Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

I can't wait to see the back of him personally.

If he has no interest in playing for us then I'd agree. But, I always feel that as long as he's a Villa player and could still do a reasonable job for us, then he should be considered for a place if need be.

Another way of looking at it is if we do want to sell him, then its best for all concerned if he's actually in the shop window.

Hard to blame Mcleish for that signing because who wouldn't have wanted Nzog after the season he had for Wigan

I didn't and I wasn't alone but people got rather upset on here when people said it at the time.

It was a bad signing at the time by a terrible manager.

He hadn't even had a good season at Wigan he had two purple patches, both oddly ahead of transfer windows. hmmm

Hard to blame Mcleish for that signing because who wouldn't have wanted Nzog after the season he had for Wigan

I didn't and I wasn't alone but people got rather upset on here when people said it at the time.

It was a bad signing at the time by a terrible manager.

He hadn't even had a good season at Wigan he had two purple patches, both oddly ahead of transfer windows. hmmm

Agreed.  I was being told at the time that he was a replacement for both Downing and Young and so for 10M was great business

I remember that after we lost Downing there was a clamour on here to sign Zog and I was a part of it. He was hot property at the time and it looked a sure thing that he was going to move on from Wigan. Part of the clamour was also a fear that we'd pocket the Downing money rather than attempt to replace him with a senior player.

I still think he gets too hard a time on here. It's the opposite of the Cuellar effect, when players become brilliant in the fans' eyes by virtue of not being in the team. This effect, let's call it the N'Zogbia effect, is when the enemy (Zog) of my friend (Lambert) is my enemy too and I will exaggerate the case against him.

If you look back objectively at last season, N'Zogbia's relatively few appearances yielded a lot of key goals and assists. He got us a lot of points last season. Has he lived up to expectations? Of course not. No-one is saying that. But he has ability and he has not been the liability that other players have been, nor has he rocked the boat. One thing's for sure. We could do worse than call upon him if we're in dire need at some point. His cameos last season showed there's still an effective footballer in there.

Part of a clamour to sign him? Which other clubs were forming part of that chasing pack BOF? I don't recall us having any competition, in fact the only other club I can recall coming close to signing him was Small Heath under McLeish.

I don't think anyone has said he hasn't ability, he has. What he doesn't have is a good work ethic, even the man who signed him questioned his motivation.

He is like so many other players in recent years a waste of money and a waste of wages and I will be pleased to see the back of him. His contribution in the time he has been here for the fee and wages he has cost has been woeful.

The clamour amongst Villa fans, not amongst Premier League clubs. The general thinking at the time was "We better get N'Zogbia as a replacement for Downing or else ...".

I remember that after we lost Downing there was a clamour on here to sign Zog and I was a part of it. He was hot property at the time and it looked a sure thing that he was going to move on from Wigan. Part of the clamour was also a fear that we'd pocket the Downing money rather than attempt to replace him with a senior player.

I still think he gets too hard a time on here. It's the opposite of the Cuellar effect, when players become brilliant in the fans' eyes by virtue of not being in the team. This effect, let's call it the N'Zogbia effect, is when the enemy (Zog) of my friend (Lambert) is my enemy too and I will exaggerate the case against him.

If you look back objectively at last season, N'Zogbia's relatively few appearances yielded a lot of key goals and assists. He got us a lot of points last season. Has he lived up to expectations? Of course not. No-one is saying that. But he has ability and he has not been the liability that other players have been, nor has he rocked the boat. One thing's for sure. We could do worse than call upon him if we're in dire need at some point. His cameos last season showed there's still an effective footballer in there.

Part of a clamour to sign him? Which other clubs were forming part of that chasing pack BOF? I don't recall us having any competition, in fact the only other club I can recall coming close to signing him was Small Heath under McLeish.

I don't think anyone has said he hasn't ability, he has. What he doesn't have is a good work ethic, even the man who signed him questioned his motivation.

He is like so many other players in recent years a waste of money and a waste of wages and I will be pleased to see the back of him. His contribution in the time he has been here for the fee and wages he has cost has been woeful.

At the time Everton and Sunderland were in for him, think Newcastle tried to sign him when they sold Andy Carroll too.

At the time Everton and Sunderland were in for him, think Newcastle tried to sign him when they sold Andy Carroll too.

They were all linked in the press but realty that doesn't mean anything. Only two clubs were ever confirmed to have bid for him during his time at Wigan, Small Heath and us both under McDull.

Would be a pretty deadly front three of Zog, Benteke and Gabby if they were all fit and on form.

He doesn't like to do too much defensive work, which makes sense that isn't the kind of player he is but under McLeish and Lambert they both like hard working players who track back. I feel like he's never really settled into the club.

I'm inbetween Trent and BOF's posts.

I do believe he has the ability to do something extraordinaire on the pitch when the mood takes him but it's his application and discipline that is in doubt and as we are currently a unit of team ethic rather than flare then if N'Zogbia has an off day the team won't function properly.

That is the problem for Lambert. How we accommodate N'Zogbia in our team? 

Nzogbia needs to be put in the number 10 role behind Benteke and given licence to do whatever he wants. 

Lambert wont play him though, he will be forced out in January. We have Tonev and Helenius who can add to our attacking flair..........

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.

Paul Lambert claims he will keep an open mind on whether Charles N’Zogbia has a future at Aston Villa - but will not rush the winger into a return from a serious Achilles tendon injury.

N'Zogbia was initially given a January date for a return after rupturing his Achilles during a training session while on holiday in Miami in the summer, but Lambert now feels it could be an even longer absence.

The Frenchman is among Villa's highest earners, alongside the likes of Shay Given, Stephen Ireland and Alan Hutton and was earmarked as another potential candidate to be allowed to leave the club by manager Lambert last summer.

He was stripped of his No.10 shirt in the summer and handed the No.36, but he still has over two years left on the five-year deal he signed when he joined for £9.5 million from Wigan in July 2011.

Lambert believes any long-term decisions on N'Zogbia have to be postponed until the attacker makes a full recovery and is cleared by the medical staff at Villa.

"I always have an open mind. We’ll see what happens in January but we need to get his injury cleared up first," said Lambert.

"I think an Achilles is a bad injury. When you get that sometimes you’re better off just breaking your leg because you can come back quicker. It’s just a horrible injury to get and all we can do is wait and see."

N'Zogbia is some way off being allowed to return to full time training and the delay over his recovery raises questions about his ability to make a Premier League return before the end of the season.

"He’s still a way bit off. It’s still a bit of a long-term one. I wouldn’t have thought the whole season, but it will still be long term. We need every player to be fit," said Lambert.

"I think, first and foremost, Charles has got to get back fit and then we’ll see what happens from there. I think it’s unfair pressure to put on him.

"It’s going to take its time to heal. I just have to wait and let the medics here treat him the way they think’s right and see where he goes."

Â