Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Correct me if I'm wrong as an American, but isn't he stuck behind Carrick at this point in terms of getting into the English team?

That question is based on 2 factors: 1) position and 2) Westwood doesn't play for a Top 4 team so Way probably isn't sure he exists on this planet.

Carrick will be 32 soon. I would be very surprised if he was starting in the qualifiers for euro 2016 so then it becomes down to the likes of Westwood, Cleverly, Wilshere, Henderson, Chalobah etc to claim the starting midfield spots . Secondly, Aston Villa have provided more England internationals than any other club so playing outside of the top 4 does not determine if you're good enough to play for England. 

Edited by bradarmstrong_

I dont want to put too  much pressure on the lad but I wouldnt mind a cheeky bet for Westwood to be in the England Squad by the end of this season. Which probably means we would have to sell him. So I like the current arrangement of us Villa fans saying that Westwood is going to be a  top class player for us and the rest of the fans saying Ashley who?

I'm not sure if he will get much of a look in with the national team unless he moves but even then I don't know. I think with another good season though he should be in the deliberation at least but he just isn't a big name and the way he plays is often over looked. Just look at Carrick even, only 29 appearances he has. I fear the likes of Henderson, Cleverley, Wilshere, Rodwell and even Shelvey will continue to get picked over him even if he is playing better at club level simply because they are bigger names and are already a part of the set-up. Good player though and was very shrewd business by PL to pick him up.

Secondly, Aston Villa have provided more England internationals than any other club so playing outside of the top 4 does not determine if you're good enough to play for England.

the same aston villa who's european cup winning team provided 1 squad player for the 1982 world cup...

i know its easy to feel hard done by the england selection but IMO it does exist, Woy blatantly has his favourites, wouldnt expect westwood to oust cleverly or rodwell no matter how well he plays, or how little those 2 play (let alone how poorly)

same as i dont expect lowton to oust johnson (who is the new SWP, **** knows how he keeps getting picked) or walker

gabby not being picked i the last friendlies has diminished the last bit of faith i had in england squads being picked on merit

Correct me if I'm wrong as an American, but isn't he stuck behind Carrick at this point in terms of getting into the English team?

That question is based on 2 factors: 1) position and 2) Westwood doesn't play for a Top 4 team so Way probably isn't sure he exists on this planet.

He is definitely stuck behind Carrick but if he is really seen as Carrick's replacement then they'll potentially want a look at him sooner rather than later. Given that Carrick is 32, he won't be first choice for long.

Which makes this contract extension very timely on Villa's behalf because we all know the kind of chatting that happens when you join up with a national side.