Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

There are 2.25 million players in England

Spain have 408,134 players,

So our potential talent pool of players is 5 times larger than that of Spain? :shock: :|

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scholes should have been on the plane! He's the only player that is capable of doing what Pirlo did tonight.

i think i disagree

for as much as i like scholes and for as good as he is i dont think there is any english player, not now maybe not ever that can do what pirlo can do

we can speed games up and stretch games, he can slow games down and then pick the passes

english midfielders get better the quicker tha game goes, IMO hes the opposite

I want to know what the deal with Richards is. There has to be something we are not seeing if Fabio and Woy both refuse to select him. There are constant rumours that he has an attitude problem and ignores coaches advice on the pitch (I dont watch City enough to make a call there) and like Carrick he said he was unavailable for selection if he was only going to be on the standby list, with some of the blogs saying he accused England of being disrespectful because Stuart Pearce told him who was in the squad instead of Roy Hodgson. That kind of stuff works against your international career.

He doesnt start regularly for City either. Zabaleta played the big games last season and also most of the run-in

So our potential talent pool of players is 5 times larger than that of Spain? :shock: :|

Doesn't mean much. I wonder how many players China have?

We need change at the grass roots.

I think it is very strange Adam Johnson was not included in this squad. I might oversee the fact that he was injured or something, but he did not play much for City and should have been fresh compared to many of the others. He CLEARLY has that international flair about him, being able to dribble down and deliver both shots and crosses. A bit like Robben at times, and he can switch inside and curl it into the corner. Not being able to play for City every week is not something against his ability, they have world-class players all over. Another thing about him is that he does stuff without looking nervous about the game, he plays his game no matter what and could have given a much better impact than Oxlade-Chamberlain or Walcott (who is way too unstable for my liking). Micah Richards? Very strong and fast, could create some pace down the right side compared to Glen Johnson who is limited IMO.

I would have played:

Hart

Richards - Terry - Lescott - Cole

Johnson - Milner - Gerrard - Parker - Young

Rooney

Milner working his ass off, getting Gerrard dynamic behind Rooney and then much more action on the wings.

I want to know what the deal with Richards is. There has to be something we are not seeing if Fabio and Woy both refuse to select him. There are constant rumours that he has an attitude problem and ignores coaches advice on the pitch (I dont watch City enough to make a call there) and like Carrick he said he was unavailable for selection if he was only going to be on the standby list, with some of the blogs saying he accused England of being disrespectful because Stuart Pearce told him who was in the squad instead of Roy Hodgson. That kind of stuff works against your international career.

the old arguement was that his positional sense was awful and he used his power/speed to be a constant state of recovering

personally i had a theory that city always looked shit when they chose zabeleta over him (CL games for example)

but glen johnson getting picked despite being absolutely **** awful is nothing new, henry winter tweeted at half time he was one of our best players, must have watched a different game to me i thought he was shocking

Don't quite understand the overhyping of the Italians. For all the ball they had they created one clear cut chance which De Rossi volleyed wide. Wellbeck and Johnson both had good chances in the first half. I don't think this Italian side is much better than England. Fully expect the Germans to contest a good final with either of Portugal or Spain. Actually quite fancy the Portugese now. An on form Ronaldo (clearly the player of the tournament this far) could for me be the difference in a tournament which has been low on defensive talent.

Dunno. The Population of Spain is 47m and England is 51m so we should have similar pools of talent available to us. It might be more to do with how we register our players, even if you are 35 years old and play Sunday league for some pub's reserve team in the 5th division of your town you are still a registered footballer. It might not work like that in Spain, which I guess might make my earlier comment about ratios moot. The point remains we have not invested in the grass roots when all of our rivals have and that is why we do not have the players that other countries have. It's not just the first team either, it's the strength in depth. De Gea is first choice for Manchester United, he struggles to get on the bench for Spain. Arteta has been one of the best players in the Premier League for the past five years, he remains uncapped by Spain. We have a handful of really good players but we are **** when they are injured, suspended or out of form. We are so utterly reliant on one or two individuals it's embarrassing.

England don't have the players and they definitely don't have the manager.

for the 1st time in a long time im gonna say the players are more of a problem than the manager, roy didnt do a lot wrong IMO

He's horribly limited IMO, not a manager who should be working at the so called top of the game IMO.

Don't quite understand the overhyping of the Italians

Isn't that what puts England in perspective?

Ye but nobody expected us to win the tournament anyway. I just don't buy that Italy were that much better than us tonight. You can quote stats all you want but out of the 30 odd shots Italy had, aroung 20 were Cassano/Balotelli cutting inside and shooting from 30 odd yards out. Italy lacked creativity as much as England did and thats why the game went to penalties. Portugal, Spain and Germany have shown far more in the tournament than both sides tonight and thats why two of those three will be in the final next week.

Â