General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General,

a thought that came to me in another thread

Should we really be charging Villa fans £35 per year to access our official site? I mean it might seem a lot but the majority of the information on it is in the public domain. Surely to have a free service would bring in greater numbers to the site.

There is currently an offer for a nominal fee, which is fine, but I for one will not pick up the total amount as there is no value.

As an aside surely too season ticket holders - as was suggested by stevejos - not get this access free with their Season Ticket?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General,

Should we really be charging Villa fans £35 per year to access our official site? I mean it might seem a lot but the majority of the information on it is in the public domain. Surely to have a free service would bring in greater numbers to the site.

There is currently an offer for a nominal fee, which is fine, but I for one will not pick up the total amount as there is no value.

As an aside surely too season ticket holders - as was suggested by stevejos - not get this access free with their Season Ticket?

And the "premium content" doesn't work ( the videos etc) on a Apple Mac computer due to using microsoft only windows DRM. Minor issue "audience" wise, as only about 5% of people use Macs, but....

And the "premium content" doesn't work ( the videos etc) on a Apple Mac computer due to using microsoft only windows DRM. Minor issue "audience" wise, as only about 5% of people use Macs, but....

I get them working Pete, i'll PM you the details if you want?

I ve see the content work on Macs, but it is sporadic to say the least. It shouldn’t be that because 5% (its more) use Macs, that they shouldn’t have good access. As I ve said before the club phoned me up to offer me AVTV, but couldn’t as I had a Mac.

General,

A little late due to the seasons festivities but I was wondering what Sir Ron made of modern day Villa during his day out at your invitation?

Best wishes for the New Year.

Bully

General Krulak here:

1. We do have all the photos of the Trinity Stand...and they are beautiful. We do have plans for the Holte Inn, the Holte parking area and the Holte End...and, likewise, we have plans for other parts of the stadium. We need to be very careful and circumspect as we move forward with these plans. The timing needs to be right....any expansion needs to be tied to success of the club and the return of fans. At the same time, there are architectural issues that we want to fix right now...and we will be doing that. ALL will be in the context of history and tradition...you will like them!!!!

2. I will look into the web site issue. The simple fact is that we do gain some revenue from the site...and that is important as we try to make the club better. You raise a key issue though.....there MUST be something of value provided to encourage joining the site. If that isn't happening, then we need to address it.

3. I see a few comments re. our kit. As I have mentioned before, we are looking into all aspects of our commercial deals...I would ask that everyone adopt a "wait and see" attitude...I don't think that Randy will disappoint anyone.

General Krulak here:

1. We do have all the photos of the Trinity Stand...and they are beautiful. We do have plans for the Holte Inn, the Holte parking area and the Holte End...and, likewise, we have plans for other parts of the stadium. We need to be very careful and circumspect as we move forward with these plans. The timing needs to be right....any expansion needs to be tied to success of the club and the return of fans. At the same time, there are architectural issues that we want to fix right now...and we will be doing that. ALL will be in the context of history and tradition...you will like them!!!!

That really is great to hear, and on a personal level is more than I could of wished for - I thought the days of Football Club owners being interested in heritage and architechture had long gone.

Once again - thank you.

General,

Just a thought re the website.

At the moment I pay GBP43.50 per month (which I think is more than enough) for the full Sky TV package, mainly for my kids, who would make my life a misery if I cancelled any part of it. If Villa introduced a TV and website package priced somewhere around GBP8 per month I would change the level of Sky subscription to accommodate the cost of the Villa package.

On the kids front I would get away with it easily as my son is a mad Villain. Not sure that mum would be too pleased about us cancelling the movies though :)

General Krulak here:

1. Ron had an absolutely brilliant day...except for the result. When he arrived in the Director's area he was a bit withdrawn but I think he quickly realized he was with friends....former members of his teams, people he knew from long ago, and the "crazy yanks" who now work for the Club...Randy, Directors, etc. I think he had a very good time. Right before the game, Steve Stride and I took Ron down to meet with Martin and Sir Alec....and more former players. This was an enjoyable time with much banter between the Managers...all very kind to Ron. When Ron went down to the entrance to the pitch, he was a bit nervous but when his named was announced, he took right off for the center circle. When he came back, he had tears in his eyes...he was very touched by the demonstration of love and affection and respect....the fans were great!! Ron remained with us after the game for an hour...talking with people in the box, with Sir Bobby Charlton, David Gill, Randy and others. All in all, it was a very good day except for the game. Even the game had one positive feature....it showed us where we needed to go!!

