Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

Yeah but apart from being further out, and around the wall instead of over it, and with his other foot, and against a different team, it was exactly the same.

Jesus, tough crowd.

It's the one that jumped into my head - probably because we've only scored about three free kicks in the last five years....

I think one of the things which has really benefited both him and us is playing him in the free-role. He's probably the only player who doesn't really have any form of defensive duties, but he does get stuck in every now and again. He needs to be leading counter attacks and running at players. When Gabby returns this will help with our counter attacking. N'zogiba said under McLeish he was not liking football because he was defending too much. He doesn't exactly play with a smile on his face now but he seems to have had a kick up the arse. Our chances of survival depends on Zoggy's form. 

Nah, he has played there before and done sod all PieFacE. We've tried him everywhere and up until yesterday with very very few sporadic exceptions he has been useless. People mistake possession for 'having a go'. Zog has always been a dribbler. But he has taken 'dribbling into dead ends' to a new level this season. An art form if you will. His dribbles usually end up with him going on what is ostensibly an 'impressive run' right up until he achieves precisely nothing and loses possession. Yesterday was different and long may it continue.

Nah, he has played there before and done sod all PieFacE. We've tried him everywhere and up until yesterday with very very few sporadic exceptions he has been useless. People mistake possession for 'having a go'. Zog has always been a dribbler. But he has taken 'dribbling into dead ends' to a new level this season. An art form if you will. His dribbles usually end up with him going on what is ostensibly an 'impressive run' right up until he achieves precisely nothing and loses possession. Yesterday was different and long may it continue.

I don't think yesterday was the turning point of him playing good. I'd say the Bradford first leg was the first game where I thought he started to look effective in the free role hole (lol)... Against the Baggies I thought he was brilliant. 

I think you are right, but with one change: Westwood and Benteke, who weren't really around when Nzog was running into cul de sacs.

I think he is getting the ball from Westwood in a little more space, and Benteke is providing hold up play as well as dropping deep enough to occupy some defenders. I think Charles has more options to run with the ball or play 1-2 with Benteke.

I also think he likes playing with Benteke (I believe they have become good friends, or so I read on here) as it almost seems he is looking to pass to the big man, even when I think he should have carried on with the ball. When is the last time Charles made a pass he didn't have to?

Yeah but apart from being further out, and around the wall instead of over it, and with his other foot, and against a different team, it was exactly the same.

Jesus, tough crowd.

It's the one that jumped into my head - probably because we've only scored about three free kicks in the last five years....

I'm only messing mate. I don't even remember the MIlner one you're on about.

I was just amused by the comments is all.

I think you are right, but with one change: Westwood and Benteke, who weren't really around when Nzog was running into cul de sacs.

I think he is getting the ball from Westwood in a little more space, and Benteke is providing hold up play as well as dropping deep enough to occupy some defenders. I think Charles has more options to run with the ball or play 1-2 with Benteke.

I also think he likes playing with Benteke (I believe they have become good friends, or so I read on here) as it almost seems he is looking to pass to the big man, even when I think he should have carried on with the ball. When is the last time Charles made a pass he didn't have to?

Yesterday was a good team effort and you are hopefully correct. If an improving (and already impressive) Westwood can bring N'Zogbia's game on then that's great. I thought Westwood & Delph's partnership in the centre of midfield yesterday was a bright spot. It is no co-incidence that the defence had one of their better games because they were getting decent protection from ahead of them. Hell, even Westwood's unfortunate own goal was scored from what was actually a good defensive position for a centre mid. Of course all bets are off for the next 2 fixtures. Anything we get will be a bonus. And yet I'd be confident that we will at least go ahead against Arsenal :)

Eh?

I usually meet you half way with your opinions but this time you're waaaaay off BOF. He's had a good season, well as good as can be considering he wasn't fully fit and able until December. As the poster above points out I recall Bradford being the first time he was given a proper, defined role rather than farmed out on the wing. It's no coincidence that we've looked a lot sharper and far more fluid going forward since then. 

He links well, he pushes us forward and he provides. Yes, he will ALWAYS be one for running into blind alleys. He certainly has more confidence than he does ability. But to say yesterday was the first time he has performed this season is very, very wrong in my opinion. You must be the only person who believes that and that normally signifies an incorrect judgement.

cant knock him for his second half input, first half was same old same old, gets the ball runs into a defender loses the ball, or a spectacular shot off target.. no end result

but he at last got some end results in the second half which won us the game

im not a great fan of his, he has had so many chances to produce, i dont just mean score goals, i mean put the ball into the box, thread a ball through to a forward, something productive instead he stays on the ball far too long wont make the pass and loses it far too many times for my liking.

but credit where it is due, second half he delivered

Eh?

