General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

We've got a good manager, where as last season we had an absolutely awful one. Under even a mediocre manager last season we would not have been in a relegation fight.

I wish I had your optimism! :)

As someone pointed out, lambert spent three years building norwhich up, starting at the lower leagues.

At villa hes had alot less time and there has been a resonable overhaul, alot of things can go wrong. Players might not adjust etc!

Last season I thought there was a bit too much complacency in some players, im sure Lambert wont let that slide now, but the squad is thin and unfortunatley he cant clap his hands to summon more players to replace them.

There has been signs of imrpovement in the pre season games, but is it enough? the other teams will improve aswell!

Pretty hard to prove that 'Mantis.'

If you consider the same circumstances, injury to Bent, Gabby out of sorts due again to injury or otherwise then we would still have struggled to score goals. Couple that with Petrov's illness, i tend to think, even with a better manager we still would have struggled badly and probably finished in a similar position.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a good manager, where as last season we had an absolutely awful one. Under even a mediocre manager last season we would not have been in a relegation fight.

I wish I had your optimism! :)

As someone pointed out, lambert spent three years building norwhich up, starting at the lower leagues.

At villa hes had alot less time and there has been a resonable overhaul, alot of things can go wrong. Players might not adjust etc!

Last season I thought there was a bit too much complacency in some players, im sure Lambert wont let that slide now, but the squad is thin and unfortunatley he cant clap his hands to summon more players to replace them.

There has been signs of imrpovement in the pre season games, but is it enough? the other teams will improve aswell!

I'm just being realistic. At the moment we have a midtable (8th-14th) squad. Lambert is a good manager and I'm confident he can get us around 9th-11th. Don't let McLeish affect you too much. Most managers would've had us mid-table mediocrity last seaosn. The squad isn't great but it isn't terrible either.

Really don't think your being realistic here at all considering where we finished last season. Has our squad improved quality wise since Lambert been here? I certainly don't think so and neither do the vast majority of VT who are still waiting on that quality coming in. Consequently we do not have a mid table squad at the moment as it hasn't changed much from last season. Our squad at the moment is where it finished last season and whether we have a better manager hasn't yet been proven either. I would certainly hope Lambert is better but we'll find that out soon enough!

Pretty hard to prove that 'Mantis.'

If you consider the same circumstances, injury to Bent, Gabby out of sorts due again to injury or otherwise then we would still have struggled to score goals. Couple that with Petrov's illness, i tend to think, even with a better manager we still would have struggled badly and probably finished in a similar position.

Under a mediocre or even poor manager Bent would have scored a lot more than he did (e.g. like he did under Bruce at Sunderland). Bent's injury and Petrov's illness came as a massive blow but both of them were towards the end of the season. Any competent manager would have amassed enough points by then to see us through to the end of the season comfortably. Not saying we would've finished top half, but definitely a fair bit higher than where we finished under McLoser.

Really don't think your being realistic here at all considering where we finished last season. Has our squad improved quality wise since Lambert been here? I certainly don't think so and neither do the vast majority of VT who are still waiting on that quality coming in. Consequently we do not have a mid table squad at the moment as it hasn't changed much from last season. Our squad at the moment is where it finished last season and whether we have a better manager hasn't yet been proven either. I would certainly hope Lambert is better but we'll find that out soon enough!
Where we finished last season was in large part down to having one of the worst Premier League managers in history. Not entirely, but he was a large part of that.

Yes, I think the squad has improved, albeit not by a great deal. The only real loss was Cuellar, and we've brought in Vlaar since. We've also added a few more on top of that. It's not great, but as I said it isn't terrible either. Obviously we still need more players to come in but even now the squad isn't one that will be scraping relegation under a manager like Lambert.

Our squad wasn't bottom 5 last season and it certainly isn't this season. Are you trying to say that McLeish did a fair job?

Of course Lambert is a better manager. He finished above us last season with a poorer squad. Can't believe this is even up for debate. Anyone is better than McLeish FFS.

After this afternoon's performance against Bremen it showed how much we need a good LB and RB.

Also need a tricky wide player, both N'Zogbia and Holmann were quiet today (but not as bad as some are making out on the match thread)

Morpheus, our squad might not be up to the level of quality that we want, but it has definately been improved so far.

Vlaar > Dunne, Collins or Cuellar IMO

Lowton > Hutton

El Ahmadi is proving grit in midfield that we've lacked since Milner left.

IMO, of course

Having read various views it seems there is a general consensus that a LB is priority. I have no doubt lambert has someone lined up for this. But after that appointment where does our priorities lie??

Another CB?or wait for dunne?

Another winger?

A DM destroyer?

A striker?

So many question marks, wish it were 2 questions shorter than the current predicament but I have faith in lambert

We have more chance of signing Makepeace than Dempsey

Just let it go chaps

Yep, Dempsey will want to go to a Sky 4 club or Man City/Spurs, and he'll want a huge pay raise....he ain't coming to Villa

Having read various views it seems there is a general consensus that a LB is priority. I have no doubt lambert has someone lined up for this. But after that appointment where does our priorities lie??

Another winger?

A DM destroyer?

A striker?

So many question marks, wish it were 2 questions shorter than the current predicament but I have faith in lambert

I think PL will get the required parts in time...we're not going to be relegated this year, and the style of play will be much nicer...I'm worry free at this point...I know there will be some bumps on the road, but I'm going to sit back and actually enjoy the football this year

Another winger?

A DM destroyer?

A striker?

I think PL will get the required parts in time...we're not going to be relegated this year, and the style of play will be much nicer...I'm worry free at this point...I know there will be some bumps on the road, but I'm going to sit back and actually enjoy the football this year

I think the sales of hutton and warnock are the springboard for avfc to push on for further signings! Lambert must have his targets lined up, I do belive come end of transfer window we will be satisfied with the signings

We need a LB another DM (yes another) and a partner for Bent. It sucks that Weimann and Delphonso havent stepped it up but we have to live with the reality I am afraid.

I hardly think Weimann has been given a chance yet

I'd have NRC back tbh if the wages were sensible ie. 25k a week max

Agreed. Have him protect the back 4 and free up the likes of Bannan, KEA, and Ireland to push forward.

Plus that will free up more funds for more pressing areas, like a LB and ST.