Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

France will try and stagnate Spain tonight

Seems to be a worrying pandemic in football since that Chelsea game

Chelsea aside, how often does it work though? Not many times. The Czechs and Greeks tried to and both deservedly lost

We did it v France the other day

I'm not saying it hasn't been happening for years, just that it's vogue right now with managers thanks to Chelsea's flukey win

Or rather Bayern throwing it away, thanks Robben Gomez & Ribery you Twunts

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams have been playing like that against Spain for a while now, just as many do against Barcelona. I think it's been more 'vogue' since Inter's win over Barcelona in 2010, rather than something that's become a popular choice more recently. In terms of the Euros, I think there has actually been a lot of attacking football in general, and I've really enjoyed the tournament so far - particularly when you compare it to something like the 2011 Copa América and, to a lesser extent, the 2010 World Cup.

Can anyone tell me if Gomes was rested or dropped last night? Have him backed for top goal scorer and was shocked to see him on the bench.

Tell me about it i had the tosser in my fantasy side glad i give ronaldo the armband now

France will try and stagnate Spain tonight

Seems to be a worrying pandemic in football since that Chelsea game

Chelsea aside, how often does it work though? Not many times. The Czechs and Greeks tried to and both deservedly lost

To be fair, the Czechs managed to do it for 80 minutes, and the Greeks for 40.

It's certainly, for sides playing superior teams, a much better option than (trying to) play attacking expansive football.

We have never beaten a major footballing nation in the knock out phase of a competition other than at Wembley.

Please tell me that this stat is incorrect :(

footballing heavyweight ;)

Roy Hodgson has the chance to make history tomorrow :)

Anyone find it odd that Hodgson seems so much more confident now going into the match against Italy than when we were playing Sweden and Ukraine?

I think its because so far its gone pretty well for us and we've reached the quarter finals having gained 7 points in the group and finished top ahead of France. I think most people would have expected us to struggle to even reach the quarter finals so he's got nothing to lose. Roy and the team will come out with some credibility whatever happens from here on in

re greece:

we got beat by the better side. germans are a fantastic side we tried but couldnt overcome the powerhouse known as germany. still gave them a lil scare but am proud of our efforts

hopefully england can do what greece couldnt!

Love Lawro prediction for the game England to win on penalties as they have a top goalkeeper in Hart.

Italy must have just found some random bloke to get in goal not the world cup winning, most expensive goalkeeper in the world and probably in top 5 keepers of all time :D

I thought they played well. It isn't easy to play against 11 men behind the ball, yet they managed to create chances and should have been more clinical. In the second half they were allowed more space and subsequently put Greece away with ease.

Similar to Spain in many ways. I don't think you can just defend against them. They can get a goal from anywhere, and if you go behind, you're ****.

I hope this EC rewards teams that have the courage to play football, and so far it has.

Love Lawro prediction for the game England to win on penalties as they have a top goalkeeper in Hart.

Italy must have just found some random bloke to get in goal not the world cup winning, most expensive goalkeeper in the world and probably in top 5 keepers of all time :D

Actually Hart would possibly be the difference, Buffon has been involved in a lot of shootouts and I don't remember him performing well for a single one. His record is that of a much worse keeper from the spot.

Anyway not particularly confident for tomorrow, we've defended decent but performances have been pretty crap, and also having a pretty poor group helped. Still a good defence and anything can happen.

Just seen the press conference. It's safe to say Hodgson's Italian is better than Capello's English. If we beat Italy they'll credit it to Capello.

Every time I hear Roy speak he is impressive. How many languages does he speak?

He's managed in Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Finland and UAE. I've read he speaks five languages. He mustn't have learnt Arabic, the lazy sod.

Â