I usually meet you half way with your opinions but this time you're waaaaay off BOF. He's had a good season, well as good as can be considering he wasn't fully fit and able until December. As the poster above points out I recall Bradford being the first time he was given a proper, defined role rather than farmed out on the wing. It's no coincidence that we've looked a lot sharper and far more fluid going forward since then.

In my opinion, we haven't had a problem looking sharp and fluid going forward this season. Our problems have been at the back and they still are. We've scored more goals this season already than we did in the entirety of last season in all competitions. We've done that largely without N'Zogbia.

He links well, he pushes us forward and he provides. Yes, he will ALWAYS be one for running into blind alleys. He certainly has more confidence than he does ability. But to say yesterday was the first time he has performed this season is very, very wrong in my opinion. You must be the only person who believes that and that normally signifies an incorrect judgement.

I don't think he links well. Once he gets the ball, he dribbles and the next player to touch it is invariably an opponent. Yes he pushes forward briefly and until yesterday he didn't provide. That was my point in a nutshell. His possession tended to gloss over almost complete ineffectiveness. As for going against the majority of football fans. Let's just say I'm comfortable with that :)

Everytime he goes off we just sit back with no outlet, yes sylla coming on is for a good reason but i think nzo needs to stay on, hes the only one whos willing to grab the ball and take it up field and when were under so much pressure we need it. If we had against swansea and everton maybe wwe'd have 4 more points at the moment.

Certainly makes a big difference when our senior players perform, hopefully Zog can go from strength to strength.  It's often the ones that seem to have the biggest egos that are actually quite insecure and rely on confidence (or so I've read in some sports psychologist bollocks), hopefully now that Lambert has given him the prime role and he has responded he and Benteke can steer us to safety. 

To be fair though last season we got knocked out of the cups pretty early on. Therefore we didn't have a lot of chances to score goals in those competitions.

Hence rendering the "More goals in all competition's" invalid. 

It would be fairer to look at just league goals. 

To be fair though last season we got knocked out of the cups pretty early on. Therefore we didn't have a lot of chances to score goals in those competitions.

We were knocked out because we were shit. Being shit should not be a defence. At best it's extenuating circumstances, but the fact still remains. This season we have been good enough to outscore last season before Valentine's Day. That's quite incredible IMV, especially considering we haven't exactly pulled up trees this season.
  • Like 1

Eh?

In my opinion, we haven't had a problem looking sharp and fluid going forward this season. Our problems have been at the back and they still are. We've scored more goals this season already than we did in the entirety of last season in all competitions. We've done that largely without N'Zogbia.

>He links well, he pushes us forward and he provides. Yes, he will ALWAYS be one for running into blind alleys. He certainly has more confidence than he does ability. But to say yesterday was the first time he has performed this season is very, very wrong in my opinion. You must be the only person who believes that and that normally signifies an incorrect judgement.

I don't think he links well. Once he gets the ball, he dribbles and the next player to touch it is invariably an opponent. Yes he pushes forward briefly and until yesterday he didn't provide. That was my point in a nutshell. His possession tended to gloss over almost complete ineffectiveness. As for going against the majority of football fans. Let's just say I'm comfortable with that :)

We have had the ability to score goals but taking aside the cup competitions, where there is a different imputus, we haven't done so anywhere near enough. We've scored more than last season because we're set up to play in an entirely different way. We go at teams. My eyes, not statistics, have told me we have done this with a lot more effect since N'Zogbia has been given a regular run in the side. A goal and 3 assists, winning a couple(?) of penalties along the way would suggest I'm correct.

As for not linking well, I guess that is subjective. My eyes vs your eyes, it's an unwinnable debate. 

We were knocked out because we were shit. Being shit should not be a defence. At best it's extenuating circumstances, but the fact still remains. This season we have been good enough to outscore last season before Valentine's Day. That's quite incredible IMV, especially considering we haven't exactly pulled up trees this season.

Incredible? Not in my opinion. Comparing last season to this is like comparing night and day. We've been equally as shit, worse perhaps, but for entirely different reasons. 

I agree we have goals in us, have done all along. We're scoring them with much more regularity now and for that I'm thankful. Like him or not, Charles is a part of that. Maybe the focal point, even more so than Benteke. 

Anyway, here's to many more. 

He came on against Norwich in the league cup and changed the game, every performance from him since has been a good one. I reckon PL and the coaching staff gave him a big ego boost after that Norwich match.

Was yesterday the first time since he signed that he has had a song sung about him?

Nah when he first signed we had a song for him.

He plays on the left,

He plays on the right,

Charles Nzogbia,

Makes Downing look shite.

Edit: Song is probably still true as well.

Edited by AndyM3000

Â