Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

Just a spot of pedantry: I'm assuming his name is pronounced 'El Akh-madi', with that 'kh' sound that you only seem to hear in Arabic, Irish and when someone is clearing their throat?

ed: or in German ('ich' etc.)

Just a spot of pedantry: I'm assuming his name is pronounced 'El Akh-madi', with that 'kh' sound that you only seem to hear in Arabic, Irish and when someone is clearing their throat?

The OS has an AVTV preview where he pronounces his name (in a fairly anglicised way, like El Aaamaddy or something)

Arabic has about ten different H sounds, each one a different way of clearing phlegm from the throat, mouth, larynx, etc.

Yeah his name will be pronounced 'Akh-madi' unless David Pleat says it.

Well it depends where you are in Germany. Most in the NE will say Ich with a hard 'k' sound, but elswhere they'll pronounce it 'Isch'.

Yeah his name will be pronounced 'Akh-madi' unless David Pleat says it.

Well it depends where you are in Germany. Most in the NE will say Ich with a hard 'k' sound, but elswhere they'll pronounce it 'Isch'.

Before tying yourself in knots trying to pronounce it like an Arabic scholar, I recommend listening to the clip on the OS where he says it himself.

Of course he is.

And yes, every Thursday night I am an Arabic scholar...

Pronounce it how you want, I doubt you'll be in the Casbah going over the finer points with a sheesha pipe. [/stereotype]

every Thursday night I am an Arabic scholar...
Well good for you on that front, however I doubt they give lessons in how best to pronounce the surnames of Dutch-football-players-of-Moroccan-descent-playing-in-England-for-English-football-clubs :)

Out of interest, why Arabic, when you live in Turkey?

every Thursday night I am an Arabic scholar...
Well good for you on that front, however I doubt they give lessons in how best to pronounce the surnames of Dutch-football-players-of-Moroccan-descent-playing-in-England-for-English-football-clubs :)

Out of interest, why Arabic, when you live in Turkey?

Yeah well it was free...but enjoyable. It's only a small taster course, although I still need to master Turkish before even contemplating another language.

311534_432294996814575_42717333_n.jpg

Looks a bit like a dodgy used car salesman, but if he knows how to get that lemon that is the Aston Villa midfield up and purring he'll be a great acquisition...

One huge bonus is that he speaks English as well, like most Dutch do pretty well since learning it from an early age. Hope he will be a bit like de Jong, doing a lot of dirty work and making teams afraid of playing against us.

Â