Your best ever Villa signing

villanfromluton

Juan Pablo Angel.

South American, long hair with alice band, 8 figure club record fee.

Our first (and maybe last) foray into exotic signings - thought we were finally catching up with Utd/Arse etc. with that signing.

Juan Pablo Angel.

Our first (and maybe last) foray into exotic signings - thought we were finally catching up with Utd/Arse etc. with that signing.

Yeah too bad, we got the wrong Colombian, should have held out for Falcao ;)

Juan Pablo Angel.

I gotta agree with this one!

it has to be Bent! was very excited with that signing but i remember when we signed Carbone i bought my very 1st own villa top that year 1999 i think and had his name on the back! couldn't believe he left after 1 season to go to Bradford City though! other then those 2 i remember being excited about Angel, Baros, Collymore and a weird one was Joachim no idea but i thought he was going to be brilliant

In reverse order

3. Savo - based on level of excitement. Remember going to West Brom for friendly and half the away end sporting Claret and Blue bandanas (I had one and I was 25 at the time)

2. Yorke - Cost £10k, sold for £12m and still the most naturally gifted footballer I've seen in my 35 years at VP

1. GOD - Nothing else needs to be said.

I'd give an honourable mention to Gareth Southgate. £2.5m from Crystal Palace. Moved to centre back by Sir Brian, and went from average midfielder to one of the best defenders in the country. Shame it ended so badly with his move to Boro, or I think he'd be held in much higher regard.
Definitely agree with that.

I enjoyed the signings of Steve Hunt because I felt he was what Villa were lacking at the time. Darren Bent was a cracking, excitement builder of a signing. Mark Draper, Stan Collywobbles and Nii Lamptey. Lamptey was described to us by Ron Atkinson as the new Maradonna. More like the balti pie eating munter who lives next door to me!!

I've never been as excited by a signing as I was by Bent. I think he's going to be immense for us this season. Our best value for money signings in my time have been McGrath, Yorke, and Barry. Most astute signing (but mostly because of the moving him to central midfield idea) was probably James Milner.

(Honourable mention to Enda Stevens, who single-handedly made my name understandable to everyone in VP.)

There have been so many.

Some qualify because of their relatively small transfer fee and some because of their sell on fee and some for both.

But just based solely on talent, and unfortunately we did not get to experience it for very long, for me it has to be Luc Nilis.

Nice to see varying comments from various ages, think I have been through a few ages, remember getting Ian Ross from Liverpool in 71/72, Leighton Phillips in 74/75 was a good signing, Des Bremner certainly was as was Sir Dennis, Tony Morley and Peter Withe. More modern times, totally agree with Dean Saunders, made a massive impact, and as for Paul McGrath, could not dispute that at all

Favourite would definitely be Bent. Two fingers up to the Sky world - they did had their reporter up at Blunderland's training ground practically begging for other clubs to come in for him.

Then he basically kept us up.

Loved it.

Favourite would definitely be Bent. Two fingers up to the Sky world - they did had their reporter up at Blunderland's training ground practically begging for other clubs to come in for him.

Then he basically kept us up.

Loved it.

Anyone remember this piece of trash?

I love how in that game Bent scored pretty much the first chance he got where as Dzeko was missing sitters left right and centre. :lol:

Macca 252 appearances over 7 years & I don't recall him putting a foot wrong (on the pitch)

The guy was mesmerising to watch

I'd put Gareth Barry as a close second

Â