Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see england fans are happily getting ahead of themselves for a change, we've gone from being the worst team in the tournament playing boring football to the germans being overrated and beatable in the semis in the space of a week

falling in to our old pitfalls, was much more enjoyable when everybody believed we were as shit as we are

We have never beaten a major footballing nation in the knock out phase of a competition other than at Wembley.

Please tell me that this stat is incorrect :(

We have never beaten a major footballing nation in the knock out phase of a competition other than at Wembley.

Well it depends what you class as a major footballing nation.

Secondly remember the Euros only had 8 teams before 1996 and 4 teams in the 60s and 70s.

And also the stat has too many permutations, 3 of them. knock out phase, top footballing nation and away from Wembley. England have beaten top footballing nations in tournaments, so not too shocking.

Gotta love those Germans. Much as some (most?) of us hate them, you have to admire the fact that time after time there they are in the semis or final of yet another tournament. How do they do it? Well as a footballing nation we'd do well to find out.

BTW, isn't it weird that even the players that aren't technically German, still look it? Well, Izal excepted. :nod:

BTW, isn't it weird that even the players that aren't technically German, still look it? Well, Izal excepted. :nod:

this old chestnut!

out of the current squad only 2 players were born outside of germany, podolski and klose, podolski was born in gliwice, klose in opole, both in silesia, an area that was part of the original germany (i think) and over the last 100 years has chopped and changed from german to polish, meaning that depending on when their grandparents / parents were born they could have been german or polish

khedira, gomez, have one foreign parent, ozil has foreign grand parents

its a bit of a myth that the german national team is made up of foreigners

this old chestnut!

out of the current squad only 2 players were born outside of germany, podolski and klose, podolski was born in gliwice, klose in opole, both in silesia, an area that was part of the original germany (i think) and over the last 100 years has chopped and changed from german to polish, meaning that depending on when their grandparents / parents were born they could have been german or polish

khedira, gomez, have one foreign parent, ozil has foreign grand parents

its a bit of a myth that the german national team is made up of foreigners

Pedantically only two players in the squad were born in Germany. Two were born in Poland. The rest of the **** are divided between East Germany and West Germany as they were all born before reunification. ;)

footballing heavyweight ;)

France will try and stagnate Spain tonight

Seems to be a worrying pandemic in football since that Chelsea game

Chelsea aside, how often does it work though? Not many times. The Czechs and Greeks tried to and both deservedly lost

France will try and stagnate Spain tonight

Seems to be a worrying pandemic in football since that Chelsea game

You think that has started happening since the Chelsea game? Have you only been following football for the last few weeks?

Â