Your best ever Villa signing

villanfromluton

Being 22, I didn't really get to see or appreciate McGrath.

I'd say it has to be either Yorke or Barry.

But Downing has to be given a mention too- £12m, 2 seasons, helped us get to Wembley twice, player of the season then £8m profit 2 years later. Sounds pretty good when you put it like that!

Ignoring resale value, Laursen? £3m quid and one of the best defenders I've ever seen.

I agree with all the comments about those from the Saunders' eara but for me the one that has made the greatest single impact is Bent - without his signing we'd have been relegated last season.

Not the best player and not my favourite player but I dread to think where we'd be now without that signing and the immediate payback it gave us.

Dion Dublin

Luc Nilis*

Paul Merson

Olof Mellberg

Martin Laursen

Ashley Young

Darren Bent**

* Had he not broke his leg, he would have been a Villa legend

** Single handedly saved us from relegation last year

Agree with the above on DB9, doesn't matter how big the fee was when it saves us from relegation. Barry would be number 1 though when you take into account fee paid, fee received, games played and quality of the performance in those games.

Honorable mention for Dalian Atkinson. Remember him signing from Real Sociedad for just over a mil. Him and deano were a great partnership. Still dont know why we offloaded the pair to turkey when they had another couple of seasons in them when we were at a stage of pushing for pl titles. Maybe it was his lisp

It depends how we are judging it....we all love god and obvioulsy he is one of greatest signings....but it could be looked at value for money, or profit made from the sale etc....Yorke and Barry must be high up that list...

Without doubt the Collymore signing was the most exciting signing we ever made, like AVFCLEE says.

He was like a padded wonder bra after a night at the student union, a Massive disappointment after the unveiling.

1. Paul McGrath

2 Allan Evans

3 "Jimmeh! Jimmeh!" (Rimmer for the uninitiated)

4 Sid

Sid, you almost got me there V-R then I to recalled being happy about his return to VP, although by then it was to a team on the decline. Oh what should have been!

Most of the ones I thought of have already been mentioned. SGT mrk 1 signed McGrath, Platt and Yorke. Arguably the last 3 world class players we've had down VP.

I'd give an honourable mention to Gareth Southgate. £2.5m from Crystal Palace. Moved to centre back by Sir Brian, and went from average midfielder to one of the best defenders in the country. Shame it ended so badly with his move to Boro, or I think he'd be held in much higher regard.

Â