Rino8

Reina has been poor the last two seasons and a big reason imo why their defence is much leakier these days than it was under benitez. I think Mignolet is a good signing. Not sure about their other signings but I'm pretty sure their summer isn't done yet.

Nah its not Reina's fault. One of the reasons has just retired at least three seasons too late. Why successive managers kept picking the footballing equivalent of the Ark Royal is beyond me. Carragher has been awful for some good time now. But now he's gone they need a replacement, even Nelson Mandela would be an improvement.

I agree - but Reina has been poor as well.

• Like 1

I think Reina has been poor for a few reasons

1. no competition

2. he seemed a bit down since Rafa left

3. think he was fed up with Liverpool not challenging for top 4

They've spent millions on back up keepers too, carson, itandje, doni, jones, gulacsi, cavalieri and now mignolet.

Edited by Jimzk5

I think Reina has been poor for a few reasons

1. no competition

2. he seemed a bit down since Rafa left

3. think he was fed up with Liverpool not challenging for top 4

They've spent millions on back up keepers too, carson, itandje, doni, jones, gulacsi, cavalieri and now mignolet.

Eh? I think Mignolet will become first choice.

I feel dirty for saying this, but I think Liverpool have done very well so far this window. I'd expect them to challenge top 4 this year should any of the big boys have an off season

Challenging doesn't necessarily mean achieving. FWIW I think they'll challenge too. I can see them being a lot closer to Spurs. Let's see what the next 2 months of transfers brings up.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8801741/Shakhtar-Donetsk-coach-warns-Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-off-Liverpool-Spurs-move

Shakhtar Coach claiming that him going to Liverpool or Spurs would be a mistake

"I can understand the urge to leave if he has a chance to go to a club that surpasses Shakhtar, like Barcelona or Real Madrid, but not many clubs are beyond our level - not clubs like Liverpool or Tottenham"

"We are a strong club with 50,000 passionate supporters every week, and every year we are fighting for the league, the cups and the Champions League"

To be fair the bloke from Shakhtar makes an excellent point......

And I disagree with him. In the PL you're not just playing in front of 50k spectators, you're playing in front of the largest global audience in football (World Cup aside), week in week out. You're also playing against sides that are of a higher quality, every week.

The likes of the Ukrainian and Russian leagues are, for all their money, far behind the PL and that is one of the reasons why players there get linked with PL sides that are not challenging for the league title. (I'd go as far as to argue that in the case of Liverpool, its huge presence worldwide increases its appeal to players by making them seem like a bigger club than their league position suggests. This reasoning can be applied in general to the rest of the PL as well, to varying degrees.)

• Like 1

Agree with Legov...

but still LOL at the comments from Liverpool fans on that article.

"Why would he go from Shaktar to Spurs? they both have no pedigree and European tradition, he should join Liverpool, winning there means more, because you are following the footsteps of true legends, not a perpetually failing, third team in London"

Haha!

Â