Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Hardly. 

His point was about a 'key pass' that was about 3/4 passes away from a goal.

I was refuting the point that 'all Westy does is pass sideways' with a forward pass that directly led to a goal.

Are we really doing this?

The point was 'all he does he pass sideways' yet there's a direct assist when he passes forwards. Last season he passed the ball more than anybody else, had the most assists out of our midfield and sprayed the ball around at times. I remember QPR at long last year when he was something 9/9 on long balls and 87% overall. 

He hasn't started the season well, but that doesn't automatically make him a bad player, like you and others seem to think.

• Like 1

Well I suppose I'll do it.

Westwood's pass to set up Gabby's cross to Benteke versus Rotherham

Benteke1a_medium.gif

Ashley Westwood cross for Agbonlahor against Everton

Agbonlahor_Goal_1_medium.gif

There's also about 4 corners, but I'm not going to put those since his are "rubbish" which is amusing since we haven't scored off a corner that wasn't taken by Westwood in a little over a year now. I can't find the gif of the goal versus Liverpool last year either, but you get the point.

If anyone can manage assist gifs from other Aston Villa midfielders in the past year or so, I'd be happy to see them.

I think that is more to do with him having Benteke to aim at then any reflection of the quality of his corners. Surely nobody would argue he is a good set-piece taker when about 95% of them are complete wastes?

There's a few that aren't direct assists as well IIRC.

Reading away into Zoggy, Chelsea away this year into Gabby. The notion that he only passes sideways he as ridiculous as saying Guzan only ever throws the ball.

I think that is more to do with him having Benteke to aim at then any reflection of the quality of his corners. Surely nobody would argue he is a good set-piece taker when about 95% of them are complete wastes?

I didn't say they were perfect. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of his corners. I prefer them whipped into the near post as the percentage wise most successful corner.

I know you don't like him, Isa, but let's not pretend that our other midfielders are world beaters with their through balls and assists.

Without Zoggy, Westwood is the next most likely midfielder to produce an assist or a key pass. That might say more about the state of the AVFC midfield than about Westwood, but it's incredibly disingenuous for people to come on here and say that he just does a Bannan. Bannan's not fit to tie Westwood's shoe laces.

He can be upgraded upon, but like I said, I think he will do very well against teams we are obviously superior to like this upcoming run. I expect him to put his stamp on the game since the next few games are against weaker teams.

Edited by Kwan

I didn't say they were perfect. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of his corners. I prefer them whipped into the near post as the percentage wise most successful corner.

I know you don't like him, Isa, but let's not pretend that our other midfielders are world beaters with their through balls and assists.

Without Zoggy, Westwood is the next most likely midfielder to produce an assist or a key pass. That might say more about the state of the AVFC midfield than about Westwood, but it's incredibly disingenuous for people to come on here and say that he just does a Bannan. Bannan's not fit to tie Westwood's shoe laces.

He can be upgraded upon, but like I said, I think he will do very well against teams we are obviously superior to like this upcoming run. I expect him to put his stamp on the game since the next few games are against weaker teams.

I like him but think he is only suited for one style of play. Even if we assume I do 'hate him' as his reactionaries on here keep telling me I do, that wouldn't really take away from any point I make.

Secondly, I don't recall ever claiming that we have other midfielders any better in possession then Westwood. Thus why I believe our midfield is so poor.

I don't really agree with the Bannan comment either. I don't think they are leagues apart but then I never thought Bannan was as bad as made out in the same way I don't think Westwood is as good as made out.

Other then that, I agree with the rest.

I like him but think he is only suited for one style of play. Even if we assume I do 'hate him' as his reactionaries on here keep telling me I do, that wouldn't really take away from any point I make.

Secondly, I don't recall ever claiming that we have other midfielders any better in possession then Westwood. Thus why I believe our midfield is so poor.

I don't really agree with the Bannan comment either. I don't think they are leagues apart but then I never thought Bannan was as bad as made out in the same way I don't think Westwood is as good as made out.

Other then that, I agree with the rest.

I've been very supportive of Westwood but pound for pound i believe Bannan is more talented but size and atitude may have let him down. 

I thought he was much better on Saturday.

Up until Osman came off he and Delph did admirably well in the middle of the park seeing as they had one less man in there.

The problem wasn't centre midfield on Saturday it was that we missed a pen and 3 one on one's. Then switched off twice. That is more than enough to lose a game in the Prem.

I think some people on here expect the centre midfielders to be ripping a team apart with key passes or whatever. But that is not Westwoods job and not really Delphs (although he can and does contribute in this area).

It is the onus of Tonev, Weimann and Gabby to be creating the chances. They did that to extent on Saturday but we didn't tuck them away.

I would love to see someone else taking the corners.  But if Lambert cant grant me that wish for goodness sake tell Westwood to put it in with a bit of pace.  Every corner this bullsh1t old lobbed passes into the box.  I get so annoyed everytime.  You cannot beat a pace on a corner, if it doesnt find its intented target it can still end up in the back of the net. 

But he fell asleep again on sat, let Osman run behind him, who then passed the ball to Lukaku as he did at Everton last season, and Fellaini scored, as he did against Lplop when Henderson scored.

Look i don't want to keep knocking Westwood he is very much in the Barry Bannan mould, a nice footballer, with a nice pass, but too slow, and too weak for the Prem.If Sylla was playing instead of him on saturday, i don't believe Osman would have got the pass away to Lukaku, and that goal killed us.Yes Gabby, Weimann and Tonev have got to do much much better, but there is no way that Westwood should be in , as a defensive midfielder, in front of Sylla

But he fell asleep again on sat, let Osman run behind him, who then passed the ball to Lukaku as he did at Everton last season, and Fellaini scored, as he did against Lplop when Henderson scored.

Look i don't want to keep knocking Westwood he is very much in the Barry Bannan mould, a nice footballer, with a nice pass, but too slow, and too weak for the Prem.If Sylla was playing instead of him on saturday, i don't believe Osman would have got the pass away to Lukaku, and that goal killed us.Yes Gabby, Weimann and Tonev have got to do much much better, but there is no way that Westwood should be in , as a defensive midfielder, in front of Sylla

Maybe playing only 2 in midfield against Everton was the problem

I dont think you can compare westwood to bannan, they are different types of players. Westwood plays the percentage or if you are being critical the safe pass, whereas Bannan will go for the more ambitious ball . Which alas more times than not means a aimless long ball to the other side/goes out of play. There is a reason that the only manager tha really rates Bannan is Ian Golloway, who is now currently unemployed.

Did'nt hinder us for 70 mins PaulC, we was probably the best team in that 1st 70 mins.

Sylla and Delph for me is just a more reliably defensive unit, but each to their own.

Yes I agree unfortunately being a goal down leaves us more vunerable.