General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General

Happy New Yearand thanks for a 2007 with Hope!!

Few ideas...

A lot of money is spent on the acadamy but all the clubs are going after the same talent, somebody spoke previously of Birmingham sending a forward party to cross no mans land into the Northern stronghold of Sutton Coldfield!! Now General.... this is like the Canadians recruiting mounties outside the gates of Camp Pendleton!!!

We will already be doing a lot to find talented kids, this has to be our focus. Just thought of an idea which may compliment... could we focus some help on the people organising these kids teams? If we supported these coaches, facilitated FA Approved training and supplied kit and balls we would get a lot of goodwill. By default these guys love the game, most would probably love to have made it to a big club like Villa as players but now try to help others. This in itself is worthy of help. The slightly Villa orientated reason is...if as a coach you had got the help I suggest and were "close to Villa" and knew a few faces there......then got a real talent on your hands....who do you go to?

Also tickets, I read previously that the ticket system we have has ben descibed to you as best in class. I think they might be reffering to the system "desk side" at VP, which could be Ok. The system I was trying to describe (I think!!) is in place at Ajax in Amsterdam (nice place fo you to take the missus for a look) season ticket holders have an electronic credit card type device which gets them into all games. The stadium is also "cashless" with cards charged up with cedit at ATM style machines. (all the away fans end up with a small un-spendable amount left!!!! GREAT) Imagine the point of sale benefit the marketing guys could use this for i.e. we know the problem with reducing the ticket price to attract fans is it is great for bums on seats but annoys loyal season ticket holders...you could electronically give season ticket holders a merchandise credit.

Occasional fans can just call up and have a game credited to the card, no post, no delay. You could even have self service machines at the airport etc.

I know you are visiting around the ground, it would be great to see you in the Witton Upper oh alright...Doug Ellis Upper... at one of the games. It was built more shallow than planned because of planning issues, it really is desperate on busy games, not sure what can be done but most people I sit by just have a drink well before the game and then head upstairs, it is a nightmare just before or at half time. just seems a bit of a missed opportunity. There is a club room downstairs (Targett Suite) really is expensive though, close to doubles the cost of the season ticket just to get in. You don't seem to get anymore than going to the holte Suite (no food or drink inclued etc). Not sure how many you get in there but it would be packed if it were able to be accessed on the same terms as the Holte.

Have a great New Year, up the Villa.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. Use of a ticket/coach combination...let me look into that one. It would certainly help to resolve congestion issues on game day and may well get more fans to Villa Park. I continue to believe that the key to more fans is consistent winning on the pitch.

2. Richard Fitzgerald, Irish or not? I really don't know. I do know that he has lived in London for a long time...interrupted by some time in Cleveland. He is purchasing a home in B'ham so he can be close to Park and Training Ground. But, unfortunately, I do not know where his "roots" are.

3. My friend from Spain...we need to do something quick about that granddaughter in the L'pool kit. Get her over to a game and lets see what we can do to get her bleeding claret and blue.

4. Transfer Market. REST ASSURED, everyone is working this hard. When the window opens is not as important as what we look like when it closes. Believe me, we are working hard on this.

5. Everytime I go to Villa Park or to Bodymoor Heath, I discuss the issue of Youth...not only our Academy, but other possibilities for supporting Youth in our area. We are talking about balls, kits, places to play, etc. There is no question that the wider we throw our net into this "sea", the more chances we have of attracting new fans, and finding the occasional gold nugget. We will be extending our support to female teams also...not because we believe that we will have a female center-half playing for Villa but because it is good for the community and to girls/women who love the game like we do.

6. Cashless stadium. Obviously both Randy and I are very familiar with credit/debit cards that are wireless and conduct transactions through a receiver located at the entrance to a stadium, underground, etc. I agree that this is where we eventually need to go. Right now, we are probably a few years from that point. Why? Because of infrastructure costs and other associated costs to such a program.

Hi General and a very happy new year to you!

Was just wondering if there are any plans for an interview with Richard FitzGerald or an article by him for the Official Website in the next few days now he has started his contract with the club to explain some more about his background, plans, thoughts about the club and where/how he plans to add value to us etc as he will presumably be having a major role in our future, working with MON over the next few years.

Thanks,

Steve

Hiya General -- the requests come piling in don't they !!

At West Bromwich Albion ( The Baggies ) they have a swipe card season ticket system which must save a lot of time and hassle for fans at the turnstyles.

Don't know what the ROI is, but I think this would make for effienciencies and re-deployment of attendants ?

