Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I think Southampton represent a clear step up myself. They remain a team that will be aiming to finish in the top-half whereas we will continue to be content with just staying up. My opinion of Vlaar wouldn't be affected in the slighest if he did want to move to them.

Southampton will be in the mix for relegation. I'll have a bet with you if you fancy it. They'll be within 7 points of the drop.

If Vlaar does leave us to go to Southampton we will have reached a new low in my 25 years of following them, they were in league 1 a few years ago.

If Vlaar does leave us to go to Southampton we will have reached a new low in my 25 years of following them, they were in league 1 a few years ago.

Overreaction much? They're not in League 1 anymore.

Not really...we're getting taken over by everyone. A team that was in league one a few years ago buying one of our best players isn't an overreaction.

Overreaction much? They're not in League 1 anymore.

Not really...we're getting taken over by everyone. A team that was in league one a few years ago buying one of our best players isn't an overreaction.

Look at where they are now rather where they were a few years ago, specifically look at how much money they have to spend. The fact that they were in League 1 four years ago is pretty much irrelevant.

Of course I'd be unhappy to lose him but saying it would be a "new low" in 25 years is just bizarre. If Southampton were an actual League 1 club you'd have a point but they're not.

If that is the case, does it not constitute to tapping up by Koeman? There has to be some sort of recourse for this type of unsettling behaviour.

It is but it is the sort of tapping up that happens all the time. In this case, they know each other personally anyway so unless their private conversations have been tapped, it won't ever be punished.

Southampton will be in the mix for relegation. I'll have a bet with you if you fancy it. They'll be within 7 points of the drop.

I don't bet myself but I don't mind doing something like donating to a charity of your choice if you are correct.

I think Southampton represent a clear step up myself. They remain a team that will be aiming to finish in the top-half whereas we will continue to be content with just staying up. My opinion of Vlaar wouldn't be affected in the slighest if he did want to move to them.

Happy to have a charity bet that they finish above us.

Naturally you'd think they will not do as well as last season but I still believe they won't be in any relegation dogfight and will almost certainly finish above us. I have them at 10th in my predicted league table, us 15th.

They've over took us...fair enough, overtaking us enough to buy one of our best players is just unacceptable.

It's not about that though - it's about money.

I just don't know why it's such a big deal. It remains to be seen how things will go this season but it's not like they were battling relegation last season - far from it in fact.

I think it's a big deal because more and more teams seem to be catching us and overtaking us and what does that mean for our long term future?  I mean we have the likes of hull and stoke who are becoming two teams we can't financially compete with, i find that very worrying for what kind of club we will be a few years down the line.

I think it's a big deal because more and more teams seem to be catching us and overtaking us and what does that mean for our long term future?  I mean we have the likes of hull and stoke who are becoming two teams we can't financially compete with, i find that very worrying for what kind of club we will be a few years down the line.

That's worrying (that we can't compete with most clubs in the league money-wise, I couldn't give a **** whether they were perceived "smaller" clubs) but hopefully it's a short term thing.

But the smaller thing is a big deal because it's clubs we used to be able to compete with or out muscle now gaining the advantage on us.  It doesn't matter if the big clubs get bigger and bigger because we were never going to catch them.  More and more small clubs take over us and we'll continue to drop.

But the smaller thing is a big deal because it's clubs we used to be able to compete with or out muscle now gaining the advantage on us.  It doesn't matter if the big clubs get bigger and bigger because we were never going to catch them.  More and more small clubs take over us and we'll continue to drop.

As I said, I think this will be more of a short term thing.

I still think people are overreacting a bit though with stuff like "losing Vlaar to Southampton would be a low point for the club in 25 years".

Edited by Mantis

They've over took us...fair enough, overtaking us enough to buy one of our best players is just unacceptable.

I just don't know why it's such a big deal. It remains to be seen how things will go this season but it's not like they were battling relegation last season - far from it in fact.

How do you know it's about money ? That is pure speculation.

He may well put in a transfer request and cite lack of ambition and direction at AVFC.

He won't be the first.

There are thousands of football clubs in this country. We are and remain consistently in the top 20...even in what we would all agree are poor times for us. So I really don't see what the temporary place or two, or three, or five, matters.

And vlaar certainly hasn't done enough for our club that we should be feeling we are losing a McGrath, laursen, or mellberg.

More of a southgate, and he went to middlesboro !......

I don't want him unless he 100% wants to be here.

• Like 2

How do you know it's about money ? That is pure speculation.

He may well put in a transfer request and cite lack of ambition and direction at AVFC.

He won't be the first.

I'm pretty sure that if we were able to offer more wages he'd sign a new contract - it's just common sense.

I'd agree with you the Southampton team from last year represents a clear step up but it's not that team anymore. They've lost half of it and the other best 2 players want out. They've just spent £12m on Long and if a Lambert done that we'd be going wild. We aren't content at staying up we was pushing top 10 until we collapsed at the end of last season and Lambert has stated he wasn't a top half finish. You may think we'll struggle but I and others think different. If Vlaar left for Southampton I'd be dissapointed as they aren't a clear step up and I doubt the wages on offer would be out of our reach. If he wants to go at least better yourself.

Â