Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

AVFC: Given, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Holman, Delph, El Ahmadi, N’Zogbia, Ireland, Bent [c]. Subs: Guzan, Herd, Weimann, Bannan, Lichaj, Burke, Gardner.

Team News: Darren Bent is skipper this afternoon. Stephen Ireland plays just behind Darren Bent. Fabian Delph and Karim El Ahmadi start in midfield. Ciaran Clark and ‘Concrete’ Ron Vlaar make up the centre-half pairing, with Matt Lowton at right-back and Nathan Baker at left-back. Four players – Brett Holman, Karim El Ahmadi, Matt Lowton and Ron Vlaar – all make their debuts.

Good front three, rest of the team looks worryingly weak. In the fullback positions we have today one player who has up till now only played in League 1, plus a youngster who's not even a natural leftback. :|

Edit: That's a shit-looking Hammers team though :)

I would rather see Bannan, Herd or Gardner starting over Delph. He can be neat on the ball at times but I'm still far from convinced by him. The other three all offer more in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm going for a 1-1 draw. Taking a point from their place would be decent on the first day of the season.

Don't think we're winning this, personally. Asking me yesterday I'd have said the game had draw all over it but today... even with the excitement, the interest, this new era has, I feel like a loss is coming.

The team just doesn't inspire me much.

I can't believe some people think we'll get turned over by this team. Their starting XI is worse than ours.

Hope you're right mate! I'm trying to make myself say the same but I can't otherwise i'll only jinx it. :(

The only thing going for West Ham today is their fans, surely... other than that they've got to be there for the taking. This is a big step up for them again after playing such comfortable football in the Championship. I just hope we don't let them bully us about. Come on VILLA.