General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General,

I'm interested to note that you've commented elsewhere that we're likely to have two different shirt sponsors for each of the next two seasons. Has the process of speaking to our potential suitors for the season after next already begun?

Not the easiest week for you on the sites this week General, but I've got to say, that picture of you in the Viking hat made my day! It's good to see you're still enjoying yourself.

What's your favourite memory of this season?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General. I know we are not supposed to use this thread for anything else but questions, but I couldn't resist celebrating this comment:

if I can cut a good deal with Richard Branson, I feel I am pretty good. Randy

Good on you, General, the Liverpool mob must be quaking in their boots! :thumb::flag:

Hi General - A question about replica shirts.

I have two sons aged 6 and 4 who are starting football classes for the summer term at school, naturally they (and I!) want to wear proper Villa shirts.

I've searched the net and phoned the Villa Direct store, there are no shirts for 4 year olds to be found anywhere (including training, home, away and 3rd) and the only shirt for a 6 year old includes shorts and socks and costs £30 when the bigger kids shirts are only £15! The 4 year old shirts have been sold out at least since February as I inquired for my son's birthday then. Villa Direct have explained that they will not be expecting any in stock because the kit will change in August.

Any idea of where I can get a reasonably priced 6 year old shirt or any villa shirt for a 4 year old? My wife is now threatening to 'just buy them a Chelsea or Man U shirt like all the other kids have' :shock: :( :shock:

Thanks

4. In ALL of this discussion about Barry and the Summer Transfer Season, I would ask that you go back a week or two and read the "stick" we took over season ticket prices (still among the VERY lowest in the Premiership) and the increase in revenue opportunity in the Trinity. PLEASE...we cannot have it both ways. We cannot expect to keep the great players and/or bring in new ones at the same revenue scale we have now. It doesn't work for the Chelseas and ManUs of the world and it won't work for us. Randy is definitely putting his money up...but even he can't do it all.

Absolutely. I think most of us appreciate this sentiment. Remember that it's always more likely to be the unhappy people that make their voices heard on these sorts of issues than those who think it is perfectly reasonable and get on with it. Keep up the good work!

General Krulak here:

5. I understand the concern about Liverpool and their actions...or percieved actions. I think that MON addressed this issue better than I could ever address it. I can assure you we are pursuing the issues raised by MON.

Thanks for the reply General. It's good to know the board are many steps ahead of the issues people question you about here.

Hi General,

Hope you are well and thanks for keeping up the good work.

Gareth Barry seems like the perfect example of how a professional should go about his work, on and off the pitch. The guy seems like a genuine family man and it would be a very very difficult decision for him to uproot a young family to move up north. This is the reason I believe that he would prefer to stay and lead Villa on to success at home and abroad. I am sure the club will give him an insight into what the future seems to hold for Aston Villa FC regarding transfers and funds etc. Therefore, if he does decide to leave, I feel this would give a very negative sign to the supporters of this club.

It will be very difficult for the fans to watch two heroes walk away at one season's end. Only the purchase of some real top quality players will ease the pain of the fans General!

A message from a teacher I know:

280 kids have had a fantastic day at Villa Park today, in a great tournament for Under 11's who had a fantastic time.

Please pass on to Joe, Alan and Nigel just how much of a difference to these kids it makes; playing on the pitch at Villa Park will be a day they won't forget in a hurry. Also pass on to Randy the thanks of the kids for the Villa home shirts handed out (by Gabriel Agbonlahor!) to each and every one of them completely free of charge at the end of the day. (All with a £35 price tag still attached)

General,

That's a wonderful gesture by the club and the kind of thing that I'm sure often goes unnoticed by the majority of us. There may be choppy waters between us and our destination, but the ship seems in very good shape indeed.

Hi General, quick question for yourself or anybody else who might know the answer - a couple of years back G. Barry was being linked with a move away from Villa Park, one of the reasons if I remember right why we didn't sell him was because a percentage of the fee received would have to be given to his previous club Brighton and Hove. Are you aware if such a clause still exists ?, and if Barry is sold and this clause exists - shouldn't we increase our asking price to compensate for this ?.

