Your best ever Villa signing

villanfromluton

You can view it in whatever way you want, monetary value or impact on the playing field. Who would you say in your time of following the club has been the best signing.. Some examples may be Sir Dennis Mortimer from Coventry for £175,000 at xmas 1975, Ashley Young recently with the money he made. How about Jimmy Rimmer for £40,000 or David Platt from Crewe for £200k approx? However my best signing would be Peter Withe. When we signed him I thought WTF is Saunders doing, journeyman centre forward. What a massive player he was and was the final piece in the jigsaw. Any views?

John, Bruce Rioch was my first Villa idol, first kit was the yellow away shirt with blue collar with number 4 on back, 72/73 I think. Loved Andy Gray, what a great header of a ball. Saw Andy Lochhead a few times in old 3rd division days, hard as nails, harder than George Curtis not though :D . Saunders was a great player for big Rons team, shame Dalian Atkinson didnt have the attitude to fulfill his undoubted talent.

Alan Hutton.................Bwawawawawa

Too many to name just one Luton, honestly I still love the teams of 77 and 81 so to all of those players add the likes of God, Platt, Yorke, Deano, Young, Milner, Merson plus many other and I'd find it hard to pick just one that we signed however the most exciting Villa player that I ever saw was one of our own Brian Little.

I'll never forget that night against QPR in the LC semi or that 119th minute against Everton at the 3rd attempt in 77, nor will I forget that night at VP against Liverpool although they were all magnificent that night.

Also for me it's no surprise that he managed the last Villa team to win something and play entertaining football.

Has to be Macca!

But I loved watching Yorkie, great affinity with the club just unfortunate the way he left. But brought for peanuts and sold for good money.

Have to agree with the above poster around Barry as well

Deano was the fastest to pay off! Remember Mark Walters playing in red (well green) and THE miss!

I know someone out there has done this research, which team do you think has provided the most in numbers of successful signings in recent history?

Celtic, with Rambo and Stan, or Newcastle, with Solano and Milner...

Oh Alan Wright, don't know why I just didnt like him and was so glad when he was no longer with us. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I always groaned when his name was on the starting list.

Oh Alan Wright, don't know why I just didnt like him and was so glad when he was no longer with us. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I always groaned when his name was on the starting list.

Totally agree Nick. Good for a couple of seasons, but then stopped attacking, which is pretty pointless when playing a 5-3-2.

Best signing - God. Mods that's the only answer, this can be locked now. :winkold:

I am probably in a minority here, but although Paul McGrath was undoubtably a great player for us, I dont think he was our best. I will go with the OP & it`s Sr Dennis of Mortimer for me.

I think you could make a good argument for Peter Withe - the final piece of a jigsaw, or for the year before, Tony Morley and Des Bremner who filled gaps in a side that was struggling a bit and made that jigsaw almost complete. Alan Evans likewise. Kenny Swain perhaps too.

in more recent times, God, Dwight Yorke and Gareth Barry.

I think you could make a good argument for Peter Withe - the final piece of a jigsaw, or for the year before, Tony Morley and Des Bremner who filled gaps in a side that was struggling a bit and made that jigsaw almost complete. Alan Evans likewise. Kenny Swain perhaps too.

in more recent times, God, Dwight Yorke and Gareth Barry.

Good point Blandy, I would also add " a Jimmy Rimmer as a goalie" to your list

Being quite young at the time the best signing for me was Stanley Victor Collymore. I remember him parading around VP in the Sky Blue AST Computers away kit (one of my fav Villa strips of recent times). Its probably the best feeling I've had when unveiling a signing. A superstar striker joining his boyhood heroes, a fair amount of money paid and the grand unveiling at VP. Everything seemed perfect to me..... didn't quite work out as planned though did it!

Personally if you go on amount paid and impact you have 3 that stick out for me..

Dwight Yorke, cost like £50,000 or something, went on to become world class...love him or hate him now he was brilliant.

David Platt, £200,000, 4 years later he's sold for £5.5 million after again being world class, and to think Graham Taylor HATED paying 200,000 for him!

Paul Mcgrath, career was "over" apparently...what was it? £400,000?, I dont even need to say anything more about him.

OTHERS - Deano, great impact...just needed another 5 or so goals a season though for me, Shaun Teale - absolute bargain and him and God formed a great partnership. Ian Taylor - part of a swap deal and turned out a legend.

Â