Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

What's the latest on that alcarez for wigan? His return for them in feb coincided with an upturn in results but hobbled off v west ham.

Also we play chelsea just 2 days after they play 4 games in 10 days. Got to fancy us to get something

If Spurs score early then I would maybe fancy them to  go on and win. But Spurs are notoriously unreliable (ask any of their fans) when you need them to get a result. The fact they need the win to push for 3rd/4th will hopefully drive them to victory - but you could counteract that by saying Wigan have a lot to play for too. 

Strange things happen at this time of the season so i'm far from confident that Spurs will beat them - will just have to wait and see. Ill be watching them with a Spurs mate and have assured him I will be as much of a fan as him on Saturday (bar wearing any colours or singing "oh when the Spurs")

Edited by roonst83

Arsenal have lost Giroud for 3 games not good for us , he doesn't  score alot but they will have to play Gervinho now

Gervinho's in great form. He scored against Swansea then ran the show against Reading (1 goal, 2 assists), got an assist and almost MOTM against the Baggies (that's 3 consecutive games in the past month) and although he hasn't played the last 2 games he has been much better than up to that point. It's all good.

Also we play chelsea just 2 days after they play 4 games in 10 days. Got to fancy us to get something

If I recall, the last time we played Chelsea they'd played a similar run of games, including a couple on the other side of the world. And we all know how that went! ;)

Our weakness is our defence. Chelsea's strength is their attacking midfield's ability to open a defence. We will lose to Chelsea. I've given up trying to find reasons as to why we might pull off miracle results. Chelsea are the perfect team to expose us. We need to concentrate elsewhere on our schedule. They can rotate Torres with Ba. They can use any three of Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Ramires, Lampard or Moses. Trust me, they'll be fine :(

Gervinho, although not a favourite player of mine, is much better than any of our midfielders, sadly!

Three matches for Giroud? That's harsh, is that even a tackle to the leg? Kind of stops on top of the ball and the player goes down rolling.... maybe I have seen the wrong video. We see it time and time again, every player has an extra incentive in faking extreme pain so that the other player gets a red card. Stupid referees. The tackle from Assou-Ekotto the other day was given a yellow card basically because the tackled player didn't make a meal out of it, in my opinion that was much more of a red card. Studs high and too much speed going into it making it extremely likely he would hit the player and his legs.

We are seventeenth and fighting relegation. We have been in this position for most of the season and if we don't get a result against Sunderland are in dire trouble. There has been little or no progression on the league table so if you view that as progress then good luck.

haha - I'm not surprised that you deliberatley miss the point but which of the statistics above do you disagree with?

We are clearly progressing but it doesnt suit your argument to admit that

Of course we are in trouble, no one is disputing that but the progress is also clear to see - I just hope (and expect) that we can maintain our from for the last four games of the season and if so our run of form bodes well for next year

McLvPL2_zps74ce280e.jpg

The statistic i base my point of view on is where we have been and currently are in the league. Is it so hard for you to understand?

Same old, same old Morpheus - when the facts don't fit make something up. We are in a shit position in the league but we are progressing. Last season we were in a shit position and getting worse.

The trouble with this is the trend doesn't really mean anything. Yes it does it means something, it means that slowly and gradually we are getting better. You were putting a similar chart up just before our horrendous run over Christmas to demonstrate the "progress" being made and then look what happened. As I clearly said we were making good progress during the first half of the season and that was ruined by a terrible Christmas period. Since then we have steadily improved our performances and points return. We were apparently clearly progressing at that point and then proceeded to go on one of the most atrocious runs I have ever witnessed, something that your charts didn't suggest was about to occur. I don't know if you know much about statisiics (serious question) but a positive trend in the past does not guarantee a similar trend in the future. All I am pointing out is that under McL we were getting gradually worse and under Lambert we are getting gradually better. I am desperate for us to stay up and really hope Lambert's tenure and his so-called "project" turn out to be the revolutionary approach that leads us back up the table in a sustainable fashion, but I worry that even if we do avoid the drop, without significant investment, next season will be very similar to the current one. I agree that we need investment next season to further progress A trend I would like to see is the points return compared to level of investment, going back a number of seasons - I think this may be more indicative of the progress we are making, or not. In my opinion, as a club we are not making progress in the longer term - quite the opposite. My hope is that we survive this year and we can strengthen and be a little more comfortable next season. I think the days of us ever being more than a mid-table side are a long long way off

We are seventeenth. We have been at the lower end of the table for most of the season and we are currently fighting a relegation battle. Last season we also were threatened with relegation. What exactly have i made up and this progression you speak of, does it actually show in league position and points compared to last year?

