Joe Bennett

Si.

At times he is very good going forward and on the odd occasion he does defend well but yes overall he hasnt been good. The problem I have is the vitriol towards him, it seems a common theme at the Villa whereby if you arent good straight away then you are written off even Beneteke has had fans giving him a tough time. He's a young lad and whilst moaning on here is fine at the match its just not gonna help especially at a time when they need all the encouragement they can get.

Yes, and the problem with the vitriol is it seems to be unfairly dished out onto particular players, the lad needs encouragement to express his attacking instincts, this would also help defensively, because it keeps the opponents attacking winger/midfielders back.

dont agree with the vitriol. but when not playing well first thing you do is make everything simple and he doesnt. His dribbling out of defence in 2nd half on tuesday was stupid and predictable when a 5 yard square ball to  Delph or Clark was easier( this happened 2 or 3 times right before the corner)

Yes, and the problem with the vitriol is it seems to be unfairly dished out onto particular players, the lad needs encouragement to express his attacking instincts, this would also help defensively, because it keeps the opponents attacking winger/midfielders back.

Well what you do, you take him out of the firing line.  Put him on the reserves, get his confidence up and put him back in when he is good enough.

Well what you do, you take him out of the firing line.  Put him on the reserves, get his confidence up and put him back in when he is good enough.

Possibly, if you had a good option to go in.

I guess it depends on your belief in the lad, if Lambert thinks he can play better as he gets fitter, with more games under his belt, maybe he can change peoples perceptions.

Maybe Lambert feels that the team needs the attacking width he offers, if and when he improves.

I'm not going to judge Bennett for being played in this position.

Notice from this graphic he's not a defender. He actually gets furthest in-field in the opponent's half of the pitch.

Lowton's heat map is similar

Tonight against Newcastle we played 3 defenders.

20r90ft.png

We've won 9 games with Lichaj at LB this season.

These are the only games we've won this season.

Anyone who says we can't win a match with Lichaj at LB... I disagree for the above reason.

We've won 9 games with Lichaj at LB this season.

These are the only games we've won this season.

Anyone who says we can't win a match with Lichaj at LB... I disagree for the above reason.

I'd agree that Lichaj should start before Bennett everytime. He is not great by any means, but he is more capable of playing LB in a 442 than Bennett. Him or Baker all day for me. 

Â