Ashley Westwood

Nabby

No I saw that, but I also saw his dropping off and his complete lack of tracking his man which led to a few chances.

I really like him, but I've seen him play better.  shrug.gif

fair enough, that is one of the things he has to improve on without doubt. Hes still young and hopefully will add that to his all round game. Not easy though when we constantly are getting ripped to shreds down the wings so he is having to drop deeper to cover on ocassions. 

He is a DM, that is his job anyway. 

No he is actually a central midfielder who needs to add the defensive side to his game to be able to make it in the premiership.  

Most lightweight DM Ive ever seen.....

In other words, a DM who doesn't contribute defensively. 

No an all round central midfielder!

Except that he plays as a DM and says himself that it is his job to protect the defence. 

We win for the first time in 6 and there's still things to moan about. VT - ladies and gentlemen :D

Speak up...I can't hear you on that high-horse. Seriously though, do you ever get bored of making such comments? 

Sort the corners out Westwood!!! I mean its not to hard to send in a powerful corner. No disrespect, but ive seen better corners in amateur Sunday games Too high, too floaty, too short, I mean what are you trying to do???

• Like 1

I thought he was good today. Though one thing does get to me, including today. He doesn't close down quick enough when the opposing team are lining up a shot outside the box. You seldom seeing him blocking a shot from around the D

I thought he was good today. Though one thing does get to me, including today. He doesn't close down quick enough when the opposing team are lining up a shot outside the box. You seldom seeing him blocking a shot from around the D

How can a defensive midfielder have had a 'good' game when he failed to protect the defence?

With regard to the corners,it seems apparent that it's instruction to float them in this manner.

Witness Barry Bannan back at vp on Boxing Post,his corners were a combination of near post,short and delivered whipped in.Something he failed to do all last season.

As for Westwood,he's obviously finding it harder now that he's been monitored and scouted by the opposition.The good players learn to adapt over time to the pressure.I suspect he'll have a better season next year.He strikes me as a fairly intelligent player

How can a defensive midfielder have had a 'good' game when he failed to protect the defence?

Well we didn't concede so he must have done okay. More to a DM than blocking shots on the end of the D

I thought he was poor in the first half. Improved a little in the second half but was mainly anonymous. Yeah he passed sideways well with a few forward passes. He just doesnt get forward enough and doesnt win the ball enough. Just an average Joe. Good squad player but we need a proper DM there who can win headers in the air, tackle and spray the ball around.

I am genuinely not sure about Westwood. He had a decent end to last season and I was hoping he would really kick on but it just hasn't happened. He will be 24 soon and come the end of the season have 2 seasons at this level under his belt. He really now needs to start showing he can start producing for us consistently. For me he should be the player that keeps us ticking over much as Petrov used to do. That to me is his role and he just isn't doing it to a high enough standard anything like consistently enough.

He is not alone though in being one of the youngish players who just hasn't kicked on from the back end of last season. The same can unfortunately be said for Baker, Lowton, Sylla and Weimann. Big second half of the season for all of them.

Edited by markavfc40

Not a defensive midfielder really... He's a deep lying playmaker. The breaking up play and crunching tackles thing isn't really his game to my mind.

Yes to your mind, not his:

My job is to try and protect the back more...

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/the-betfair-big-interview---aston-villas-ashley-westwood-191013-201.html

Always amusing when people don't think that actual defensive work is apart of his game when he plays as the deepest midfielder.

Not a defensive midfielder really... He's a deep lying playmaker. The breaking up play and crunching tackles thing isn't really his game to my mind.

Would agree heavily with this statement :) Imagine him in a midfield alongside Delph and Defour.

Edited by Avflife

He protects nothing.

A "deep lying playmaker" that doesn't tackle, eh? Thought we offloaded one of those to Crystal Palace last summer.....

... and, tbh, he'd do no worse than Westwood.

Just a desperate use of the semantics card by some because they know that having the word 'defensive' to describe what type of midfielder he is would intensify focus on and expose his complete ineptitude in this department.

Thankfully Westwood himself has put it on record that protecting the defence is his job so it can't be denied any longer. In fact, I brought this up when the interview was done but it is no surprise that most chose to ignore it as it clearly doesn't fit in with the picture they've painted of him in their heads.

To describe him as a 'deep-lying playmaker' is absurd anyway. Never has anything said by the player or the manager suggested this is his role. Westwood himself has said he 'keeps it simple and ticks things over' which is not the duty of a playmaker. Lambert also always praises him for his possession retention and ability to 'keep it simple'.

Funnily enough, it was actually Bannan who was played as the deep-lying playmaker last season and received lots of abuse for not doing enough defensively despite it being more Westwood's responsibility than his.

Edited by Isa

You know, for not being a playmaking midfielder, he surely looks odd leading the team in chances created

Sums up everything you need to know about the current level of quality and the creativity in the team.

What someone is and what he should or aims to be are two different things.

He is a mix, a player who can do different things but is not very good at anything.

To me it looks like Lambert has brought in several players like this. I think next we should look to improve these players by acquiring players that play a certain role well.