Ashley Westwood

Nabby

To be fair to him, I don't think he can be accused of being negative on Saturday. He did try to play quite a few attacking balls but obviously very few come off as he isn't that good.

I sometimes wonder what you watch. He missed 8 passes all game.

So your last comment is absolute bollocks.

Not really. By 'come off' I meant resulted in any particular opportunity.

Really? What does that even mean? If they were attacking balls, and most of them were completed, does the blame lay with him that they didn't result in oportunities or with those further forward than him? I suspect that this is merely a shifting of the goalposts.

It means that his attacking balls either failed or didn't result in anything. Just because it reaches a player who isn't in a position to really do anything with it, then it is unlikely anything will come from it. The thing is that the chart that highlighted success-rate was already put up before my post. So I already knew that he hadn't given the ball away a lot.

I ask you again, does the blame lie with Westwood or with the lack of movement/inability to create of players in front of him? To illustrate this, recall his ~40 yard cross-field ball to Gabby in the first half. On the graph, it's the one from near the centre circle to near the left corner flag. Gabby was practically by himself in acres of space. Yet, since he didn't create anything subsequently you just completely disregard the pass from Westwood that gave him the opportunity. If he managed to beat his fullback and deliver a cross for Christian to head home, then does Westwood's pass become better? It's still the same forward-thinking, expansive pass. You are being incredibly harsh on him, and seem to be forgetting that he is not a playmaker, but rather a deep-lying center mid. It just isn't his job to create opportunities, so using that as a stick to beat him with is well wide of the mark. What he does very well is drive the team forward from deep as the graph succinctly illustrates, and even that technically isn't his job.

I ask you again, does the blame lie with Westwood or with the lack of movement/inability to create of players in front of him? To illustrate this, recall his ~40 yard cross-field ball to Gabby in the first half. On the graph, it's the one from near the centre circle to near the left corner flag. Gabby was practically by himself in acres of space. Yet, since he didn't create anything subsequently you just completely disregard the pass from Westwood that gave him the opportunity. If he managed to beat his fullback and deliver a cross for Christian to head home, then does Westwood's pass become better? It's still the same forward-thinking, expansive pass.

Maybe you missed my first post after Saturday's match but I conceded that he played a few decent balls. The one you mention being one of those. However there were many balls, for example some played to Weimann, where he was in no real position to do much with it. So while I obviously won't chastise Westwood for finding his target, I won't overly praise him either.

You are being incredibly harsh on him, and seem to be forgetting that he is not a playmaker, but rather a deep-lying center mid. It just isn't his job to create opportunities, so using that as a stick to beat him with is well wide of the mark. What he does very well is drive the team forward from deep as the graph succinctly illustrates, and even that technically isn't his job.

I'm not sure about that. The fact that he tried to look for the forward pass at every opportunity does suggest there is clearly some onus on him to actually create. In fact, I've noticed this since the West Ham game, where he looks to play it forward far more often then he was. Also I didn't exactly 'beat him' with my comment. I corrected somebody who claimed he was negative in fact.

That free kick summed up his season so far bar the 2nd half of the West Brom game. Can someone teach him how to whip a corner in with pace instead of this floating the ball up shit.

The players should refuse to even make the effort to enter the box when he is taking a set-pieces. A complete waste of their effort and energy. 

I don't think its Westwood's fault he is only taking floaty crosses. It must be an instruction from Lambert. Bannan did exactly the same before him.

I wish he'd defy those instructions sometimes and whip the bloody ball in at speed.....problem is Lambert would probably fine him!

Awful game today. Not on the right wavelength.

Worst of all he wasn't coming back to get the ball. He kept pointing for Clark and Herd to pass it to each oothr.

Get the ball and pass it yourself to someone! Really didn't like him today. Completely unlike some of his most recent performances as he didn't want to start the plays from the back.

I don't think its Westwood's fault he is only taking floaty crosses. It must be an instruction from Lambert. Bannan did exactly the same before him.

I wish he'd defy those instructions sometimes and whip the bloody ball in at speed.....problem is Lambert would probably fine him!

I agree - I think it's what Lambert wants. I think the theory is that Benteke has such a great leap that he will simply rise above everyone else in the contest. Problem is that it has only ever happened once that I can recall.

Crosses 8, accurate 0.

We're not as dangerous as we were last season from set piece situations.  

Time to move Bacuna into midfield where he can take them.

I'm pretty sure that almost all those crosses were from set-pieces though?