2. Favorite Military Figures: I confess to being somewhat "biased"...my favorite is Robert E. Lee. Next would be Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. Lord Horatio Nelson is another. Giap...the achitect of the VietNam victory...was a remarkable warrior. Moshe Dayan of the Israeli Defense Force. Omar Bradley, "The Soldier's General" of WW II. Irwin Rommel, the "Desert Fox". All of these men had something special when it came to leadership, warfighting, vision and ability to "touch" the individual.

3. We are currently looking into a possible move into our own TV station production.

General Krulak here:

3. We are currently looking into a possible move into our own TV station production.

I wish you would and soon, it can be a lifeline for overseas fans able to get cable and satellite.

Thanks for the other confirmations too ,)

I support the establishment of a Villa TV station.

Also DVD's of games (extensive highlights) each month would be great, if possible.

Keep up the good work General and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

General Krulak here:

I wish you would and soon, it can be a lifeline for overseas fans able to get cable and satellite.

Thanks for the other confirmations too ,)

I went to Spurs, and noticed that they seem to have a TV station - they certainly showed stuff on their big screens which was professionally presented, "appeared" to be Live TV and was a distance ahead of the Villa pre-match and half time "media".

I think what I'm saying i that there are clubs, clearly, who might be able to help or advise on what they do, and Villa could take what suits us from that.

General,

a thought that came to me in another thread

Lancs, I access the Official Site for free, and am able to get 99% of the info I require - latest stories, ticket news etc etc.

The only content I am not able to see for free are interviews, footage of games etc. basically, the stuff I think the club have a right to try and make money from......

I thought I would post this as your original post is a tad misleading in suggesting that you have to subscribe to get any sort of info from the OS - this is not the case.

Cheers, Digs

2. Favorite Military Figures: I confess to being somewhat "biased"...my favorite is Robert E. Lee. Next would be Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. Lord Horatio Nelson is another. Giap...the achitect of the VietNam victory...was a remarkable warrior. Moshe Dayan of the Israeli Defense Force. Omar Bradley, "The Soldier's General" of WW II. Irwin Rommel, the "Desert Fox". All of these men had something special when it came to leadership, warfighting, vision and ability to "touch" the individual.

Interesting list. I guess you must be a southerner, with your choices of nos. 1 & 2 ! Nelson is a good call, and clearly some respect for an old adversary with Giap. Nice to see Omar Bradley get a mention over the big-name bigheads like Montgomery and Bradley.

I'd add Shaka Zulu to the list.

Mike

General Krulak here:

1. Ron had an absolutely brilliant day...except for the result. When he arrived in the Director's area he was a bit withdrawn but I think he quickly realized he was with friends....former members of his teams, people he knew from long ago, and the "crazy yanks" who now work for the Club...Randy, Directors, etc. I think he had a very good time. Right before the game, Steve Stride and I took Ron down to meet with Martin and Sir Alec....and more former players. This was an enjoyable time with much banter between the Managers...all very kind to Ron. When Ron went down to the entrance to the pitch, he was a bit nervous but when his named was announced, he took right off for the center circle. When he came back, he had tears in his eyes...he was very touched by the demonstration of love and affection and respect....the fans were great!! Ron remained with us after the game for an hour...talking with people in the box, with Sir Bobby Charlton, David Gill, Randy and others. All in all, it was a very good day except for the game. Even the game had one positive feature....it showed us where we needed to go.

Excellent news about a possible TV station, as well as getting the fans closer to the club it is also useful in that you get a captive audience who can't change the channel when I have the remote, a complimentary good rather than a substitute.

Ron wasn't the only one who was emotional when he went on the pitch, that was what most us felt, from those in the ground to those watching on tv or listening to radio. Saw you on Match of the Day with Ron too.

Did you get good feedback on what is happening at the club from those with experience in the business such as David Gill?

Happy New Year if I don't see yourself and Randy at the Valley on Saturday.

General Krulak here:

when he came back, he had tears in his eyes...he was very touched by the demonstration of love and affection and respect....the fans were great!! Ron remained with us after the game for an hour...talking with people in the box, with Sir Bobby Charlton, David Gill, Randy and others. All in all, it was a very good day except for the game. Even the game had one positive feature....it showed us where we needed to go!!-

great to hear that General and the last statement is what I want hear, positive and a clear aim, the message has to be that with the proviso it will take time !!!

We kept getting told AVTV is coming, I presume this has been delayed then ?