General, a few have commented on the refreshments in the Trinity Road; I too queued for beer for over twenty minutes thus missing around five or six minutes of the game.

I propose a plan; recently I visited the Allianz Arena to watch Bayern Munich. Before entering the ground visitors can buy a card which has various values, this is necessary to buy any type of refreshment and thus saves time in finding change, making the transaction and so forth. A card reader deducts the value from the card and at the end of the day you are reimbursed the difference of the card from the booth.

Secondly, at the Allianz there are specific outlets which cater for certain products whether that is beer, snacks or something more substantial. In essence it might be best to have a few outlets providing only beer. This would be prudent especially considering the fact that Villa Park should become much busier over the next years if we are to become a consistent football team.

General,

To add to what Yuen_Biao has suggested, the idea of the card is a great idea, my proposal would be to make it like an Oyster card that is used on London transport. For 25,000 ST holders this could be their ST card which they top up before hand, say £20 and this could last a few games. They are never going to turn up at a game without it and will always be able to buy a drink etc. if they have funds on there of course. This could be extended to the shop and all sorts of other revenue inlets associated with Villa Park (i.e. programmes) and the Club (City Centre Store).

The second point he makes is also a good one. I have been to the new Wembley a couple of times and they have this sort of system working a treat. It is also fair to say that if you want a good case study for beer dispensers, go to the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff, they have pumps which run off 30 beers a minute or something daft like that.

Hope this is useful

Tubster

General krulak here:

1. Timff: Please call John Greenfield (01213261507) and tell him I asked you to call. Tell him what you are looking for re. kids kit and see if he can help point you in the right direction.

2. Gareth Barry: Rockafella and others: As I have said before, I think we ought to let this one "play out." Everyone is talking as if he is gone...that it is all up to the negotiations at this time. Let's let MON and Gareth talk and reason before we all conclude that our Captain is out the door. None of us knows what is going to happen....so maybe the key right now is to let all the media calm down and let our Manager and Captain talk. Let me say a few things about Gareth: I really don't know him well at all but....I do know how the Mangers and Coaches view him . He is a very good person...aside from a good player. He is considerate of others, a role model for how players should act (on and off the field) and a leader for our Squad. I hope and pray that he remains with us...but we need to wait and see.

3. outbyeaster: It was a great day for almost 300 kids at Villa Park...and yes, shirts for all. I guess we could/should "blow our own horn" about such events but, as you have seen, that is not really our style now. As Randy continually reminds us, "Actions speak louder than words." "Good deeds will be recognized...and are most enjoyed when done without fanfare."

Gen

Come on to my point in the minute - but I wanted to comment about Gareths personality. About 7 yrs ago I went to a concert and Gareth, Lee Hendrie (now Sheff U) and Darren Byfield (last I saw he was at Bristol City) were there. Hendrie, as you may already know, was an eejit, a troublemaker and a prize prat (think I am allowed to say it - it's been said many a time before). That night, Hendrie and Barry were idiots, having to be told by security staff to behave or they were out. Funnily enough, the next Saturday, Barry was dropped by John Gregory.

Now Lee Hendrie went on to waste his career as many know (having been in the England squad long before Gareth) - looking now, it's good to see Gareth grew up and became a model pro - something he should be passing onto youngsters I reckon.

Anyway - a personal suggestion. I've said on here about the film "Fever Pitch". During the close season watch it !!. I'm sure you get bored in business class sipping champagne and look for things to do !!. Honestly, watch the film and you'll love it - sums up all emotions about supporting a football club through thick and thin (true story about the year Arsenal won the league in the lsat second of the season). Gives the immortal line (excuse the french) "Is my life shit because Arsenal are shit - or is it the other way round"

See you in August - or July depending on Sun.

Hi General

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but has the club thought about playing youth team games - or even a woman's football team - on matchday at Villa Park? Would this be viable in terms of the pitch and/or revenue?

