Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

9 caps and 27 years of age and was still playing in Holland. That would suggest he was hardly big news. The fact he signed for Villa confirms this and my point was that he doesn't command a big wage and I'll stick to this all day long. He'd have taken a modest wage to make it to the PL, he'd have been paid peanuts for Feyenoord.

Get rid and use what would be substantial wages on a new player we otherwise couldn't afford to pay. Still leaves us with Okore,Baker Clarke and SOnderos with Sanchez plus youth players as back up in the event we have the terribly bad luck to suffer another disastrous run of injuries to central defenders as we have had this year which is unlikely

I bet Vlaar is nowhere near a substantial wage. No one had heard of him when he signed for us so I can't see him commanding a huge wage at all. I also think Vlaar's hope of a substantial wage through a bumper contract are 9 months too late. No one is going to throw a load of cash at a player of his age and injury record.

Wages will not be insignificant because he is a free agent, still only 12 months after being the outstanding defender of the world cup and courted by some big teams in January. Someone will offer him substantially higher wages than we should. Let him warm someone else's treatment bench I say. I would add that I was galled at the start of the season that he might move on but another injury hit season with many mediocre performances between his injury bouts has convinced me he is now surplus Edited by sidcow

Let him go FFS!

On his best day in a Villa shirt he's okay but they have been few and far between. He has never impressed me but I know other rate him however we need players who are committed to Aston Villa and are fit enough to play more often than he has been this season.

• Like 1

I disagree. I think when he's fit he's an excellent centreback.

The issue here isn't with Vlaar's ability. It's with his fitness.

His fitness means we shouldn't be looking at a new deal. If he wasn't so injury prone then he'd be a huge loss.

• Like 3

Let him go FFS!

On his best day in a Villa shirt he's okay but they have been few and far between. He has never impressed me but I know other rate him however we need players who are committed to Aston Villa and are fit enough to play more often than he has been this season.

Absolutely.  He's made of plasticine and he makes far too many errors to be considered anything other than average.  Look at his last game against Stoke.  Directly at fault for both goals, and chucks away two points.  If we had those two points now, we'd be 5 points clear of the drop.  He's also played less than half of the league games for us this season, which is shit for a central defender, as you need a pairing who will form a reliable and solid unit.  Can't wait to see the back of him to be honest.

• Like 1

His fitness means we shouldn't be looking at a new deal. If he wasn't so injury prone then he'd be a huge loss.

LOL No suprise there as you have low standards.

I can't believe you have seen many good CB then he has been rank average in a Villa shirt and would have happily jumped ship last summer IF anyone had of offered him the chance.

i'd give him a year's extension in a heart beat but I imagine he'll take a big money contract in the MLS, I can't see him getting a big Premiership move now.

teams in Spain or Italy will snap him up. Could do a job in a top 6 team in either league

LOL No suprise there as you have low standards.

I can't believe you have seen many good CB then he has been rank average in a Villa shirt and would have happily jumped ship last summer IF anyone had of offered him the chance.

What a mature response.

Opinions differ. I think he's been very good when he's been fit. You don't. Fair enough.

I don't know why you mentioned him leaving last summer. What he did last summer means nothing regarding his ability (unless you're referring to him starring for a 3rd placed in the World Cup Holland team. They must have low standards as well i suppose)

• Like 2

Let him go FFS!

as I said before he is a good player not a great player but he was a great player for the position we were in the last few seasons. He is nowhere near as good as Mellberg, Southgate, Laursen, Dunne or even Alpay

i'd give him a year's extension in a heart beat but I imagine he'll take a big money contract in the MLS, I can't see him getting a big Premiership move now.

teams in Spain or Italy will snap him up. Could do a job in a top 6 team in either league

Well, they never did before, so I'm not sure why any of them would want him now he's even older and more injury prone.  I'd say he's far more likely to go back to the Netherlands.

Â