at the minute. People love Delph yet he doesn't create much. I think if Westwood took people on instead of passing it he'd get more recognition! He has to up his game this year but if as a passing midfielder you have zero movement up front you'll never look brilliant.

• Like 1

So if you create a chance and that person doesn't score it's the creators fault?

So can you point out these 50-60 (can't renember the figure given ) chances created by him that were just squandered by other players then?

But when he signed he himself said that his role was to sit in front of the defence. Like Carrick

I know this, and he's a similar player to Carrick but Carrick had more space to find the killer/chance creating pass and when coming forward (past the half way line at least) he could make moves for other players, he didn't exclusively sit, it was just his default role.

For us Westwood defends/breaks up play as well as tries to move the ball forward and as we saw at United last year 1 averagely defensive player who also makes chances is going to struggle with no protection,

I think Westwood's best hope is a defensive player to give him more time and space on the ball, we have an odd combination of midfield talent but I do think if we need someone to play the right passes Westwood is an easy choice.

So if you create a chance and that person doesn't score it's the creators fault? Westwood is the only decent passer we have at the minute. People love Delph yet he doesn't create much. I think if Westwood took people on instead of passing it he'd get more recognition! He has to up his game this year but if as a passing midfielder you have zero movement up front you'll never look brilliant.

Westwood hasn't got the ability to take people on like delph.

All these chances created yet zero assists from open play. Not sure why people keep rolling that stat out. Someone on here clarified that the statistical definition of a chance was just a pass leading to any attempt on goal no matter how far out or off target. His figure was clearly bumped up by the fact that he took all of our set-pieces and he is a poor set-piece taker at that.

If he's such a poor set-piece taker, why is he finding his target and creating chances?