Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

What we need is a deeper lying forward, less of a goal scorer (though some goals would help) and more of a creative link man. A Sheringham or Beardsley type to get the best out of Bent.

I don't have a clue who it would be or where we could find them but it isn't Holt, Keane is the right type of player but due to his age not the right player.

I hear you. And at 31, Robbie Keane is the same age as Grant Holt.

I'm only dipping into this thread but it seems to me that Holt sees this summer as his only chance to get a decent contract and earn a life changing amount of money. He has spent a career in the lower leagues and while he probably has done very well for himself I dont think he would be in a position to be able to retire on his earnings to date.

I cant blame the bloke for doing what he is doing really, but I guess everything is down to what Norwich think he is worth. He has two years left on his current contract as far as I am aware, and his agent says the club have declared him "too old" for a third year. I'm guessing if we buy him then he will be wanting three years, but how much will Norwich want as a transfer fee? They cant think he is worth more than £3-4m if they arent willing to offer him a one year extension on his contract and I'd think if we can get him for that kind of money then I'd take him just to improve our strength in depth. I dont think we should get involved in a bidding war with West Ham for the bloke though.

Not sure he'll be coming anyhow as I said the other day I was told with a whisper from another VT'r that whatever is/has been publically stated Holt & Lambert have had their differences in the past and it would be surprising if indeed he did come to Villa, from what he'd been told from that neck of the woods.

Just passing the whisper on.....

Agent_ITK on (the social networking sight that shall not be named but is named after something that birds commonly do) backs this statement up

grant holt ‏@holty30

Good luck to the gaffer will be sadly missed at Norwich. Enjoyed every minute of his 3 years.

Doesn't sound like they had differences to me mate.

He tweeted that days ago.

The recent falling out was over his contract with the CEO not Lambert, which is why he's touting himself out to leaving Norwich.

If he's looking for another club he'd hardly come out in public and say any different about his relationship with the gaffer would he?

However I was told regardless of the tweet - him & Lambert have not seen eye to eye for some ime.

Have you seen the tweets from Phil Daley local journo from Norwich as there's quotes from Holt's agent?

Phil Daley ‏@Phil_Daley

Holt's Agent speaks... "Grant wanted a 3rd year on his contract... David McNally told him you're too old".. #ncfc #holt

Phil Daley ‏@Phil_Daley

More from Holt's Agent.. "Being told you're too old de-railed Grant... He wanted to finish his career at Norwich City".. #ncfc #holt

Phil Daley ‏@Phil_Daley

Agent "When I told CEO Holt would hand in transfer, his reply was, I won't lose any sleep over it"..

Phil Daley ‏@Phil_Daley

The management situation was nothing to do with Holt's decision and it's "rubbish" that's he's off to Villa with Lambert. - Agent.

Getting the impression from what's been going on last couple of weeks that actually David McNally tells pork pies in public and is possibly not a very nice

man..

Telling your star striker's agent that he wouldn't lose any sleep over a transfer request being handed in, is possibly not the most tactful of thing to say in the circumstances.

Hardly surprising reading that lot also...why Lambert was so angry with the club for withdrawing permission for him to speak to AVFC. that's why he handed in his resignation.

Getting the impression from what's been going on last couple of weeks that actually David McNally tells pork pies in public and is possibly not a very nice

man..

Telling your star striker's agent that he wouldn't lose any sleep over a transfer request being handed in, is possibly not the most tactful of thing to say in the circumstances.

Hardly surprising reading that lot also...why Lambert was so angry with the club for withdrawing permission for him to speak to AVFC. that's why he handed in his resignation.

:thumb:

weren't we playing with an average age of about 23 towards the end of last season? i think the squad is screaming out for a fewer older and more experienced players.

at the prices and the wages that he will be earning, i'd have him in a flash. good alternative to have if its not working for bent, and could be vital if bent is out for a prolonged period of time.

not having a proven scorer in the latter stages of the season nearly killed us... i genuinely could not see where our next goal was going to come from in some games... we can't run that risk again this season...

and i don't think buying kids with more potential is what we need at all... thing with holt is - even if he has the best years of his career with the villa, he'll only have two or three, which means it won't necesarily destroy the development of younger players like andi or the fonz... bring in another 22 year old, and one or both of them has to go...

Well I'd actually sell delfouneso and gabby to be honest.

I think that we need to do just that & add Hutton & Collins to that list,finding a buyer for the last 2 is the problem.

I reckon that Norwich will ask too much for Holt, 4 million would have to be tops.

I really hope we dont sign a proven goalscorer,

I believe Marlon Harewood scored 16 goals for West Ham in a Premier league season. To describe Holt as a 'proven goalscorer' after 1 season in top flight at the age of 31 is a bit exagerated. We have Bent - now that is a proven goalscorer. We can spend our money on better players than Holt.

What we need is a deeper lying forward, less of a goal scorer (though some goals would help) and more of a creative link man. A Sheringham or Beardsley type to get the best out of Bent.

I don't have a clue who it would be or where we could find them but it isn't Holt, Keane is the right type of player but due to his age not the right player.

A bit left field but how about Giovani dos Santos?

Versatile but a bit up and down, usually brilliant in the national team.

Worth a punt?

Lukaku or Guidetti on loan would be good short term options up front

We should only loan players with option to buy, not to loan players and develop them for other teams.

Yes, that would be ideal, but we're not really in competition with Chelsea or Man C anymore so i rather we help develop players for them than spend big money on overpriced players from Norwish and the teams around us that they can use to improve their teams.

Striker is not a priority but if we want another proven goal scorer id go down the Saha/Yakubu route as opposed to holt

Got a bad feeling lambert will want holt though

for £1 million and £30k p/w i would say yes, anything more than that and i would suspect Lambo is actually MON with lots of plastic surgery.

i dont think Lambo will go for him, there is a different set of players, different remit and ambitions

i do think he may look to germany as he still appears to be held in good regard there.

to be honest, i dont really care who he signs as long as they also fit the remit of young dynamic exciting which was the remit for the manager.

taking 2 or 3 of the best young players in the championship each season for the next 3 years and adding them to our squad with maybe 1 or 2 top players would seem the best and safest way to go, we have decent enough squad players coming in from or youth but we cant be fielding a team made up of them, there isnt enough all round quality for that.

to be honest, i dont really care who he signs as long as they also fit the remit of young dynamic exciting which was the remit for the manager.

I certainly think that we are aiming for dynamic vibrant play but I think it is wrong to think that every player we sign will be young and nor should they. I don't care really as long as they help us improve as a club