General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Mind you, concerning Sturridge.

I think we're missing a potent threat up front. Bent is a selfish striker, just in a different more direct way. We need more than one.

We need someone who looks threatening and takes the game to defenders, driving them on to the back foot and pushing through. N'Zogbia can be this player but so far he's looked indecisive at the crunch moment and marching to a different beat to his team mates.

Whether Daniel Sturridge is this player or not is a different matter, but he's scored two goals in two games in the Olympics and looks to be self-confident with a direct game plan.

I could see Bent becoming frustrated with him, Sturridge seems to have the blinkers on too much and doesn't look to make a simple pass across to someone in a lethal position. Which, you could bet your house on Bent would consistently be in, waiting for an easy pass for an easy tap in that may not come.

But Sturridge is young and has time to learn. Maybe playing with someone like Bent would open his eyes because I've seen (I'm sure you have too) the fuss Bent makes, and rightly so, when someone has not made that easy pass for an easy tap in to him.

This could either lead to an explosive partnership that works or doesn't, we don't know yet. But if they can keep both their egos in check. I like the idea of watching Sturridge homing in to the danger area, the ball at his feet, defenders panicking that he's getting nearer and nearer to the goal, and as they try to smother him, suddenly he switches play, rolling it over to the cerebral assassin known as Darren Bent, who's been keeping up with play, himself zoning in on the six yard box, to tap it in to the net.

Basically, yes Sturridge is a selfish player but he's an exciting player.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Lambert could also be the manager to change his ways. I mean Lambert has got ol' Dunne excited about playing pass and move and he actually did that in pre-season. If he can get one of the primary hoofers to actually pass then he can get Sturridge to pass more.

I think Lambert could also be the manager to change his ways. I mean Lambert has got ol' Dunne excited about playing pass and move and he actually did that in pre-season. If he can get one of the primary hoofers to actually pass then he can get Sturridge to pass more.

Very true. Can imagine Lambert giving Sturridge some grounding in the right way too, similar to how he told Dunne he needed to lose weight.

I think we're missing a potent threat up front. Bent is a selfish striker, just in a different more direct way. We need more than one.

We need someone who looks threatening and takes the game to defenders, driving them on to the back foot and pushing through. N'Zogbia can be this player but so far he's looked indecisive at the crunch moment and marching to a different beat to his team mates.

You literally just described Clint Dempsey. Him and Bent would compliment eachother so well.

You literally just described Clint Dempsey. Him and Bent would compliment eachother so well.

Do you think we could attract him over Liverpool?

Dempsey is a great player and there are others in a similar style

Do you think we could attract him over Liverpool?

Dempsey is a great player and there are others in a similar style

American owner and two fellow internationals might sway him. I could see Eric and Brad trying to convince him to sign for us saying that Lambert is a great manager etc. The Liverpool rumors have been going for weeks and I don't know if it will happen.

I would have like to have seen Heskey and Bent upfront to see how that would have worked. Too late now

:shock:

I like Adam Johnson but I would rather we continue looking for value for money abroad than blowing most the kitty on one player. As for Sturridge. Gotta be one of the most selfish players I've ever seen.

This.

When I hear fans saying we should sign A Johnson, Carroll, Sturridge etc…it makes me ill.

We do not need to blow money on overrated Premiership players.

Selfish isn't always a negative when it comes to strikers. I don't mind a selfish striker. All of them should be to some degree. We've got one of the most selfish strikers in the league at the moment. I like to think a striker's selfishness is often relative to his ability to finish i.e. he thinks he can do it better than the guy he could pass it to.

Yes a striker has to be selfish - being a striker is all about instinct and taking your opportunity even when it is only a split second.

Heskey was the most unselfish striker in English football history and look how many goals that led to.

Sturridge is for the most part selfish in the good way - he is a good finisher who can also make chances for himself. That makes him a top player in my book. Added to the fact he is a Villa fan I would be doing everything I could if there was even a remote chance of getting him.

I think people call him selfish because he sometimes overplays it and tries to do to much in the same way that N'Zogbia often does.

For me this is just poor decision making rather than being selfish. But you have to remember that he has had, what, 2 seasons as a regular starter, if that. Good football judgement comes with experience and he has plenty of time to develop that side of his game.

Giggs had a terrible football brain when he started - all the ability in the world but how many times would he skin his man and then whip it in without even looking to see if there was anyone in the box. Now the man is an Einstein of top level football intelligence.

Extreme example but it shows my point.

The thing is with Sturridge, Is at times he shows signs of brilliance (chipping the keeper), and at times he just looks shit (panicky on the ball, first poor touch, spoons a shot way over, misplaces a pass) - I've seen him do all the things listed at the Olympics alone.

I've never watched Sturridge play and thought 'wow'

Why people go on about him like he's some sort of top drawer striker is beyond me

Plus he's always got a face on him like a slapped arse