It shouldn't cost a great deal as the Baggies aren't exactly a wealthy club....

6. Cashless stadium. Obviously both Randy and I are very familiar with credit/debit cards that are wireless and conduct transactions through a receiver located at the entrance to a stadium, underground, etc. I agree that this is where we eventually need to go. Right now, we are probably a few years from that point. Why? Because of infrastructure costs and other associated costs to such a program.

Could it be possable to put in a few cashpoints around the ground? Might just be me, but many times i forget to get out cash, and its a bit of a walk to the closest. You can charge 1.50 for the privalage.

At West Bromwich Albion ( The Baggies ) they have a swipe card season ticket system which must save a lot of time and hassle for fans at the turnstyles.

Don't know what the ROI is, but I think this would make for effienciencies and re-deployment of attendants ?

Hi Tim, this isn't General Krulak :lol: but I gather there will be a trial of a swipe system in the Upper Holte next season. I might be wrong?

I continue to believe that the key to more fans is consistent winning on the pitch.

Agree 100%. Over the 3 years we had O'Leary, when things were going well (at the end of 2003/04 season) crowds were huge- 37,000 against Blackburn and Man City I think, over 40,000 against Newcastle and a sell out on the last day. That was because there was a push for Europe and we ended up finishing 6th. But, at the start of that season, we had a few crowds under 30,000 and attendances were probably worse than this season so far- we were in the bottom 3 in December 03, but by the end of the year our average attendance was 36,500, showing that when performances pick up, people come.

The year after that as well, we had out highest average attendance for 30 years (37,700) and no attendances below 30,000. This was due to a really good finish the year before, which got more S/T holders and the season itself wasn't too bad, finishing 10th.

We'll always have our core 25,000 fans whatever, but the next 5,000 that come down want to see a decent team, preferably against premiership opposition, and the next 5 thousand after that want to see a bit more quality etc etc. Basically, get Villa in the top 6 every year and crowds will knock 40,000 every match, as we managed 37,700 under doug and finishing 10th.

Oh and those swipe cards are crap- they all have 'em. Leeds, Man City, Blackburn, Arsenal, West Brom- they're a right waste of time, they broke down when i went to see Man City- Villa and at Arsenal in August it took ages for them to work. Stick to what we've got now- it works.

Could it be possable to put in a few cashpoints around the ground? Might just be me, but many times i forget to get out cash, and its a bit of a walk to the closest. You can charge 1.50 for the privalage.

Excellent point, there arent many cash machines locally either, so we'd be doing the local community a service.

There used to be a cash machine in the shop when i went in a few weeks ago to buy Christmas presents they told me it had been removed because it was always breaking down, very annoying to then have to drive round looking for a bank. Im glad somebody else has bought this up as i was meant to suggest it myself.

General Krulak here:

One of your great leaders at Villa Talk has been in contact with me re. an interview with Richard Fitzgerald. I sent him the questions today and asked him to reply to the questions after he took a few days to get set in his new job.

As I indicated, we will be looking at swipe cards...and atm capability.

Transfers....I hesitate to give you a timeline on this. My years with the Forces have taught me never to declare a timeline...it will only bite you in the bum

It also allows 50 year year old blokes to use an under 16's season ticket

It also allows 50 year year old blokes to use an under 16's season ticket

Presumably there would still be a steward at each "set" of three doors or so to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen? There has been every tmie I've been to the Hawthorns with my dad...

Yeah when Ive been to Man City there were still people checking your tickets, which sort of defeats the object of the system really, doesn't make it any quicker to get into the ground. Its a good idea for inside the ground though paying for food etc. And I guess its a good idea for the saving on postage and stuff if you just automatically get the game credited to your card, makes admin easier. Doesn't save on stewarding costs or anything like that though I'd have thought.

There are for away fans but not on all home gates- loads of my mates have got into the Hawthorns under U16 tickets.

I was referring to the home gates too. They have stewards checking the tickets. Admittedly this wouldnt save on stewarding staff, but if the ticket card also doubled up as your method for purchasing your beverages, getting your programme etc etc, out of vending machines or whatever, then surely time, money and hassel would be saved?

(Just for the record, I'm a Villa ST holder but my Dad's an Albion fan, so he takes me down sometimes. I know where my allegiances lie :winkold: )

these swipe card season tickets..wouldnt they have different audible beeps for above and below 16?

so that it will attract the stewards attention that an under 16 is coming through and usually a quick glance can determine if the ticket holder is under 16 followed up by a more thorough check if needed