SPECULATION: Kyle Naughton (Spurs)

Villan4Life

I expect Spurs are playimg hardball and demanding unrealistic amounts for him as GlastonSpur alludes to.

I didn't say that at all.

I said that Spurs will probably wait until a new manager is appointed and has had a chance to review his squad options, which might of course lead to deciding to keep Naughton.

I also said that - IF Spurs were willing to sell - it's unrealistic to expect they'll do so without expecting to sell at a profit.

Well I supposed we will have to agree to disagree. Because I watched quite a lot of Simpson this year and thought he was a good enough player. In terms of reality at the moment it is also the range we should be aiming for. Maybe I am alone in thinking we are not going to be after all the best talent available and that we probably will not finish top 5/6 next season. It is about progressing and doing so within our means and a better established finance/wage structure. I beleive that signings like Simpson would be good at the moment and then we can continually build on our scouting in the meantime and be capable of bringing in even better players for the future to continue pushing up.

We certainly do. Do you speak so condescending to everyone ? First accusing me of making an opinion based on the fact he doesnt play for one of the traditional big clubs in england, and now saying I have un realistic expectations ?

Cant quite remember saying I expect us to be top 6, cant quite remember anyone else on this thread recently saying we should finish top 6. Where are you getting this from ??

I am fully aware we have limitations in terms of wage, transfer kitty and the pull of the club at the moment. However if all i have to look forward to is signing more mediocre players for a team which distinctly lacks quality then im not going to be thrilled.

Id rather us take a punt on Nathan Clyne than sign Simpson.

Well I supposed we will have to agree to disagree. Because I watched quite a lot of Simpson this year and thought he was a good enough player. In terms of reality at the moment it is also the range we should be aiming for. Maybe I am alone in thinking we are not going to be after all the best talent available and that we probably will not finish top 5/6 next season. It is about progressing and doing so within our means and a better established finance/wage structure. I beleive that signings like Simpson would be good at the moment and then we can continually build on our scouting in the meantime and be capable of bringing in even better players for the future to continue pushing up.

We certainly do. Do you speak so condescending to everyone ? First accusing me of making an opinion based on the fact he doesnt play for one of the traditional big clubs in england, and now saying I have un realistic expectations ?

Cant quite remember saying I expect us to be top 6, cant quite remember anyone else on this thread recently saying we should finish top 6. Where are you getting this from ??

I am fully aware we have limitations in terms of wage, transfer kitty and the pull of the club at the moment. However if all i have to look forward to is signing more mediocre players for a team which distinctly lacks quality then im not going to be thrilled.

Id rather us take a punt on Nathan Clyne than sign Simpson.

I do not think I was condescending at all tbh. I drew a line and said we obviously just will not agree on the matter. And never in my post did I accuse you of saying we would be top 5/6. That point being made was to reinforce that signing Simpson would not be the end of the world.

But anyways back on topic, I would expect Spurs to play hardball no matter what, Levy certainly has a reputation for getting the most for his players even when they are no longer wnated...I mean the man got us to pay 3mill or so for Hutton. Still would be happy to pay up to 5mill for Naughton and if not pursue a Simpson, Clyne, etc...And if all fails, someone even younger and give Lichaj the chance he deserves at RB, assuming he is not our LB.

I think we might have taken him off their hands if they were prepared to be realistic about a fee (which I consider should be no higher than £4m) and surely they should offer us a discount if not for what we gave them for Hutton for what we paid them for Jenas! :winkold: If they are looking to take us for mugs again, I think we will move on because Lambo will have a value in mind for the player and will need to take into account the impact that paying any more than that might have on his being able to bring in other players.

Levy will hold out for a big fee, he only has to look at our transfer history to know we tend to overpay for some of our players.

Whether we are smart enough to move on and look elsewhere or simply just carry on overpaying will be interesting to see.

You can't realistically expect to sell a player on for a profit, who only made 1 first team appearance for your side.

You're forgetting the 28 appearances for Norwich in the Prem.

When we signed him he had no Prem experience, but now he's shown he can make the step up. Spurs took a gamble that this would be the case - a gamble that any new club won't have to make.

So, pretty obviously, Spurs (if they sell) will expect to make a profit from a successful gamble.

You can't realistically expect to sell a player on for a profit, who only made 1 first team appearance for your side.

You're forgetting the 28 appearances for Norwich in the Prem.

When we signed him he had no Prem experience, but now he's shown he can make the step up. Spurs took a gamble that this would be the case - a gamble that any new club won't have to make.

So, pretty obviously, Spurs (if they sell) will expect to make a profit from a successful gamble.

I think the word hope rather than expect would be more apt.

In the grand scheme of things 28 appearances in the PL really doesn't mean a huge amount. He remains an unproven entity at this level having but granted as you say he has proven himself more than when you signed him.

And he's entering, as already explained but typically ignored, "The sell or lose even more value due to shortening contract" zone

Contract length is a factor, true. But in this case IMO it's outweighed by Naughton's now Prem-proven ability.

In any case, Spurs rarely sell young players for less than they paid for them.

But, hey-ho, if Spurs sell we'll see which of us is correct.

And he's entering, as already explained but typically ignored, "The sell or lose even more value due to shortening contract" zone

Contract length is a factor, true. But in this case IMO it's outweighed by Naughton's now Prem-proven ability.

Unless it's 'undisclosed'. :winkold:

*cough* only 28 games *cough*

Not actually that rare.

We probably won't because nobody knows how much he cost in the first place.

Â