SPECULATION: Kyle Naughton (Spurs)

Villan4Life

I don't think any decision about Naughton's future will be decided by Spurs until after a new manager is in place and has had a chance to consider things.

On the surface of things there might be a good chance that Naughton would be sold, provided that more money was offered than Spurs paid for him. But on the other hand, he would provide decent cover for Walker at RB and Lennon at RW, plus extra cover (beyond Vertonghen) for Ekotto at LB. Such versatility might be valued by the new manager, especialy given that Naughton now has some solid Prem experience under his belt.

Anyhow, it'll be a while before things become clearer either way.

I don't think any decision about Naughton's future will be decided by Spurs until after a new manager is in place and has had a chance to consider things.

On the surface of things there might be a good chance that Naughton would be sold, provided that more money was offered than Spurs paid for him. But on the other hand, he would provide decent cover for Walker at RB and Lennon at RW, plus extra cover (beyond Vertonghen) for Ekotto at LB. Such versatility might be valued by the new manager, especialy given that Naughton now has some solid Prem experience under his belt.

Anyhow, it'll be a while before things become clearer either way.

Not sure that new managers have much to do with it at Spurs.

Recouping a transfer fee that was £8mil for both Walker and Naughton is rather unrealistic in reality isn't it, in fact it's patent nonsense, football really doesn't work like that. I presume Naughton has 2 years left on his contract and given that he's been loaned to three different clubs in his three years at Spurs, it's fairly obvious he's not wanted at Spurs or at least that's the message that comes across to the outside world (and probably the player himself).

In fact as if to prove this point, would Spurs sell Walker if the initial fee was recouped? no thought not, they'd be considered a bit bonkers because he's worth at least £10mil in today's money. (even if he can't defend very well - his stock is high). Naughton may still be worth £4mil but is that the initial fee? I doubt it, one suspects the initial split was heavier on Naughton's side when it came to book valuation, most likely a £5mil / £3mil split

.... Recouping a transfer fee that was £8mil for both Walker and Naughton is rather unrealistic in reality isn't it, in fact it's patent nonsense, football really doesn't work like that. I presume Naughton has 2 years left on his contract and given that he's been loaned to three different clubs in his three years at Spurs, it's fairly obvious he's not wanted at Spurs or at least that's the message that comes across to the outside world (and probably the player himself).

In fact as if to prove this point, would Spurs sell Walker if the initial fee was recouped? no thought not, they'd be considered a bit bonkers because he's worth at least £10mil in today's money. (even if he can't defend very well - his stock is high). Naughton may still be worth £4mil but is that the initial fee? I doubt it, one suspects the initial split was heavier on Naughton's side when it came to book valuation, most likely a £5mil / £3mil split

Spurs paid 10m (not 8m) for the pair, so going by your 'split-ratio' that would make Naughton's value 6.25m at the time.

Since then he's proven he can operate well at Prem level, which means (a) he's less of a gamble than compared to when Spurs signed him; and thus (B) his value has increased.

Regardless of what the actual split ratio was for Naughton, it defies common sense to believe that Spurs will sell a promising young player, who is less of a gamble now than when Spurs signed him, for less than what they paid for him. In fact, common sense should tell you that Spurs, if they choose to sell, will be expecting to make (at least) a small profit ... all the more so since Villa wouldn't be the only Prem club interested in Naughton.

As he's rarely played for Spurs and doesn't appear to be in the current plans of the club i wonder if that's true. As you say if there is more than one club in for him then you may recoup what you paid however £4m would be a decent fee for someone who is not in your plans and won't want to stay and play second or even third fiddle. He won't want to be cover. With 2 years left on his contract, if he doesn't go now or in January (whilst he retains a decent value) you may find you have to accept much less in his final year or risk losing him for nothing.

if Spurs rated him he'd be closer to the first XI.

Now is the best time for you to sell him.

Well some of that fee will reflect his potential. Considering he has shown himself to be a steady prem player and not much more, so far, I don't think it would be unreasonable to see him sold for £4m to £5m.

Don't disagree with the above but if Spurs want to get maximum value then they'll either sell him now or start playing him. They've got this summer and possibly the January window when everyone is scrambling around for half decent buys to shore up their season before he start to lose value.

I think, given the resources Spurs have for his position, they'll sell this summer, Jan latest if they don't think a suitable offer has come in. It wouldn't surprise me if he comes on loan with a view to a permanent buy.

I reckon he's a bit better than decent and something in the region of £6m is fair enough. Clubs arent throwing around the sort of money they were a few years ago. Everybody (well most clubs) is after bargains now and will look elsewhere if the price is too steep. There wont be that many clubs spending that kind of money on fullbacks. Certainly not Norwich and the like.

If Naughton is quoted too high then there are plenty of viable alternatives around. Clyne for instance, or plenty of solid players in Europe.

Lichaj and Herd are more than capable of doing a job there otherwise.

I hope we can do a deal for Naughton though.

.... Recouping a transfer fee that was £8mil for both Walker and Naughton is rather unrealistic in reality isn't it, in fact it's patent nonsense, football really doesn't work like that. I presume Naughton has 2 years left on his contract and given that he's been loaned to three different clubs in his three years at Spurs, it's fairly obvious he's not wanted at Spurs or at least that's the message that comes across to the outside world (and probably the player himself).

Spurs paid 10m (not 8m) for the pair, so going by your 'split-ratio' that would make Naughton's value 6.25m at the time.

Since then he's proven he can operate well at Prem level, which means (a) he's less of a gamble than compared to when Spurs signed him; and thus (B) his value has increased.

Regardless of what the actual split ratio was for Naughton, it defies common sense to believe that Spurs will sell a promising young player, who is less of a gamble now than when Spurs signed him, for less than what they paid for him. In fact, common sense should tell you that Spurs, if they choose to sell, will be expecting to make (at least) a small profit ... all the more so since Villa wouldn't be the only Prem club interested in Naughton.

Like I said, football doesn't work like that, the length of his contract is diminishing and there's no sign as of yet that Spurs have any interest in playing him regularly, if he's not sold this window and rarely gets a game for you between now and January, his price will be considerably less than £4mil come the next window, probably £2.5mil falling to £1mil in the next summer window. There are also quite a few options out there this summer in the full back dept so again market forces come into play.

Either Spurs genuinely see him as a first team player or now is the logical time to recoup on their initial outlay. If Spurs decide he's a first team player all well and good to the lad but one suspects he's hungry for more first team action after a season with Norwich so the club will have to play him often to stop him getting disillusioned.

Would they sell players before a new manager comes in?

Who knows but as they've been trying to favour the Director of Football approach to running a club for a good few years now, I don't see why not.

spot on Corluka is very slow and clumsy. should havve got a red card when Kevin Doyle gave him a torrid time last sunday until Trap took him off for a stupid reason :s

Â