Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

Guzan, Herd, Weimann, Bannan, Lichaj, Burke, Gardner.

Guzan is decent. Herd, Bannan and Lichaj have got some experience. Gardner I like. Weimann is a prospect and a good impact sub. Burke admittedly is just a kid who will be happy to have made it to the bench - but that bench doesn't look that bad to me.

I'm a little worried about our central midfield. Delph has a massive amount to prove that he's good enough for this level and Alan (cheers OBE, could be his new nickname) Ahmadi is unproved also. And neither of them are particularly imposing figures. It is very forward thinking though and I like that, hopefully we'll be entertaining this season!

This Villa team is probably the biggest unknown quantity that we have seen for many years. I really have no idea how good a side we are at the moment, and I suspect Lambert isn't fully sure either.

i find it worrying that PL thinks Delph is a DM...

his tackling isn't even that good let alone his distribution to start off attacks...

he is a winger all day long and not a great one at that...

Herd should be in there

Delph is definitely not a winger. He's a central midfielder. I do agree that he's not a DM though. I see Delph as a box-to-box CM.

There's no real quality on the bench for us, if we're in the shit, i.e. a goal down with 20 minutes to go, there's no one on that bench that can come on and change the game, that's a real worry for me because he aren't gonna just show up and 'see West Ham off'. It's going to be a very tough and competitive game.

well our defence just got worse!

Baker at left back? very very brave....

West Hams defence looks just as shit so basically the teams whos forwards are on form will win...

but look at our bench! Urggghhhhh

I might be proved wrong Sonic but I don't think we are that bad, guess we will soon find out!

Come on Villa, The Paul Lambert era is about to get going for real!

There's no real quality on the bench for us, if we're in the shit, i.e. a goal down with 20 minutes to go, there's no one on that bench that can come on and change the game, that's a real worry for me because he aren't gonna just show up and 'see West Ham off'. It's going to be a very tough and competitive game.

The players will be massively fired up. Most of them will want to prove something to the manager and that can count for a lot. I have confidence that Weimann can come on and make a difference.

Team looks a bit........average. Though that's taking into account that I don't know how the new new boys are going to get on, if they turn out to be good signings then it's a different story.

No warnock, no Hutton.

Must be both close to an exit to not even be on the bench

Bannan can add a spark, Weimann can score a goal. I'm not concerned by the bench. The first team could do with a little strengthening, but the bench worries me less.

God I love Stevie Ireland. He will be out most important player this season.

Big season for him, he has done **** all in a Villa shirt thus far. I personally think he's far too inconsistent and really a luxury player. I hope he proves me wrong though.