Are you still going to be spouting this rubbish if we are relegated?

McLvPL1_zps7dbbb0ae.jpg

There has been some debate on this and the PL thread about current form and whether we are progressing or not. It's a quiet day today so I took a look at the points return (averaged over five games) for last season and for this. If you look at McLeish's season (on the left) you can see that the trend was downwards and getting worse. Looking at this season, you can see that the trend is upwards and getting better. 

In fact, this season there are two distinct upward trends - good progress initially, a disasterous Christmas period and then another period of progress since the Swansea game.

Lambert has made some mistakes as all managers do but the trends show that he is taking us in the right direction. If the trend this season was downwards I would agree with all the haters on here that Lambert is not the right man but I am seeing progress - I also admire the way that he is doing it with young players and trying to play attractive football. 

We need six points from the next four games - ideally from the next two, and then we can look forward to a happier time next season

Just had a look at your chart. Very interesting. Nice inverted head and shoulder formation prior to the first good run we had. Christmas period looks like a correction in an upward trend and now we've returned to old high we're getting resistance. Wouldn't be surprised if we crash through the trendline and find support about 1.00 when Bannan is recalled for the game against Norwich.

2lcteva.png

I'm genuinely worried about the Norwich and Sunderland games. With our defence we rely so heavily on our front three, all it takes is them to not function or an injury to one and it really effects our chance of winning the game.

Our defence isn't a problem........until we take the lead !

We need to perfect the art of scoring all our goals @ 75+ minutes - that way we can hang on - if we score early on, we are done for......

I am absolutely shitting myself. This is going to be an intense run in now. Who ever stays up will deserve it. We have 3 winnable games, if we can't get 6 points from a potential 12 when we need it then we don't deserve to stay up. I expect 4 points from the next 2 games but I hope we get 6 and its put to bed before we play Chelsea. All eyes on Wigan vs Spurs!

We have got 14 points from our last 30. That would suggest we can just about manage 6.

are you shocked we are where we are? since the day mon/RL 5 YEAR plan popped we have slowly been deflating as as club regarding players/attendances etc. the simple fact is..if RL wanted ASTON VILLA to be a top 6 club he could. 

If we stay up..what about next year? when will we get back on track.its a joke how we are now.

• Like 1

We've gone 24 games now without keeping a clean sheet

Sweet Jeebus

Its shit.

However, win our next two  games by 2-1, and we are fine.

I know we are not happy, but we ALL need to get behind the team on monday. Even if we go one down, we need to keep right behind them. Jitters in the stands are felt on the pitch.....lets just make VP a wall of noise from start to finish B)

are you shocked we are where we are? since the day mon/RL 5 YEAR plan popped we have slowly been deflating as as club regarding players/attendances etc. the simple fact is..if RL wanted ASTON VILLA to be a top 6 club he could. 

If we stay up..what about next year? when will we get back on track.its a joke how we are now.

This ^^^^^^^ 100x times over 

Much as I want us to stay up, the scenario that we escape relegation by the skin of our teeth this time - but are much improved next season - wots it based on ? - The idea that our players take a 2 month break, then come back significantly better players ? - Im not buying it.

I can see no solid evidence that next season would be that much better than this - Our chairman has probably been to 5 games this season - hardly seems like he has the enthusiasism  to loosen the purse strings to any great degree 

So whilst I want us to stay up - until we have a chairman who shows some degree of interest - I fear we will continue to flounder..............................in whatever division...

This ^^^^^^^ 100x times over 

Much as I want us to stay up, the scenario that we escape relegation by the skin of our teeth this time - but are much improved next season - wots it based on ? - The idea that our players take a 2 month break, then come back significantly better players ? - Im not buying it.

I can see no solid evidence that next season would be that much better than this - Our chairman has probably been to 5 games this season - hardly seems like he has the enthusiasism  to loosen the purse strings to any great degree 

So whilst I want us to stay up - until we have a chairman who shows some degree of interest - I fear we will continue to flounder..............................in whatever division...

I do as we have improved as the season has gone along. Before the West Ham home game I thought we had very little chance of staying up, now we have a slightly better than even chance but I don't feel confident at all. Sunderland is going to be the most nervous game so far this season. If we win we will be in a good position, a draw doesn't help us that much, unless Wigan loose to Spurs and a defeat I don't want to think about.