Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

My guess is PL would like to bring Holt to villa but he will know that we already have a decent No. 9 in Darren Bent so it will be down to his judgement of whether they can play together in his system or whether the (limited) budget should be spent elsewhere. I'm dubious of spending what will likely be £5+ million on a player we low resale value on the back of one admittedly decent season. The prem is littered with one season wonders, have to wonder why he has spent 10+ years in the lower leagues.

The priority is not another CF

More pressing are full backs, DCM, wingers

I'd agree with that - defence needs a big shakeup - Midfield is where we struggled. Forwards - have enough (at the moment). With some of the young guns coming through - we need a bit of experience and desire in those area's

Holt only signed a new 3 year deal last July and scored 17 goals last season, so we're in a position to put whatever price on his head we want.

West Ham have apparently bid £4.5 m for him yesterday, think if they push that up to £6m we might consider it, not a bad deal for someone who cost us £400k, 3 years ago and is 32 early next year.

And suppose the player doesn't want to go to Wet Spam but prefers a bigger club?

Well yu are welcome to him for about £6m though the rumour is that Lambert wont be able to approach any of our players for 12 months( same as swansea have with Rodgers)

If a player wants to leave a club we know from bitter experience there aint much hs club can do about it. Then if he expressly states he wants to go to a particular club it does put the buying club in a strong position. The selling club cannot afford to try and keep a player who does not want to play for them and who will not talk to any club save the one he wants

Yes we need strengthening in defence and midfield but we also need supplementing in attack. We have one decent striker, one who as been here all his life and is stale and lacking quality, a young lad with promise and another young lad who thinks he is billy big bollocks but without the ability to match. If bent is out for any length of time we are fecked. Holt coming in to help our attack whilst Weimann develops sounds fine o me

The priority is not another CF

More pressing are full backs, DCM, wingers

I'd agree with that - defence needs a big shakeup - Midfield is where we struggled. Forwards - have enough (at the moment). With some of the young guns coming through - we need a bit of experience and desire in those area's

I concur.

Allardyce has gone in for Holt and Im not suprised by that. Typical big sam player, he is like Kevin Davies. Signing Holt means you intend to go direct and pump balls into the box. I think we should avoid him, i think he will be utter bollocks next year and score about 4 goals. Everyone will have forgot about Grant Holt by summer next year.

Bent, Gabby, Weimann are not enough, Holt IMO would be a good signing at the right price and then try and recoup a little bit of the fee by getting rid of Delfouneso as he's never gonna make a first team regular.

Jordan Rhodes is 22 and scored 40 goals this season. Would prefer him over Grant any day.

I saw my fair share of league 1 this season goin to watch wednesday a lot with my mate and dont underestimate how poor the football is...

even if you watched the play offs you would realise that...

no doubt the guy knows where the goal is and 40 goals is nothing to be laughed at...

but some of the defences were so poor....

to be honest i think Ched Evans was the better striker..had a better all round game, but less said about that rocket polisher the better

he might be worth the step up but id rather take Holt right now

Have to say having watched Rhodes and Rodriguez at Burnley, for me Rodriguez is the one i would go for.

Obviously PL will have his own thoughts/targets, but i hope we go for young up and coming stars, and not players who are coming for a final pay day.So no to Holt for me.

I remember another time we were all unsure & moaning about signing an ageing centre forward in his 30's...

He went on to score the winner in a European cup final :lol:

I wouldn't mind him here actually & trust PL's judgement..If he wants him he should know his abilities more than anybody so get him in!

I remember another time we were all unsure & moaning about signing an ageing centre forward in his 30's...

He went on to score the winner in a European cup final :lol:

I wouldn't mind him here actually & trust PL's judgement..If he wants him he should know his abilities more than anybody so get him in!

I remember a more recent example, Emile Heskey.

We can all post examples of players to support either side of such an discussion point but they they are of no real significance to evaluating the value of any signing.

Some signings are good others aren't and that applies whatever the age. Where age becomes important is when signings don't work out and large amounts of money are concerned.

Given our current issue with wages and the limited amount we have to spend paying out larelge sums for players not far off 32 to me seems like bad business regardless of their ability.