Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffon has been involved in a lot of shootouts and I don't remember him performing well for a single one.

2006 WC final.

Did he? Or was it just poor penalties? France lost Zidane, they're only 'reliable' penalty taker. I don't remember much other than Trezeguet missing.

He has however lost to Milan in 2003, Spain in 2008. Being outperformed by the other keeper.

For a keeper who was the best in the world, and is still right up there, it's pretty poor.

he made a few saves in 2003 and 2008 if i recall

He has however lost to Milan in 2003, Spain in 2008. Being outperformed by the other keeper.

cant compare if his teammates take crap penalties it doesnt make the other keeper better than him

In the 7 knockout games Spain have played since losing in the 2006 world cup,

they've won 7, scored 8, conceded 0

£10 on a 1-0 Spain victory tonight for me :D

he made a few saves in 2003 and 2008 if i recall

cant compare if his teammates take crap penalties it doesnt make the other keeper better than him

Didn't save a single one in 06, saved two in 03 and one in 08. 2003 is a bit different, him and Dida both came 4-5 yards off of there line and it was just a joke.

Anyway, point being his shootout record isn't as good as say, Neuer, Cech, Casilias, Reina etc. But he's better than most of them as a keeper.

Buffon has been involved in a lot of shootouts and I don't remember him performing well for a single one.

2006 WC final.

I'm not sure how you can sight that as an example of him performing well in a shoot out. Sure he was on the winning side but he didn't save a single penalty, in fact he didn't even get close to one as far as I can recall.

So what is the reasoning behind thinking Germany are 'there for the taking in reality'?

They are arrogant, but they've won 15 games on the bounce. They won 4-1 and are in the semis. Only a fool would think they are 'there for the taking'.

I can only see Spain or Portugal stopping them. Spain because, well, they are the best. Portugal because of any team in the world, they are made to play against possession teams.

4-2 no ?

Any half decent team that go toe to toe with Germany will take them down IMHO

Based on shock factor and the temperamental nature of the likes of Muller, Gomez & Sweinsteiger

I also see vulnerability in their back 4

Germany looked full of arrogance and complacency

They are there for the taking in reality

Not surprising when they were up against Greece.

You will see a different attitude when they play England or Italy.

Based on shock factor and the temperamental nature of the likes of Muller, Gomez & Sweinsteiger

have never seen them 3 players do anything temperamental before and conceding 2 goals in the toughest group indicates decent defence ;)

have never seen them 3 players do anything temperamental before and conceding 2 goals in the toughest group indicates decent defence ;)

The toughest group in what way? Football isn't played on paper. One can only assume you didn't see the games. Holland were dreadful, Portugal didn't turn up until 80 minutes in and Belgium? Yeah....

Group of death my arse. Germany are coasting, let's see them up against a proper side eh, like whomever wins tomorrow....

Anyone see Reus' comments. Very arrogant. "Germany have the better squad, England have over achieved by getting out of the group". I speak a bit of German so I know exactly what he said. Nothing lost in transition. Usually players are not that open in press conferences, it could come back to bite him in the arse.

I think Germany have been the best side so far though. Anyone disagree?

Anyone see Reus' comments. Very arrogant. "Germany have the better squad, England have over achieved by getting out of the group". I speak a bit of German so I know exactly what he said. Nothing lost in transition. Usually players are not that open in press conferences, it could come back to bite him in the arse.

I think Germany have been the best side so far though. Anyone disagree?

Hard to really. I think Italy were close on the best performance against Spain, England showed the most spirit in the comeback win against Sweden. I think Spain have been extremely disappointing.

Yeah, ze krauts have steamrollered their way through so far. Nothing spectacular just yet but I have a feeling they're already in top gear.

The toughest group in what way? Football isn't played on paper. One can only assume you didn't see the games. Holland were dreadful, Portugal didn't turn up until 80 minutes in and Belgium? Yeah....

Group of death my arse. Germany are coasting, let's see them up against a proper side eh, like whomever wins tomorrow....

One could argue that the likes of Portugal and Holland were made to look poor by the Germans' quality.

Anyway, zee Germans, they are getting very arrogant aren't they, like Barcelona always are.

One could argue that the likes of Portugal and Holland were made to look poor by the Germans' quality.

Nah. Portugal had 10 men plus Ronaldo behind the ball for night on 80 minutes, it was nonsensical. Once they started to have a go Germany were very, very lucky to come away with three points.

Holland missed a couple of sitters before Germany scored two absolutely spectacular goals. The first is goal of the tournament for me so far. The Dutch though might have got a point by the end.

That said, Germany are incredibly, incredibly efficient. Hate that phrase but it just about sums them up. They're susceptible to pace IMO.

I think it is fair to say that there is no really impressive side in this years tournament. Last time it was Spain, 2004 Czechs and 2000 Holland, Italy and France.

Euro 2000 is still the best one. I know it was a while ago now, but for quality and excitement it was the best.

Â