Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Ive got a mate in portsmouth who is a saints fan he said virgil van dijk is there main target but vlaar is a potential target he also reckobed the dismantling of the saints team will make it difficult for koeman to temp vlaar. Not sure how true but no need to lie

Due to Lovren's departure, they are after two new centre-backs so the likely signing of Van Dijk wouldn't affect any potential deal for Vlaar.

Ive got a mate in portsmouth who is a saints fan he said virgil van dijk is there main target but vlaar is a potential target he also reckobed the dismantling of the saints team will make it difficult for koeman to temp vlaar. Not sure how true but no need to lie

Due to Lovren's departure, they are after two new centre-backs so the likely signing of Van Dijk wouldn't affect any potential deal for Vlaar.

Are they?  How do you know this? :o

If he was being signed on a free, he could get 60-70k per week because there wouldn't be a transfer fee.

However next year (when his contract is up) he will be both a year old, and not coming off the back of a brilliant World Cup. This is probably the most valuable he's ever been in his career, but that doesn't mean Villa will let him go cheap just because someone else will offer him more money.

hope roncrete stays as he is a real crowd favourite

im more concerned about united coming in for him then southampton. can see it happening as he wont go for much and LVG likes him

I don't - at all.

United have a fair bunch of players in Vlaar's bracket - and they are all younger than him. Jonny Evans is 26, Phil Jones is still only 22 years old and Smalling is 24. I think Evans has been very solid over the last few years, but Smalling and Jones took a huge step back under Moyes. Van Gaal will probably guide them in the right direction, and if they are going to make a new signing it is going to be someone who is much better than Ron Vlaar, luckily for us. The reason why I think van Gaal is going go get the best out of Jones/Smalling, is exactly the reason why he made Vlaar and the others in the Netherlands-squad defend so well. When I looked at their chances before the WC, I instantly wrote them off because of their defensive unit - but they played a certain system and utilized every bit of talent - or lack of it so to speak.

Ron Vlaar is suddenly the new Franco Baresi on this forum, but go back 12 months and opinions were divided. He is injury-prone to a certain degree and he is reaching 30 right after Christmas - I don't think there's a huge chance of him going to a top, top club. I would however be infuriated if he went to someone like Southampton or Newcastle, that would kind of epitomize how far behind we have fallen these last few years.

I would however be infuriated if he went to someone like Southampton or Newcastle, that would kind of epitomize how far behind we have fallen these last few years.

It would epitomize how much money they have to spend relative to us, nothing more.

I would however be infuriated if he went to someone like Southampton or Newcastle, that would kind of epitomize how far behind we have fallen these last few years.

It would epitomize how much money they have to spend relative to us, nothing more.

Which in itself is a reflection of the said decline, no?

United have a fair bunch of players in Vlaar's bracket - and they are all younger than him. Jonny Evans is 26, Phil Jones is still only 22 years old and Smalling is 24. I think Evans has been very solid over the last few years, but Smalling and Jones took a huge step back under Moyes. Van Gaal will probably guide them in the right direction, and if they are going to make a new signing it is going to be someone who is much better than Ron Vlaar, luckily for us. The reason why I think van Gaal is going go get the best out of Jones/Smalling, is exactly the reason why he made Vlaar and the others in the Netherlands-squad defend so well. When I looked at their chances before the WC, I instantly wrote them off because of their defensive unit - but they played a certain system and utilized every bit of talent - or lack of it so to speak.

the problem is smalling and jones are always injured, i think LVG would be crazy not to sign another cb. its not just the world cup he knows vlaar and knows how to get best of him. add the fact he is cheap and experienced and ticks all the boxes for where united are at the moment

Ron Vlaar is suddenly the new Franco Baresi on this forum, but go back 12 months and opinions were divided. He is injury-prone to a certain degree

Nobody thinks he's Baresi, opinion is still divided. Some fans make snap decisions on a players ability and then steadfastly stand by that opinion no matter what evidence arises.

He's not injury prone either to any significant degree.

Which in itself is a reflection of the said decline, no?

Not really. We could spend £25m this summer but that wouldn't suddenly make the decline disappear. The lack of transfer funds is clearly down to the fact that Lerner wants out.

I just think this "how far we've fallen" mantra gets shoehorned into places where it isn't necessarily relevant. Newcastle aren't exactly in a much better state than decline-wise us but they have more to spend because their ownership situation is stable.

Statistics don't lie.

He's not as injury prone as some like to make out though. A big chunk of his absences were down to that one long injury he had in his first season when he was out for about 2 months, which included the busy December period.

Edited by Mantis

Not really. We could spend £25m this summer but that wouldn't suddenly make the decline disappear. The lack of transfer funds is clearly down to the fact that Lerner wants out.

I just think this "how far we've fallen" mantra gets shoehorned into places where it isn't necessarily relevant. Newcastle aren't exactly in a much better state than decline-wise us but they have more to spend because their ownership situation is stable.

The reasons for the withdrawal of transfer funds here doesn't change the fact that such a policy has indeed resulted in a decline though.

Â