General,

Has Liverpool's actions in the last few weeks put you off doing any business with them? the words 'pig' and 'mud' come to mind. Very much a quick question, keep up the fantastic work with the club off the pitch, in my opinion running the club to such a standard (and with fantastic morals) is equal to the players and the team in terms of moving this club forward.

3. outbyeaster: It was a great day for almost 300 kids at Villa Park...and yes, shirts for all. I guess we could/should "blow our own horn" about such events but, as you have seen, that is not really our style now. As Randy continually reminds us, "Actions speak louder than words." "Good deeds will be recognized...and are most enjoyed when done without fanfare."

Unbelievable.

Such a good response general.

Im sure if a team like Tottenham or Liverpool did such a thing it would be splashed across the press like they were heroes.

I love where AVFC is going. Your constant attempt to attract/make new fans and intergrate the community with the football club is superb.

Your leadership of my club is so good general with all the things happening on and off the pitch. Its such a change from the past. A lot of friends at work take the piss outa me screaming 'USA!, USA!' as if it is an insult. They merely take the Gillet and Hicks farce to be a given for our club and that Americans havent got any idea how to run a club. But you sir are a hero. Im looking forward to the transfer window this summer as i feel this is where AVFC will really move to a new level. Next season is very exciting with You, Randy and Martin in charge.

All the best

UpTheVilla

GENERAL just want to say what ever happens Sunday that this has been the best season that i can remember in years and just want thank yourself and Randy. Also think the Seanson ticket to pay for drinks etc is a great idea. Just gave up trying to get any food last week against Wigan

General, RE: Reducing waiting time for beverages

May seem like a very simple idea, so i apologise if it's been discussed already but have you considered implementing vending machines?

I don't know the logistics of having these in areas where thousands of people will be milling about but i'm sure they'd go some way to reducing waiting times. A lot of bars in brum have implemented beer bottle (would obviously have to be plastic) vending machines to great success. I'm sure they'd be useful as they can be positioned anywhere in the ground, thus diverting the massive crowds at the bar etc.

Anyway, just my two cents. Keep up the good work general, I've never been so proud to be a Villa fan as I have in the last two years, and that's not just down to on the pitch performance!

Anyway - a personal suggestion. I've said on here about the film "Fever Pitch". During the close season watch it !!. I'm sure you get bored in business class sipping champagne and look for things to do !!. Honestly, watch the film and you'll love it - sums up all emotions about supporting a football club through thick and thin (true story about the year Arsenal won the league in the lsat second of the season). Gives the immortal line (excuse the french) "Is my life shit because Arsenal are shit - or is it the other way round"

Have to agree General, if you havent seen Fever Pitch watch in the close season, then pass the copy onto Randy......good film

General,

Just to say a quick Hello. Hey you get so many questions, rants, and stuff thrown at you I just wanted to say hi and hope you and Mrs Krulak are doing well. and yes Im having a good week off work!

Keep up the good work big man, and my best wishes to Randy, Martin and everyone at VP!

Stewie

General, RE: Reducing waiting time for beverages

May seem like a very simple idea, so i apologise if it's been discussed already but have you considered implementing vending machines?

I don't know the logistics of having these in areas where thousands of people will be milling about but i'm sure they'd go some way to reducing waiting times. A lot of bars in brum have implemented beer bottle (would obviously have to be plastic) vending machines to great success. I'm sure they'd be useful as they can be positioned anywhere in the ground, thus diverting the massive crowds at the bar etc.

Anyway, just my two cents. Keep up the good work general, I've never been so proud to be a Villa fan as I have in the last two years, and that's not just down to on the pitch performance!

Sorry to answer the question on behalf of the General, but as I work in the business I may be able to offer an explanation. The use of vending machines for alchohol is dependant on a check on a persons age prior to entering the premises. At VP this cannot be done, so I'm afraid your idea is a non starter. It would be better if we could get better staff in my opinion.