Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Maybe he should try the Mcgrath approach: Never train and get so blotto you can't feel any pain.

Wasn't really old enough to appreciate McGrath but it does my head in when footballers choose to drink, and then you consider how good they could/should have been.

The season richard dunne sacked the booze he was immense.

Pretty sure Richard Hughes liked a beer before sacking it off and bossing flat racing.

On that note, I'm off for a jar.

• Like 2

Vlaar is a good player and were no doubt a better side with him in it. That is down to the state of our side at moment and lack of quality in it,not because he's a mellberg/laursen player. I believe with any half decent experienced defender we wouldn't be any worse off. The Trouble will be getting the money of randy Lerner to replace him.

Vlaar is a good player and were no doubt a better side with him in it. That is down to the state of our side at moment and lack of quality in it,not because he's a mellberg/laursen player. I believe with any half decent experienced defender we wouldn't be any worse off. The Trouble will be getting the money of randy Lerner to replace him.

I think we have probably already replaced him with Senderos.

• Like 1

Some of these comments are frankly bizarre. Sure you can question his overall value as a player due to his injury record but it's staggering how some can still so badly underestimate his ability.

Why? He's rarely performed to a really high standard in a villa shirt. He's had stand out games and good performances but consistently he's done very little to improve our defence.

Its always been blamed on the players around him but I think vlaar has to take his fair share of responsibility.

• Like 2

Some of these comments are frankly bizarre. Sure you can question his overall value as a player due to his injury record but it's staggering how some can still so badly underestimate his ability.

Why? He's rarely performed to a really high standard in a villa shirt. He's had stand out games and good performances but consistently he's done very little to improve our defence.

Its always been blamed on the players around him but I think vlaar has to take his fair share of responsibility.

I'd argue the opposite and say that he often performs to a high standard in a Villa shirt - his biggest problem is that he just gets injured a bit too often.

Our defence is poor in spite of Vlaar, not because of him. I honestly don't think taking him out of it would improve it in any way and in fact the stats show that without him everything gets much much worse.

• Like 2

Vlaar was made to look good in the Holland team as he had players around him that covered for him he's just an average defender if he had of been any good why would he have come to us????

Why did McGrath come to Villa?

Same reason - dodgy injury record and a bit of a risk.

Vlaar's a very good player.

I know this is irrational (so no need to tell me) but all football agents are snakes and it really upsets me that a decent bloke like Ron has a snake just like all the rest.

I know, irrational and naive, you don't need to tell me.

It's not irrational. Football agents are leeching c**ts.

He's in the bracket with Cuellar, Dunne & Collins in terms of qualities of center half's we've had. Below the likes of god and better than ridgewell & Clark.

I'd say that's fair tbh.

Harsh on the first year. Yes he wasn't great but look at the YTS kids that made up the back 4, Bennett, Lowton and Baker two years ago, Cannavaro and Thiago Silva would struggle amongst that rabble.

One thing we will miss is his composure at the back, he passes it well and I never have any worries he's going to lose the ball doing something idiotic which isn't something you can say about our other CBs.

I know this is irrational (so no need to tell me) but all football agents are snakes and it really upsets me that a decent bloke like Ron has a snake just like all the rest.

I know, irrational and naive, you don't need to tell me.

Pretty sure that Ron is his own man and could tell his agent to **** off if he was loyal to villa. After all, we've given him more than enough for a decent pension.

My guess is, he's as greedy as his agent, and whilst I don't blame him whatsoever, let's not pretend his manipulated in this process.

Cant expect someone whos been here for a couple of years to be that loyal can you?

Hes done a good job here but lets face it, hes never going to get close to any trophy here and its not like we have paid him well enough to stay.

We should be happy for the time hes been here and wish him all the best for the future

• Like 1

Â